4 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Thanks for that mental visual Martian. I think I'm going to have a drink or 10 to wash it from my feeble brain:drink:Garson!

That's alright for you, you weren't there! Wibble! :frantic:

Traumatised of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

Could we please install an trigger warning, spoiler alert, parental advisory or whatever nowadays is the weapon of choice, to prevent poor little innocent modellers of such traumatising and deeply disturbing content?! 

Aaaaaahhhhh - these images, these thoughts! :zombie:

Me must think of puppies. Nice puppies. Harmless puppies, puppies, nothing but puppies, until pictures go away... :banghead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Could we please install an trigger warning, spoiler alert, parental advisory or whatever nowadays is the weapon of choice, to prevent poor little innocent modellers of such traumatising and deeply disturbing content?! 

Aaaaaahhhhh - these images, these thoughts! :zombie:

No we can't and don't be such a woos. I am given to understand that there was something along those lines, in the small microscopic print, back in the dim and distant past, but @Mikedeleted it as nobody seemed to be reading it. Man up and be a Martian!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

It just occurred to me that in order to avoid any further shock to @Chief Cohiba,  I give due warning that actual styrene will be making a return to these august pages on Sunday, when I will have returned from my travels and washed a load of Pembrokeshire's finest cow splonge off of Sarah-Jane. I had made some progress with the scribing just before I left but there was not sufficient time to do the pictures.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Jawoll! Me tough Martian frontschwein, sir! Full force Gung-ho modeller me is, making Generals and Martians proud, sir! Will not happen again, sir!

That's better! We don't want to go upsetting the Herr General do we? We have enough trouble keeping him sedated quiet as it is.

Is that all in order @general melchett?

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Martian said:

Pembrokeshire's finest cow splonge off of Sarah-Jane

Thank for your kind forgiveness in this wee and dark hour of mine *shiver*.

As a distraction from sheep content and other topics of unspeakable horror, could you spread a light of she who got covered in those western herbivore droppings? This modelling chief is not only a friend of weird-shaped styrene but also an aficionado of old sheet metal and the smell of pure, carb-filtered gasoline, so it would shine a light of hope in these dark days of smart-phone like cars...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While struggling to digest the move from sheep to cattle, I uncovered this:

Zeppelinover-Engeland.jpg

The L-150 number on the bow of this airship is obviously a fib. My hopes of it being L-15 and so helping out Martian on his styrene journey were unfounded: this tatty booklet contains an embellished (and very anti-British) version of L-50's wartime log of a raid on London in 1917.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Martian said:

Man up and be a Martian!

Shouldn’t that be ‘Martian up and be a man’.....

1 hour ago, Martian said:

I give due warning that actual styrene will be making a return to these august pages on Sunday, when I will have returned from my travels and washed a load of Pembrokeshire's finest cow splonge off of Sarah-Jane. I had made some progress with the scribing just before I left but there was not sufficient time to do the pictures.

I sincerely hope Sarah-Jane appreciates a rigorous flanneling-down following your sojourn to God’s Own Country. As my dear departed father would yell vigorously from the ramparts of Lord Melchett’s Castle, in the heart of Ceredigion while preparing to do battle with the hordes of holidaymakers descending on his ‘turf’.... ‘ydynt yn ei hoffi i fyny‘. ....quite right.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, dukdalf said:

Battlebagstrim.jpg

Just a nudge to take this thread away from farm animals, but with my sincere respects to the general.

That book is an excellent read.

3 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Thank for your kind forgiveness in this wee and dark hour of mine *shiver*.

As a distraction from sheep content and other topics of unspeakable horror, could you spread a light of she who got covered in those western herbivore droppings? This modelling chief is not only a friend of weird-shaped styrene but also an aficionado of old sheet metal and the smell of pure, carb-filtered gasoline, so it would shine a light of hope in these dark days of smart-phone like cars...

It's all across many of the roads here. Organic Stone Chip if you like.

2 hours ago, dukdalf said:

While struggling to digest the move from sheep to cattle, I uncovered this:

Zeppelinover-Engeland.jpg

The L-150 number on the bow of this airship is obviously a fib. My hopes of it being L-15 and so helping out Martian on his styrene journey were unfounded: this tatty booklet contains an embellished (and very anti-British) version of L-50's wartime log of a raid on London in 1917.   

It would be anti-British; we were at war with them. Curiously enough, the contemporary British literature have read has a decided anti-German flavour to it. Must have been something to do with the bombs.

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

ydynt yn ei hoffi i fyny‘. ....

Language Timothy!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Any progress on the gondola windows? :devil:

:dalek1:

Evil child! Take 5000 lines "I must remember that the gondolas are getting paint effects for windows". And no using copy and paste either. I want them delivered to Martian Towers in your best Earthling handwriting.

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

On 20/11/2021 at 23:13, Martian said:

I don't think I will ever forget that day and the kindness shown to me on that day. So you see, this project is so much more than the usual build for me, it's very personal and that is why it has gone straight to the top of my post Telford "To build" pile.

What a great story.There is hope for humanity with nice people like that in the World !  I've found people in Suffolk go the extra mile in general. I have a place in Southwold and know Theberton of course. I will make a visit to the church and the museum. Love the family history connection as well. What a great reason to do a build! 

regards, Andy

• Like 2

On 16/12/2021 at 01:30, Martian said:

Alright, which one of you reprobates did this? Melchett!

Sheep.jpg

Martian 👽

Hmmm jumping into this thread in the middle I have to say that Takom have clearly got the shape and markings wrong . Those underfuselage gondolas appear to be hoofed  and the fuselage is too short ...also the nose is pointing down 

• Haha 7

On 17/12/2021 at 13:28, Brandy said:

He's wiping poop off them as we speak.

Ian

Wicked child! You know the drill, 5000 lines "I must remember that the gondolas are getting paint effects for windows". However, I am just off to get all the poop washed off of Sarah-Jane.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

really sorry to divert the banter back to the subject in hand but........ I know as much about Zeppelins as the UK government knows about not throwing the odd party or ten during lockdown, as I've got this kit on back order,  any suggested reading/reference books ??

thanks

neil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, npb748r said:

really sorry to divert the banter back to the subject in hand but........ I know as much about Zeppelins as the UK government knows about not throwing the odd party or ten during lockdown, as I've got this kit on back order,  any suggested reading/reference books ??

thanks

neil

Ray Rimmel's books as suggested by @europapete are the best bet, especially Zeppelin!. do shop around for this title though as prices can get a bit silly.

A good no cost reference for P Class ships can be found here:

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/12140479/zeppelin-p-class

For those looking forward to actual plastic worrying, I can report that this has resumed following my return from Wales and an update is imminent.

Hope that helps.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Right, as promised we have some progress and quite a lot of information to impart.

As I suspected, there is more to scribing a Zeppelin than one might expect and a slightly different approach is needed. The reason for this is the scalloped surfaces where the frame lines go over the longerons. After a lot of trial and error, mostly error, I think I have found the best way to go about this.

In picture one, you will see the partly scribed Q Class ship with some tools beneath it.

028.jpg

From left to right, you will see a razor saw, a round tipped scriber, a Trumpeter scriber, a Tamiya scriber and a sanding stick.

The first thing to do is to take your saw and very carefully push it up against the masking tape so that it rests between two longerons. Then gently saw a guide cut into the two longerons. Repeat this until you have completed the whole circumference of a frame. This will help prevent the subsequent scribers from being thrown off course by the humps created by the longerons.

Next, take the rounded scriber and once again, using the masking tape as a guide, very gently scribe a line around the position of the frame.

Next up, take the Dragon scriber and using the guide we have just created with the round scriber, scribe around the frame position we have just cut into the plastic. This will have the effect of both deepening and widening our frame line.

We then take the Tamiya scriber and cut further into the groove cut by the thinner Trumpeter scriber. This will have the effect of deepening and widening the frame line to the degree we need.

Next, remove the tape from the frame and remove any burrs with the sanding stick. This will fill up the frame lines with fine white sanding dust. This can be removed later but for now, it serves the function of showing us whether we have got the line nice and even.

Do have some filler such as Mr Surfacer or Mr Dissolved Gloop on hand, ready to fill in any areas where the scribers may have gone astray. We can sand this smooth and correct the frame line later. Believe you me, there will be a few areas but with a little care, there won't be that many. From a concentration point of view, I recommend doing about a third of a ship at a time. I tried doing the P Class in halves and towards the end of each halve, mistakes were creeping in with much greater rapidity than I was happy with.

The above should leave you with a decent set of frame lines and the hull of the airship will look a whole lot more realistic. The trick really is to take your time.

029.jpg

Hopefully that will but should you think it too much work, you can always try tempting the Matchbox Trench Digger  out of retirement. His aircraft panel lines would look about right on these models!

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

• Like 19

16 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Martian, that's an exercise in Zen modeling as I've ever seen. WOW! :thumbsup:

Thanks Loren, a fair bit of sanding and tidying up of frame lines still to come though. It's more an exercise in sheer bloody mindedness if I am honest.

Stubborn of Mars  👽

• Haha 1