20 hours ago, Marklo said:

And yes before anyone else mentions it, it was a remarkably large courgette . If I remember correctly I ended up stuffing it and baking it. ( now where’s  @CedB these days?)

Snort! F'nar etc

(I seem to have volunteered myself as the Forums standby auxiliary (Acting unpaid) Ced). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Snort! F'nar etc

(I seem to have volunteered myself as the Forums standby auxiliary (Acting unpaid) Ced). 

Very public spirited of you Pete.

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

I do feel there should be some kind of a mrs Miggins reference there but am incapable of composing one. Where’s  @general melchett when you need him  !!!

Quite! I'm sure he has a whole fund of stories involving stuffing and baking together with Baldrick's thingy shaped turnip.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

We now have the hull of the P Class glued together and have the first of the heads ups. While there is a good strong join between the fore ad aft parts of the hull, there is a small but very noticeable step between them. A small amount of filler and some vigorous sanding will take care of this. There is a gap between the fore and aft lower panels for the hull and a section of .30 'thou plastic card was let into fill it.

At this stage, probably the most urgent heads up involves the supports for the rudders and elevators. These are very prone to catching on just about anything in their way with concomitant risk of damage or breaking. I found the best thing to do was to get the elevators and rudders prepared early on in the build and get them fitted to the main assembly as soon as possible. This adds considerable strength to this area.

Even though there is a considerable gap between the control surfaces and their respective rudder/elevator posts, I felt that the gap between the upper rudder and the rudder post was too great and let in some plastic stock to reduce it a bit.

Most of the locations for the gondola and outrigger supports are just anaemic dimples and will offer little or no support when we come to build these areas. I have therefore deepened these by drilling them out and enlarging them slightly to allow for some wriggle room when I come to tackle these areas of the model.

Next up will be to sand the hull down a bit more and start marking out where the the frames for the hull should be and begin scribing them.

The blobs on the last picture are drops of water from were I have been wet sanding the model and not dried it off properly.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

014.jpg

016.jpg

013.jpg

• Like 22

13 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Is the step between for and aft hulls all the way round, or can it it be removed by appropriate pieces of microstrip between the parts?  Or at least minimised?

It is there all the way round but I found that a smear of Mr White Putty and sanding out over about four inches either side of the join took the step away without leaving a dip in the hull and without any need for adding plastic stock. The step is very small but does need attention all the same. Once the putty had cured, it took me less than half an hour to remedy matters.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

On 11/23/2021 at 5:07 PM, Marklo said:

And yes before anyone else mentions it, it was a remarkably large courgette . If I remember correctly I ended up stuffing it and baking it. ( now where’s  @CedB these days?)

And now I'm hearing Prince in my head... "Remarkably large courgette, baby you drive too fast..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, europapete said:

looking good Martian, too late now, but for other builders, how about joining the fore n aft parts first using dry fit to eliminate most or all of the step, then glueing the two built halves?  Would that work? Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks Pete, that could work, though there will be some filling regardless as there are one or two small holes that need filling.

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

And now I'm hearing Prince in my head... "Remarkably large courgette, baby you drive too fast..."

So, what's it going to be when I have the larger Q Class together? Or if Takom go on todo the even larger R Class!

Martian 👽

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian said:

So, what's it going to be when I have the larger Q Class together? Or if Takom go on todo the even larger R Class!

Well there were plenty of British airships ( well I can think of at least 2) that said a Gotha or a Zepplin Stakken might be nice to continue in the first Battle of Britain ( yes there is a book and I have read it) theme or perhaps a BE12 or a Comic.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Great to see that the insanity has now reached takeoff speed and now seems to be climbing to operational height.

Re-Assured of Mars 👽

PS: In other news, I have begun assembling the hull of the Q Class kit. Strangely the fit seems to be better on this one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

What has he been up to recently? I hear you all ask. The answer is that I have been busy getting the Q Class ship to the same stage that the P Classis at. I have just the filling on the lower hull panels of the Q Class left to do and they will both be ready for a lot of fine sanding and polishing, prior to all that scribing that I have been so looking forward to.

This leads me to a question. The next stage on the hulls is not exactly going to be a five minute process and is likely to be somewhat short on "eye candy". Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might keep you all entertained whilst this process is taking place?

I thought about showing where I have got to with Mark1's 1/720 R Class kit That I am converting to the L.48 but that build is at exactly the same stage as these two bad boys. I notice that Airfix's BE 2c has markings for Leefe Robinson's machine so I could just about fit that on the bench or I could put some pictures up of my Zeppelin souvenirs. I also have a 54mm figure of Kapitain-Leutnant Peter Strasser that plan to add to the display.

Anyway here are some not very interesting pictures. Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Martian said:

The next stage on the hulls is not exactly going to be a five minute process and is likely to be somewhat short on "eye candy".

what is the next stage all about ?? You mention loads of scribing, would be good to understand what and why - if this had wings and was made of metal I'd know instantly what you planned to do but being new to floaty things I am clueless (as I have been for most of my life really !!!). By the way, on the back of this post I have one of these on backorder at an online store so following with interest so I can learn something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, npb748r said:

what is the next stage all about ?? You mention loads of scribing, would be good to understand what and why - if this had wings and was made of metal I'd know instantly what you planned to do but being new to floaty things I am clueless (as I have been for most of my life really !!!). By the way, on the back of this post I have one of these on backorder at an online store so following with interest so I can learn something.

When you look at a Zeppelin you can see longitudinal stringers which Takom have got right. You will also see very prominent vertical lines, spaced at regular intervals. these are where the frames of the airship are located and where the outer covering of the envelope is stitched to the frames. Takom have neglected to represent these and this is the scribing to which I refer.

Hopefully this makes things clearer:

Inked-LZ-18-LI.jpg

Martian 👽

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SallysDad said:

I would love to see a Hindenburg in this scale. And how about one in 1/72 also?

Great build, Martin.

I can scarcely tell Mrs Martian that she has to sleep in the outside toilet in order to make way for a 1/72 Zeppelin.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Forget about the outside dunny, I dare say Martian, were you to bring a 1/72 Zeppelin home., Mrs. Martian would promptly and physically store it in a most uncomfortable dark hangar.

• Haha 9

32 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Forget about the outside dunny, I dare say Martian, were you to bring a 1/72 Zeppelin home., Mrs. Martian would promptly and physically store it in a most uncomfortable dark hangar.

You mean @general melchett's Battle Pants? Very dark and even more uncomfortable I am told by Darling. Actually, she would probably set all the propellers spinning first! :yikes:

Martian 👽

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1