1 hour ago, bar side said:

Tom would be building it in 1/32 though

He would also be leasing space at Cardington to build and store it!

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

I was fiddling about with the fins and tail planes, getting them ready for rigging and they persisted in sliding off the bench. After the umpteenth time on my tentacles and knees, involving an ever increasing amount of naughty Martian swear words, I decided that the best way not to lose them was to glue them to the model. After all, even I can't lose a Zeppelin can I? Silence in the cheap seats!

An early heads up is that the rebates for the tail planes are a bit too narrow for them to fit properly. A few minutes action with a needle file at the base of the tail planes soon had this sorted.

That will be all for today as Mrs Martian's roast lamb is calling, along with her bear, Snuggle's best apple crumble and a bottle of Rioja: the Zepps have no chance

Hungry of Mars 👽

010.jpg

011.jpg

• Like 18

1 minute ago, Martian said:

That will be all for today as Mrs Martian's roast lamb is calling, along with her bear, Snuggle's best apple crumble and a bottle of Rioja: the Zepps have no chance

Zepps? What Zepps? Gimme a knife, fork and glass!     :eat:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

Pray tell, why the cocktail sticks?

Curious of Earth

To hold the elastic bands clear of the joins when I apply liquid cement so that capillary action does not divert  the glue from the joins and down the elastic bands, thus spoiling the surface of the kit.

Happy to help.

In other news, I am happy to report that Snuggle's crumble was absolutely stellar. Move over Paul Hollywood, Bakeoff has a prospective new head judge!

011.jpg

012.jpg

Martian 👽

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

On 21/11/2021 at 10:04, Ali62 said:

Hi Martian
Been curious about these, I see that you say the only difference between the kits is the extension piece, so although I am being a pain to ask you to confirm but are the gondolas exactly the same on both kits?

looking forward to see the progress

Ali

Hi Ali,

In response to your question, I did a closer comparison of the two kits. It transpires that Takom have provided different gondolas, the hull extension piece, different fins and a couple of new panels for the underside of the hull. As far as I can see, the only things they might have included in the kits are some extra Parabellum machine guns for the gondolas for those ships that carried them and an option for a rear gunner's position.

Hope that helps.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Martian said:

Mrs Martian's roast lamb is calling, along with her bear, Snuggle's best apple crumble and a bottle of Rioja: the Zepps have no chance

No contest. The roast lamb even without the apple crumble would win, but with it? 

Any leftovers available for international shipping?

Hopeful of Abu Dhabi

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Brandy said:

No contest. The roast lamb even without the apple crumble would win, but with it? 

Any leftovers available for international shipping?

Hopeful of Abu Dhabi

Sadly, this weak willed Alien scoffed the lot!

Bloated of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Don't turn the burner on under Snuggles' furry butt!

Nice work on the model so afar. Looking good.

No bears were harmed in the making of this post. Mrs Martian would never allow it, I would never even think of it and, most importantly, I want him to continue to make puddings and cakes for me!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Thom216 said:

Don't turn the burner on under Snuggles' furry butt!

My thoughts exactly. (I done an elf n safety course, did'n I?)

Children, don't try this at home. Nor in a holiday caravan. An Aeroplane, Submarine or a Zeppelin.

• Haha 6

Very nice. Hmm I think I want one too.

btw if you want to make brass frames but aren’t too hot at soldering ( ho ho) you should take a look at Albion connecto, it’s a system  of photo etch jointing pieces for their brass tubes.  

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

My thoughts exactly. (I done an elf n safety course, did'n I?)

Children, don't try this at home. Nor in a holiday caravan. An Aeroplane, Submarine or a Zeppelin.

Or make sure there is a responsible adult present. Not sure where we are going to find one of them round here though. We could always ask @general melchett to stand in I suppose.

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Very nice. Hmm I think I want one too.

btw if you want to make brass frames but aren’t too hot at soldering ( ho ho) you should take a look at Albion connecto, it’s a system  of photo etch jointing pieces for their brass tubes.  

Good idea. I'm not too bad at soldering but combing Connecto with soldering might be a good idea if Connecto can give me the correct angles. I have plenty of their stuff so I shall have a play around.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dear Von

Liking your manipulations and triangulations regarding expert rigging gyrations via exploratory drilling n boring thus far

Cheers

( I also have a handed down story from my maternal grandmother (who got me into modelling bless her) and a postcard ! let me know my communicating in anyway you want if you'd like to hear it )

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Martian said:

Hi Ali,

In response to your question, I did a closer comparison of the two kits. It transpires that Takom have provided different gondolas, the hull extension piece, different fins and a couple of new panels for the underside of the hull. As far as I can see, the only things they might have included in the kits are some extra Parabellum machine guns for the gondolas for those ships that carried them and an option for a rear gunner's position.

Hope that helps.

Martian 👽

Thank you that is very helpful 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Dear Von

Liking your manipulations and triangulations regarding expert rigging gyrations via exploratory drilling n boring thus far

Cheers

( I also have a handed down story from my maternal grandmother (who got me into modelling bless her) and a postcard ! let me know my communicating in anyway you want if you'd like to hear it )

Lets hear it here, I'm sure we will all be interested.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Great work on this unusual, interesting and important subject! 

👍👍👍

Thanks Steve. Another new genre of kit for me, hopefully I can do the kits justice.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Obviously couldn't drift to far from your previous submarine build but it is submarine shape, some transferable skills. Carry on O'tentacled one.

Gidday, this model may not have so many rivets in the hull. 😁 But yeah, I expect this will turn out very well too. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok my dear Von

My family story about Zeppelins or Zepps as my Grandmother called them goes back to the bombing of London in WW1, they lived in Leyton and my nanna told me she was at one of the upstairs bedroom window's one night looking for what was causing all the noise when her father came in , now he was a senior guardsman in the GWR a staunch member of the Masonic lodge , they watched as a Zepp got caught in the searchlight and guns opened up on it then a fighter or fighters attacked it and set it on fire , she said she then looked on horrified as the crew jumped out to their deaths as they were on fire, she said she was equally horrified at her fathers reaction, in his ribald language which went something like ''Burn you sweethearts burn'' , she had never heard him swear ever before in her 17 years or seen him so angry , i have a small postcard of a Zeppelin caught in searchlights which i will find and post here when i can, but i reckon the people of London were pretty angry if this is  any indication 

Well thats my story !

Cheers from tropical downunder on planet earth 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

but it is submarine shape

I’d veer more towards vegetable marrow shaped, but then again that’s me. Actually it reminds me a lot of a courgette I grew a few years back.

resized_378bffed-1f57-4eb5-92c6-672895d2
Paint it silver, add a gondola or two and some fins, you have to admit it’s pretty close.

And yes before anyone else mentions it, it was a remarkably large courgette . If I remember correctly I ended up stuffing it and baking it. ( now where’s  @CedB these days?)

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, Norman said:

Ok my dear Von

My family story about Zeppelins or Zepps as my Grandmother called them goes back to the bombing of London in WW1, they lived in Leyton and my nanna told me she was at one of the upstairs bedroom window's one night looking for what was causing all the noise when her father came in , now he was a senior guardsman in the GWR a staunch member of the Masonic lodge , they watched as a Zepp got caught in the searchlight and guns opened up on it then a fighter or fighters attacked it and set it on fire , she said she then looked on horrified as the crew jumped out to their deaths as they were on fire, she said she was equally horrified at her fathers reaction, in his ribald language which went something like ''Burn you sweethearts burn'' , she had never heard him swear ever before in her 17 years or seen him so angry , i have a small postcard of a Zeppelin caught in searchlights which i will find and post here when i can, but i reckon the people of London were pretty angry if this is  any indication 

Well thats my story !

Cheers from tropical downunder on planet earth 

Thanks for sharing that Norman. It would be interesting to see if we could work out what the ship was. My money would be on the SL.11 or the L.31,depending on the date/year.

Martian 👽

• Like 1