Dune's Spice

Mike

I've been re-watching some of the older Dune offerings, including David Lynch's offering, the new half-film, and the 2000 era 3-parter by one of the Sci-Fi channels, which is a bit garish to say the least. :owww: Someone should have fired the costume designer, or they were high on Spice. :hypnotised:

Anyway - I've had a few migraines recently, but I was wondering; If they need spice to navigate around the galaxy, how in Hades did they get to Arrakis, which is mentioned to be at the back-end of nowhere, without any Melange? :hmmm:  Seems they'd have needed some to get these first, but Spice is only to be found on Arrakis.  Their words not mine. :hmmm: :hmmm:

So what am I missing? :confused:

• Like 1

I've only read Dune, and that was years ago, so I've no idea whether it's covered in later (earlier?) books, but it was one thing that struck me as a connundrum. :hmmm:

Incidentally, did anyone else find the costumes from the mimi-series as risible as I did?  The "Sad Beige Bat" Navigator was a low point for me too, with his ET fingers making a ship fold space? :shrug: At least Lynch's version wasn't funny.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike said:

Seems they'd have needed some to get these first, but Spice is only to be found on Arrakis.  Their words not mine. :hmmm: :hmmm:

Faster-than-light travel was possible before the Guild Navigators existed, but it was very risky and resulted in a high death-rate. Electronic computers have been banned, after a long-ago war between man and AI (thus signicantly increasing the need for the Guild). If I understand it correctly, the Navigators are able to see into the future, due to their massive Spice-exposure, and so avoid accidentally guiding their ships into large stars or planets.

All based on a true story, it goes without saying....

Chris.  

PS: I am convinced that I could guide an FTL ship, but usually only after imbibing 17 bottles of "Scruttock's Old Derigible". Could this be the new Melange?

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Faster-than-light travel was possible before the Guild Navigators existed, but it was very risky and resulted in a high death-rate.

I can believe that.  It is supposed to be thousands of years in the future, after all.  Ok, moving on then :)

The Orange Catholic Bible is quoted as saying 'Thou shalt not make a machine in the image of Man'. In the book it is hinted that Ix clandestinely make computers 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...