USS Freedom (LCS-1)

Faraway

43 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I'm not knowledgeable about this vintage of warship, but could they have anything to do with a pre-wetting system? Regards, Jeff.

Good thought.
I found a picture which seems to show something similar.

Whatever they are, I don’t think they will make the build.

Tiny parts like this are why I don’t build 1/700

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-bridge-of-ship-boat-ships-boats-ferry-ferries-captain-window-windscreen-50116299.html

Jon

• Like 1

I've added the windscreen wipers to their mounting, as always they don't look so hot in closeup, but with the naked eye not too bad.

p?i=78f64b3259323f67bf617fa69762da05

Next, I think it's agreed that these are some sort of screen wash pipes.

p?i=f15119030c88cdd5757d25f15445426a

So I've attached them to their mounting.

See P43 to the right of the wipers. Only another two more of these to do, but not today, they have pushed my patience and eye sight to their limits.

p?i=bdf9b1f08935ce8140ea9573b6ad5de4

Definitely earned my glass (or two) of wine 🍷🍷 after doing those.

See you all tomorrow.

Jon

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Faraway said:

but not today, they have pushed my patience and eye sight to their limits.

Gidday, know when to walk away, particularly if there's a glass or two of red at the end of the walk. 🙂 I think those wipers look very good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I think those wipers look very good.

I think so too, just hope they survive the transition from card ‘jig’ to ship superstructure.
I leant a long time ago, in the days when I painted 90mm figures, when to stop fiddle and walk away. Although sometimes it’s hard. 

Jon

• Like 1

Well, the wipers survived the journey from 'jig' to ship. 

Not too bad, I did attach the other bits, but they just made it look a mess, so I removed them. Hardly noticeable with the naked eye.

You will note too, that I've started to add railings.

p?i=28e1ef42b35e0652307a520cd2089306

p?i=58a2e4d4cb4e011b14c122d7adda5912

The end of this one is going to need a trim, as it blocks a ladder.

p?i=6041f2040fad3464b44d397150de53b5

And I've added to the flight deck.

p?i=6c770ff02075bcdcf3cc9bb52e5bd242

• Like 4

Purple? Now we're talking. I really like this camo. Also good job on the wiper assembly, I dont think those pipesamathingies make a blind bit of difference to how well this has turned out.

I did have one question though, on the second to last photo, on the bridge, second sticky out thing from the left, low down near the deck, with the yellow end. Is that a shoe buffer? 

David

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Purple? Now we're talking

Ocean Grey, if you please

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Is that a shoe buffer? 

Have a little respect THAT is the ships bell. 😂😂😂😂

32 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I can still see purple

I could say, it’s not purple, it’s your eyes. But I cannot be dishonest, the photo definitely comes out as purple. I think I’m going to give up this photo milarky, I’m just not very good at it, perhaps I’ll just do them all in black and white.

Jon

One or two railings added. The end is in sight, once the railings are done, it'll just be a case of decals and covering up the shiny bits.

p?i=86c433968e3edc4f90e05cefd8636de1

p?i=d7f82bf8693fa6d60cbf42344a474821

p?i=246324f83d63e3828ef96b96fd940aa4

Mind you, I say decals but this is it, #1 on both sides of the bow.

p?i=1f867de55b3676f747adcd6afae95848

• Like 2

I don't know if you can say the end is in sight with how quick you build 'em 😉

Like the half in half our chopper, must also say good job for  not shying away from the wipers, I'd likely of chickened out 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

I don't know if you can say the end is in sight with how quick you build 'em 😉

Like the half in half our chopper, must also say good job for  not shying away from the wipers, I'd likely of chickened out 

People keep saying I build them quickly, perhaps I just have too much time on my hands 😂. But I only spend 2-3 hours at a time and sometimes not every day and never after 4pm.

This being retired is very good :giggle:

Ah, the helicopter. That is a bit of a cheat, after I’d painted it, the prospect of trying to paint the windows on the cockpit just didn’t appeal. Hence it’s halfway in, or out depending on your point of view.

And as for the wipers, I won’t be repeating anything like that anytime soon, WHAT an eye strain fiddle :hypnotised: that was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

Ah, the helicopter. That is a bit of a cheat, after I’d painted it, the prospect of trying to paint the windows on the cockpit just didn’t appeal.

Cracking job with the wipers Jon an even bigger cheat I use on small windows is to use a fine line artists pen much easier to control than a hairy stick.  :idea:

Stay Safe

beefy

That's that, then.

Just need to apply matt varnish to cover up various oddities.

Then I'll post a few more pictures in RFI.

I've enjoyed this build, it's been interesting and a slightly strange ship, but not as strange as LCS 2. But that is a story for another day.

I’d never heard of this ship, until I stumbled across it in the stash clearance sale, in Atlantic Models https://atlanticmodels.net/stash-clearance-items-and-bargain-corner.html @Peter Hall still has some ships left, so worth a look.

Once again, very many thanks to all of my friends out there who have followed, critiqued, encouraged me and answered my, usually daft, questions.

The camouflage scheme was a first for me and, I think, came out quite well. The Colourcoats @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies paints were, as always, a joy to use. I'm being converted from acrylic paint.

Apologies for building this too fast :thumbsup: but now my time is my own, don't tell my wife I said that I beg of you, I've got so many I want to build and so little time.

I just hope I've done this build justice, it's by no means as good as a lot, if not all, builds in the Maritime Forum, but I like to think I'm getting better.

Jon

p?i=5db448e14a3508aa6c1fbf529609f533

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Faraway said:

I've enjoyed this build, it's been interesting and a slightly strange ship, but not as strange as LCS 2.

If you are planning the LCS 2 you might want to look at this one I did a few years ago.

Stray Safe

beefy

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

If you are planning the LCS 2 you might want to look at this one I did a few years ago.

Saved for future reference 👍👍👍👍

Jon