Airfix 1:72 Jet Provost T.4 XR679

Hello! I finally got round to finishing another model! I'm quite happy with this one. Without further ado, here it is.

Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.4 1XR679 No.79 (R) Squadron, No.1 Tactical Weapons Unit, Royal Air Force Brawdy (not RAF Chivenor, thanks to those who pointed it out to me), Pembrokeshire, Wales, 1982.

a7600a4f4aa5a88bbb6974c80f31d6c4.jpg

2b9c06a5d85016eb62c97a547cff1156.jpg

694737141f4cb9473a995c91828f1dff.jpg

dc7b2ad357c6d687b4c1549d9912b4c0.jpg

762c8b2cb3f326a982bb541f4e33b902.jpg

1e0f660d102b37fce2f17c0a766cba21.jpg

This kit was a lot of fun and I think it turned out quite nice, thanks for looking!

see you in a few years when I finish my next model, knowing my sporadic schedule:rofl:

Edited by KingTiger435
  • Like 49

Great looking JP! I often wondered why 1 TWU had some of these with their Hawks, but not 2 TWU at Chivenor. Never did find out, though weren’t they used for training forward air controllers? Must have been great at Brawdy in those days with Hunters there too.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Great looking JP! I often wondered why 1 TWU had some of these with their Hawks, but not 2 TWU at Chivenor. Never did find out, though weren’t they used for training forward air controllers? Must have been great at Brawdy in those days with Hunters there too.

I've heard that apparently airfix may have made a mistake with the decal scheme and it is meant to be Brawdy not Chivenor, thanks for pointing it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingTiger435 said:

I've heard that apparently airfix may have made a mistake with the decal scheme and it is meant to be Brawdy not Chivenor, thanks for pointing it out.

Definitely Brawdy, it was only Hawks at Chivenor. 

Regardless, it’s a superb model!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Yup, JAFACTSU (Joint Forward Air Controller Training and Standards Unit) was at Brawdy giving trainees a pilot's eye view with these JPs.

I was on the JP flight line (aka VASS) for a while until they were retired.

Nice build and thanks for the memories :)

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's rare to see a camouflaged one. It looks quite mean to me!

Excellent model, well done, sir.

Agree! No pacifist airplane there.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've always had a soft for the Jet Provost, but thought it far too gentile to carry any form of warpaint,  definitely a case of a "sheep in wolf's clothing". That said, you've done a fine job with this lovely little aeroplane.

Well done.

• Thanks 1

Initially, the two original Jet Provost T Mk.4s retained their red and white training colours, but in May 1976 they were repainted in a tactical camouflage scheme to provide more realism in the FAC role; the first aircraft to be repainted being XP547

As has already been confirmed, the Jet Provosts were never operated at Chivenor

• Thanks 1