1/48 F-18 Prototype 1978

50 minutes ago, exdraken said:

I meant the seamless intakes!

I ahve some for a Hasegawa kit but I guess they would not fit on a Monogram Hornet!

My bad, I used the intakes from the Kinetic F/A-18A kit (which I have replaced with Phase Hanger intakes).

Not too much work, some thinning of the internal fuselage plastic and a bit of putty/sanding, worth it as they made a big difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

I meant the seamless intakes!

I ahve some for a Hasegawa kit but I guess they would not fit on a Monogram Hornet!

I found a photo of the 'fitting' of the intakes

iCbxthl.jpg

And another of the cockpit tub scabbing parts from several sources.

vt3goyV.jpg

n

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks!

That pit simply is spectacular!!

Quite some surgery to shove in these intakes! But they fit !

:thumbsup:

The only Hornet I ever built was a Monogram one ;)

I just checked, and yes look nice outside, but do NOT look inside too much.. . There is a grey rigid wall on mine :D

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, Vince1159 said:

Lovely build,i never realized the F-18 went back to the 70's you learn something every day....

Vince, it goes back earlier to the GD YF-16 / Northrop YF-17 lightweight fighter competition of the early 70's. Darned if I know if anyone put out a YF-17 kit, although I've crawled over the real thing a few years ago (I think it was in Southern California, a small Northrop museum on the south coast, can;t recall the town / city at the moment).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2021 at 5:59 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

This is gorgeous.

I can't believe it was so long ago.

My thoughts exactly - on both counts.

I remember thinking in the late 80’s that the F18 was just the most desirable single seat mud-mover berth going.

Lovely work.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Only just found this as I was looking for the Hasegawa version that I did back in 2010 so I change the picture source to FlickR instead of Photobucket.

That is a really impressive job. I had the similar 'fun' with the decals. The Hasegawa 'gold' came out green so I had to do all the blue and gold had to be a paint job and I found out that the blue was Ford auto paint.

John

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John R said:

Only just found this as I was looking for the Hasegawa version that I did back in 2010 so I change the picture source to FlickR instead of Photobucket.

That is a really impressive job. I had the similar 'fun' with the decals. The Hasegawa 'gold' came out green so I had to do all the blue and gold had to be a paint job and I found out that the blue was Ford auto paint.

I like how your kit went together without putty, mine however...

I was going for the easy build and just slap on the decals until I realized they just weren't close to color accurate (although Caracal left out some key decals that the Monogram sheet luckily had) and so the search for the blue and gold car paint began, the revised cockpit and then foolishly managed to cram in some seamless intakes (which I'm glad I did).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Hi there,

This is a very nice work, congratulations !
I like a lot that paint scheme that bring me in my youth when we discovered the XF-18 for the first time

Greetings from Southern France

D.C.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dreamcatcher said:

I like a lot that paint scheme that bring me in my youth when we discovered the XF-18 for the first time

15 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Another fantastic build Paul. Looks very beautiful. I have on in 1:32 from Hasegawa to be built.

Thanks guys! I enjoyed the deep dip into nostalgia with the two Monogram prototype kits, the box tops always reminded me that I wanted to make them again (and not using my mother's ultramarine blue and cadmium red oil paints that never dried...). There was a third in the nostalgia builds, the Revell A-10 spotted JAWS scheme but I ended up using the Tamiya kit. They all look great together and remind me of all the magazine photos from my childhood. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful prototype and great build, despite the seamless intakes.

I did build the 1/72 Hasegawa kit and I still look at the model with great delight: such a good looking paint scheme.

Congrats are in order.

JR

• Thanks 1

Wow, fantastic work dude! A truly beautiful gem, also stunning next to the F-16 prototype...beautiful couple! You could give the Hornet a small subtle light gray panelline wash to give a little more depth to your model. but that's up to you. Well done!

Cheers, Jos

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jos Jansen said:

You could give the Hornet a small subtle light gray panelline wash to give a little more depth to your model. but that's up to you. Well done!

I went for the squeaky clean rollout look but there are access panels that have been outlined with a thin lead pencil, they just don't show up well in the photos.

DgMWryT.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Aigore said:

I did the TF-18A prototype ages ago.

Blue or red? Let's see it! I still have parts of another Monogram F-18 and an old Testors T/F-18 (with open LEX slots) that I've considered combining for another colorful early model.

• Thanks 1

Lovely job!

My roommate in university built that same F-18 model in that scheme, but it was a relatively new kit at the time!  I distinctly recall us watching news reports on the Falklands war while we built models on the dining table, so 1982.  Much has changed in the modeling world since then!

Cheers

• Thanks 1