ARL 44 - Amusing Hobby - 1/35

Hello everyone,

Here's something quite different.

It is an ARL 44, tank that should rather belong to SF section. It is soo strange looking, I was not sure if it really existed. It does.

It was conceived during in Vichy France in 1942, by CDM (Camouflage du Matériel), a secret Vichy army organization trying to produce materiel forbidden by the armistice conditions. After few interruptions, it was finally ready for production in 1949. Even though, it was already obsolete at that point, it was decided to go for a serial production to bolster French National morale. Vehicles were delivered from 1949 to 1951 to the 503e Régiment de Chars de Combat stationed in Mourmelon-le-Grand, replacing 17 former German Panthers. They were serving along the Sherman tanks, and proved quite unreliable.

Kit itself is very nice. Not too much details, but fit is perfect. Indy tracks are really easy to assemble (only takes an hour). This was a quick project, it is basically a weekend build (although it took me two weekends :)). It is build OOB, the only addition being stowage at the back of the turret.

Its painted with Tamiya Acrylics and weathered with pigments. I usually don't use Tamiya paints, but I had some leftovers from a few years ago, so I just mixed something that should look like Vert Armee color. I am not even sure that these tanks were painted in Vert Armee, but that was my guess. Tamiya paints have that very flat texture, so sprayed Mr.Premium Top Coat Semi-Gloss before weathering. Instructions offer two different marking options, and I am quite sure that both of them are fictional. However, there is the third option on decal sheet, that is not mentioned in the instructions, and I found some photos of this particular vehicle.

And here's one detail shot of the exhaust system that I find interesting.

Even though these tanks were never extensively used, I didn't want to go for a factory fresh finish. The idea was to show the quite new, but dirty vehicle. Used on an exercise for example.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nenad,

An eccentric and strange monster, I knew of its existence, but had never "seen one", and I have to say that you have done a very good job, it looks very convincing and real, with some "weathering" that gives it that touch of personality.
Good Job.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

@Carius, @Lazy Modeller, @Stef N., @Geo1966, @StuartH, @Bertie Psmith, @FrancisGL, @Buzby061, @vytautas, @moondrome thank you guys. You are very kind.

Yeah, this thing is very Warhammer. And it is HUGE! King Tiger huge. Barrel is so long, it's hard to take a photo of the whole tank and keep it in focus :)

It's like a ship main battery on tracks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Barrel is so long, it's hard to take a photo of the whole tank and keep it in focus :)

If we were to believe psychologists, it is possible that the tank designers had certain complexes... :D

Vytautas

• Haha 2

On 11/29/2021 at 2:46 AM, TheOxley said:

Beautiful work Nenad….!

Thank you.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:14 AM, diablo rsv said:

That's an interesting and unusual subject Nenad, very nicely built, the painting and weathering is also top notch.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne.