What model has nobody kitted that you REALLY want to see?

Alan P

53 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Yeah...I understand what you are saying, but disagree. Where are you going to draw a line between what is a variant and what isn't? Is an F-84F a variant of an F-84E/G? Is an F-86D a variant of the A/E/F? Is a Spitire F.24 a variant of the Mk.1? If so, would it be reasonable to convert one to the other? If not, why not? I'd say your distinction is arbitrary. Where are you going to put your line?

Jon

Since we're talking of subject made available for modellers, the line is relatively easy to draw: can I build that variant with either an existing conversion or by small modifications that do not require serious scratchbuilding ?

The F-105B was never kitted as such, but all you need is a Trumpeter or Monogram kit and for example C&H's conversion. The RF-8 may have never been kitted but there have been conversions from a number of sources to be used with a number of easily available kits and the same can be said for the early Crusader variants. So is it really correct to say that these variants were never made as kits ? It is if we mean they were never made available in one single box, however the parts to build one of them were at some point available from the market.

Whenever a conversion is not available, I consider how easy the modifications would be: IIRC there's never been a P-80A, can this be converted from the existing kits of the C or do I have to scratchbuild an entire fuselage ? If I want to build my Spitfire XIII, that nobody has yet offered in any scale, do I have to scratchbuild many parts or can I do it with a Falcon canopy and a couple of holes ?

Of course the same disclaimers apply to conversions that apply to standard kits: I may consider something like an F-105B built from a Monogram kit with a C&H conversion as an easy job while others may feel that the work involved and the need to use resin parts would make the project not feasible for them, in the same way as some may refuse to consider a resin or vacuform kit. That is a perfectly valid argument of course in a wish list. At the same time there's quite a difference between that F-105B and a 1/48 Marut: I can build the F-105B using commercial products while I can not build a 1/48 Marut if I do not scratchbuild the whole thing...

much was mentioned already,

but I miss:

all 1/48

Trainers:

• a Pilatus PC-7, PC-7 MK.2, PC-9, PC-21
  • Saab 105/ Sk.60 (Pilot Replicas, hurry up!  ;) )
  • Casa C101
  • T-37 Tweet
  • Galeb
  • K-8

Fightes:

• Su-17/ Su-17m / Su-17M2/ Su-22M, Su-20....
  • Tejas

Unlikelys

• Tu-22(M3)? :D
  • Mirage 4000/ Mirage G8,  Mirage IIIV.....
  •  

Helicopters:

• Puma/ Super Puma/ Cougar helicopter
  • NH-90 helicopter
  • a modern tooled Tiger helicopter
  • modern tooled Blackhawk (Italeri is a bit long in the tooth)
  • Mi-8/17 (Annetra... what is up?
  • A129 Mangusta

Targets:

• Leopard 1 and Leopard 2 tank
  • Challenger Tank
  • Leclerc tank
  • T-72
  • Stryker
  • Centaur

On 11/19/2021 at 9:54 PM, MrB17 said:

This is like a Santa list! What fun! Great idea @Alan P
Any scale accurately done B-17 with incredibly accurate surface details! (It’s going to be seen to a much greater extent, than the incredibly complex interior. Also, Aircraft aren’t machined out of a block of billet aluminium, most model surfaces look this way. Stop drilling out the rivets, they hold the aircraft together, ie. Avro Shackleton. ;)

Seriously now:

1/48 accurate Noorduyn Norseman with appropriate surface details and options for Wheels, Skiis, Floats, Civilian and Military markings.

1/48 accurate DHC-2 DeHavilland Beaver, turbine and reciprocating, with appropriate surface details and options for Wheels, Skiis, Floats, Civilian and Military markings.

1/48 accurate DHC-3 DeHavilland Otter, turbine and reciprocating, with appropriate surface details and options for Wheels, Skiis, Floats, Civilian and Military markings.

1/48 accurate DHC-6 DeHavilland/Viking Air, Twin Otter, with appropriate surface details and options for Wheels, Skiis, Floats, Civilian and Military markings.
Factory blueprints and drawings are available for all of the above, and there are hundreds of the DeHavilland aircraft flying in all parts of the world. With the exception of the Norseman, the above fly over my residence on a daily basis, I consider myself lucky again. Some tourists come here, just to see these “bush planes” in action.

Happy wishing, everyone! I can see 10 more replies as I am writing feverishly…

Jeff :)

On 11/20/2021 at 1:07 AM, MrB17 said:

I get what you are saying, and I respect your perspective. The kits I listed have all been kitted, (DHC-2, DHC-3, DHC-6, Norseman) however, they’re not very accurate or up to today’s standards. There’s a saying that we used in aviation refinishing, when referring to terrible paint work, “Good from far, but far from good”. That saying pretty much applies to just about everything, including some of my older models haha 😂 The Mashbox 1/72 Norseman is an example, it is very inaccurate. I purchased the Chorozy resin kit, which is far superior, however it is a resin kit, not an injection moulded plastic kit. I chose to include them because I would like to have an accurate kit of them in injection moulded plastic, with realistic surface details, which has not been done so far. In my personal opinion, nobody has kitted what I have wished for. I am sure there are hundreds of esoteric subjects that have never been kitted in any mediums, and we can all wish for them. If no one makes their wishes known, said kit may never see the light of day. This forum is an excellent venue to make your wishes known, and I think Alan has a good idea going here. :)

“We’re all in this together”, and it’s wonderful here on BM

Jeff :)

I can find no fault with your list at all. The marking possibilities are incredible and all have extensive service lives. We can but hope.

I'd like a good Wright Flyer in 1/48 with 1/72 as well. The first powered aircraft in history and the world's major scales are missed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Since we're talking of subject made available for modellers, the line is relatively easy to draw: can I build that variant with either an existing conversion or by small modifications that do not require serious scratchbuilding ?

The F-105B was never kitted as such, but all you need is a Trumpeter or Monogram kit and for example C&H's conversion. The RF-8 may have never been kitted but there have been conversions from a number of sources to be used with a number of easily available kits and the same can be said for the early Crusader variants. So is it really correct to say that these variants were never made as kits ? It is if we mean they were never made available in one single box, however the parts to build one of them were at some point available from the market.

Whenever a conversion is not available, I consider how easy the modifications would be: IIRC there's never been a P-80A, can this be converted from the existing kits of the C or do I have to scratchbuild an entire fuselage ? If I want to build my Spitfire XIII, that nobody has yet offered in any scale, do I have to scratchbuild many parts or can I do it with a Falcon canopy and a couple of holes ?

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are getting at. We may be talking at cross purposes a bit. For me, a conversion is not a kit. A kit is something that contains all the necessary parts in the box (including, importantly, markings). That's why I'd say the F-105B has never been 'kitted' in 1/48, but I understand your POV.

Of course, there are other complications in the discussion. The Grumman J2F-6 Duck has never been kitted in 1/48 (except, possibly, some ancient vacform). Classic Airframes claim to have kitted one, but what comes in the box is not a J2F-6 (and neither is the Merit one). I've just made one and IMO it took some 'serious scratchbuilding' to make this variant. So in my view, this is another unkitted aircraft in 1/48, even though you could buy a kit with 'J2F-6' on the box...

Jon

On 22/11/2021 at 11:24, ckw said:

I wonder if the solution if for companies (esp. short run makers) to take a 'kick starter' approach? Basically if you wanted the model produced, you had to put your money where your mouth is. If enough interest is shown, it gets made. If not, you get your money back. Of course I can see potential issues around expected quality.

Cheers

Colin

On 22/11/2021 at 11:30, Graham Boak said:

As a potential subscriber to such an approach. the main problem I can see is of confidence that you will get your money back.  The amount concerned, and the element of enthusiasm, is likely to make the matter of otherwise lost interest insignificant.

Few stories of such ventures in the Model Railway quarter that have failed with 'investors' losing significant sums.

For me It'd have to be a F-50 (not the Ferrari variety)

If the kickstarter approach spreads, how long before the less-scrupulous move in?  It would be quite a long step between the inspired enthusiast looking for small sums per participant  and the major injection companies, who I feel could be trusted   However, I don't believe anyone should consider investing "significant" sums in any venture without legally-binding contracts.  

I feel that this is turned into the usual wishlist of "No-one has ever done a Fruitbat Mk.31B Block 27 rebuild".  All worthy subjects no doubt - well, not much doubt, maybe.  But when I see the word "aircraft" I don't think that sub-types is really what is being asked about.  Nor, to be fair, restrictions to specific scales.  There are many  more aircraft types in the world that have never been done in any scale without restricting it to subtypes: the possibilities then are simply enormous.  Britmodeller could be filled without major repetition, and any possible point would be drowned.

11 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

But when I see the word "aircraft" I don't think that sub-types is really what is being asked about.  

But as I mentioned above, I think that begs the question as to what a sub-type is. I cannot see an objective definition beyond nomenclature, which, because designation systems are at times neither logical nor consistent, would raise all kinds of anomalies.  

Consider:

a) different 'sub-types' which many (well, at least me) would clearly see as different aircraft: FJ-1/4 Fury, Spitfire Mk.1/F.24, UH-1B/Z, AH-1G/Z, F-84F/G, F-86D/F, F/A-18A/F, HH-43A/F, F-94A/C

b) different 'types' which, to me, are clearly 'sub-types': Mirage III/5/Kfir, F-86/FJ Fury (this one is complicated!), Su-27/30/33/34/35 family, MiG-23/27, F-80/T-33, Vampire/Venom, Mi-24/35, Seafire/Spitfire, Su-9/11, P-39/63, La-9/11

c) weird examples which straddle a) and b): Intruder/Prowler, Panther/Cougar, Harrier I/II, Freedom Fighter/Tiger II

Is a Mitsubishi F-2 a variant of the F-16, or a different aircraft? Why?

If we can't find a way to navigate the above then I don't see how we can avoid the conclusion you draw, since what constitutes an 'aircraft' in this conversation will depend on our own individual sense of aesthetics and interpretation of history.

11 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

...and any possible point would be drowned.

Beyond the pure pleasure of the conversation :)

Jon

• Like 2

I would love to see these done in a standard injection plastic kit, not stuff like vacuform or resin, some mid-range transport / MPA / AEW type 1/48 aircraft:

1/48 C-27J Spartan -

(As a stablemate in 1/48 to the Italeri C-130, I think the Alenia C-27J Spartan would be a great addition to the range)

1/48 CASA CN-235

1/48 P3 Orion

1/48 Bombardier Global 6000/6500

and, being Irish:

1/48 TR.9 or T Mk IX Spitfire, I cannot ever find the unicorn Brigade Models conversion - considering Eduard do so many versions I am amazed they have not done the two seater.

a decent 1/48 PC 9 and PC 12

On the Maritime front, a 1/350 Colossus - Majestic type has always seemed to me to be missing, the type in variations served with UK, Australia, Canada, Argentina, Netherlands, India, France and Brazil - so a base hull design with after market flight decks, aircraft etc

I think would be really a potential best seller.

The Heller 1/400 Arromanches does not 'fit in' with other scale ships

Edited by simonj
Maritime, Spitfire
  • Like 1

On 23/11/2021 at 14:25, exdraken said:

much was mentioned already,

but I miss:

all 1/48

Targets:

• Leopard 1 and Leopard 2 tank
  • Challenger Tank
  • Leclerc tank
  • T-72
  • Stryker
  • Centaur

Otaki / ARII did a Leo 1 & II

Aoshima Did a Leo II

ARII Did a Chally I, As did Academy 

Academy did a Leclerc

ARII Did a T-72, as did Academy

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Julien said:

Otaki / ARII did a Leo 1 & II

Aoshima Did a Leo II

ARII Did a Chally I, As did Academy 

Academy did a Leclerc

ARII Did a T-72, as did Academy

Thanks!

Did not know about them! Are they considered as toys  or scale models? I need to track some down!!

On 11/22/2021 at 7:56 PM, Jon Bryon said:

Cessna T-37 Tweet (mind boggles that this hasn't been done)

Strombecker did one back in the late '50s/early '60s; I had one. It was later re-done by Aurora, who then passed the molds on to Monogram, where it became an A-37.

2 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Strombecker did one back in the late '50s/early '60s; I had one. It was later re-done by Aurora, who then passed the molds on to Monogram, where it became an A-37.

Interesting! As far as I can tell, no one has added any of those kits to Scalemates.

Edit: looks like they are on Scalemates and the scale is 1/43, so still unkitted in 1/48...?

Jon

Edited by Jon Bryon

11 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Interesting! As far as I can tell, no one has added any of those kits to Scalemates.

Edit: looks like they are on Scalemates and the scale is 1/43, so still unkitted in 1/48...?

Jon

Tan Model has a 1/48 Cessna T-37 Tweet listed on SM as a 2020 release, but I can’t find it anywhere and I am not sure of the medium

Monogram’s A-37’s are all on there, with a time line including Hasegawa’s boxing etc. I had the kit years ago and although it had raised details, it looked pretty good in SEA Camouflage. You would have to remove a lot of stuff to make a clean Tweet.

I also spotted a Trumpeter 1/48 A-37, I don’t know anything about it, other than it probably has recessed details.

Jeff

On 11/22/2021 at 8:44 AM, ckw said:

As another with a 1/72 fixation, one of my biggest frustrations since returning to the hobby is the number of subjects being released in 1/48th or bigger and not 1/72 (e.g. Airfix Walrus!).

Some of us old geezers struggle to build in 1/72 scale. I'm tickled that many can and love building in that scale. 1/48 sometimes presents problems, especially kits that have very small parts. Though I'd be pressed for space building exclusively in 1/32 scale, that scale is appealing to me more and more these days.

For what it's worth, let's keep right on dreaming. I say that because I'm ever amazed at what's being released these days. I've been an airplane "nut" since I was 6 years old and I'm 71 now. I see kits being produced now of airplanes I've never even heard of. And contrary to what seems to be the present thinking, there are those who are bold enough to produce kits of little known or not popular airplanes and at least some modelers see their dream come true. Never say never. You might be utterly amazed at what the next announced forthcoming release might be. My two cents worth. Someone convert that to Euros for me, please.  😉

• Like 2

That can be not that much long list for my interest ( 1/72 1935-45 machines excluding sole prototypes, unless it was used for more than just test flights) in 1/72 as we strictly will keep the phrase "nver kitted" . It would be much more if we name it "never kitted as injected". Then the list is much longer, with a lot of for example French flying boats of WW2. However on top of this list I have curently:

Douglas Havoc I/DB7 

Douglas B23 Dragon

Liberator I or LB 30

All three above I am planning to do scratch conversions in predictable future...

Regards

J-W

O, and somthing else that i just remembered. given the selection of 1/32nd 4 engines kits we have seen lately, i's like to see some German offerings. An Fw 200 would be my first choice, an He 177 would be nice as well.

1 hour ago, Bish said:

O, and somthing else that i just remembered. given the selection of 1/32nd 4 engines kits we have seen lately, i's like to see some German offerings. An Fw 200 would be my first choice, an He 177 would be nice as well.

Yes, if I had the room for a four engine bomber in 1/32 (injection moulded, as I believe there was once a vac-form kit of it), I would choose the He 177 above all others. Even the Lanc. There's just something about that thing that appeals to me. 

Only 1/72 aircraft listed, The top 15 lacking in my collection are:

WWI German - Albatros B II, Aviatik C I, Rumpler C I, DFW C V

WWI French - Farman MF 11, Farman F 40, Caudron G 3, Vosin 8, SPAD XI/XVI

WWI British - Airco DH 6, RAF FE 2

Interwar - Hanriot HD 14

WW2 - Aeronca L-3, Taylorcraft L-2, Beech AT-10

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
ships and AFV deleted
  • Like 3