What model has nobody kitted that you REALLY want to see?

Alan P

I'ld love to see some more interbellum belgian stuff in 1/72. T13, T15, ...
And the proto Renard fighters of course, which are however made in resin by FSC Dujin. I have an R36.

Retrokit has some fun stuff though, and the subject has a small market anyway...

Edited by Steben

I though the question concerns IP models - no resin or vac. Anyhow I think the following list should be difficult to find in any material

1:24 Morris Minor (all versions - especially the Traveller)

1:24 Jaguar XJ-13

1:12 Jaguar XJ-13

1:6 Jaguar XJ-13

1:1 Jaguar XJ-13 😉

1:48 Hind A

1:48 Puma

1:48 Skycrane

1:48 KA-52 Alligator

1:48 Mi 28 Havoc

1:48 Wright Flyer

1:48 Wedell Williams Air racer

1:48 Super Solution

1:32 Gemini capsule

1:32 Mercury capsule

1:32 Vostok capsule

1:32 Voskhod capsule

1:32 Soyuz (any of them)

1:144 SLS (Space Launch System)

And some Star Wars stuff:

1:144 Tantive V (1:72 would be better but biggg)

1:72 AT-AT

1:72 Tydirium

1:72 TIE Bomber

1:48 TIE Bomber

1:72 Jawa Sandcrawler

And really - nobody asked for the obvious 1:32 F-4K yet?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

And really - nobody asked for the obvious 1:32 F-4K yet?

Yes - that would a nice one - as would af 1/32 F-4B/N! :thumbsup: (We have the E, EJ, G, J! :hmmm: )

In other themes: 

1/350 HMS Fearless

1/350 HMS Manxman

(I have the 1/600 from Airfix, but I'm allowed to dream! Right? :winkgrin: )

1/48 XP-67 Bat - just because! :heart:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

This is a very good point. Even if the much anticipated kit is released, it becomes subject to the usual gripes and moans about scale, variant, accuracy, cost and so on.

When I started up the hobby again about 15 years ago, the buzz was all about the 1/48 Vigilante. Then it was released, and nobody bought it for the reasons above.

So it's not just 'we want the kit' but also 'we want the kit to be accurate, precision engineered, falls together, and cheap' and that's where it all falls down 😢

Consumer attitudes are generally the main reason they never get what they want!

I can't speak for others, but for me, if it doesn't exist in 1/72, it may as well not exist at all. It might be because I'm "on the spectrum", but I can't bear the thought of not having things in a constant scale. By putting a 1/48 Spitfire next to a 1/72 Stirling, say, you just don't get to experience the sheer difference in size. That's a big part of sticking to a single scale, and I think it shouldn't be dismissed lightly by those who are only interested in the subject. I kinda get that for some,  simply having the subject available is enough, but at the same time if I see models of dissimilar scales displayed together, every cell in my body cringes.  I do try to be respectful of other opinions, even though my brain is hardwired to be horrified by them!

I've bought quite a few cottage industry, limited run and resin kits of obscure types over the years. I don't enjoy the process of building resin kits, if I'm honest. There's something very comforting about working with polystyrene. It's soft enough to abrade, resilient enough to withstand handling, generally not too brittle (don't think you've got away with it, Airfix!) and, most importantly, incredibly forgiving to glue together. With resin kits, you have the choice of epoxy or cyanoacrylate adhesives. Cyano generally doesn't give you much wiggle room for positioning the parts (which my increasingly unsteady hands need) , whilst epoxy means holding the parts together for a fair amount of time, not always a straightforward task. They also tend to be expensive. I fully understand why, but it still places them out of reach for me these days.

Most of my limited run kits are from the likes of Aeroclub (especially for  inter-war aircraft), Pavla, KP, MPM, et al. I think I have three Pavla Messengers in the stash, with one at the painting stage. Not the easiest kit in the world to build, but I'm glad it exists and equally glad that companies like these often choose the path less travelled. For the most part, I think they offer a good balance of subject and price (something that's very important to me these days). I don't expect precision engineering from these smaller companies and for the most part, I don't enjoy kits that are too easy anyway. I like to feel like I have put something of myself into a build.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

I though the question concerns IP models - no resin or vac. Anyhow I think the following list should be difficult to find in any material

1:12 Jaguar XJ-13

MFH. Possibility that they'll do (as they often do) 1/24 and 1/43 versions though the car has been done in 1/43 a number of times already.

@lasermonkey as a fellow denizen of ‘the spectrum’ (I bet there are loads of us on here!), I completely agree about the juxtaposition of different scales. I simply cannot bear it! To me it renders my models almost toylike if haphazardly displayed. I need separate shelves for 1/72 and 1/48. I even need to separate by groups too, I can’t have a 50’s jet next to an 80’s one, they’d never have met in real life. But I’m weird.

• Like 1

Let’s face it: We all have our particular interests, but NO kit is ever going to be produced unless the manufacturer has good reason, based on market research and sales histories of similar subjects, to believe he is going to recoup his investment and hopefully make a profit. This is why we see the same subjects released as kits over and over again. They sell. Some of the kit subjects I’ve seen listed in this thread so far (at least those I recognize) might sell a dozen or two to hard-core enthusiasts, if that many, but that’s definitely not enough volume to turn a profit.

The above is my considered wisdom, and you can take it for what it’s worth, but I’ve been building plastic models on and off for over 65 years and have worked in the industry, albeit briefly. So I think I know what I’m talking about. All this wishing and hoping and dreaming and complaining is a waste of time, energy, and electrons and only serves to elevate blood pressures. And too many of us are probably already on medication for that!

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

Probably the very reason I started taking an interest in 3D printing. I know if a subject that isn't mainstream is produced, even in limited quantities, it will be cost prohibitive. And since I've got the skills and programs its worth trying to see what can be done. Though when you take resin or FDM plastic cost into account, the per unit expense is as much if not more. But the upside it keeps my mind and hands active and out of trouble. so I guess its still a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

49 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

All this wishing and hoping and dreaming and complaining is a waste of time, energy, and electrons and only serves to elevate blood pressures.

Actually a good rant can really help with the blood pressure even if it achieves nothing else.

As another with a 1/72 fixation, one of my biggest frustrations since returning to the hobby is the number of subjects being released in 1/48th or bigger and not 1/72 (e.g. Airfix Walrus!).

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Probably the very reason I started taking an interest in 3D printing. I know if a subject that isn't mainstream is produced, even in limited quantities, it will be cost prohibitive. And since I've got the skills and programs its worth trying to see what can be done. Though when you take resin or FDM plastic cost into account, the per unit expense is as much if not more. But the upside it keeps my mind and hands active and out of trouble. so I guess its still a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

3D printing is one of those production techniques that can sure make things easier for those interested in very unusual subjects. Not only because it allows any enterprising modeller to build his own favourite subject but also because suits very well the production of items in very small numbers. We are already seeing a number of "manufacturers" using this technology to make kits available for others, I'm sure this will increase a lot in the near future. Of course these kits will likely never be cheap, but then rarity never is

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

@lasermonkey as a fellow denizen of ‘the spectrum’ (I bet there are loads of us on here!), I completely agree about the juxtaposition of different scales. I simply cannot bear it! To me it renders my models almost toylike if haphazardly displayed. I need separate shelves for 1/72 and 1/48. I even need to separate by groups too, I can’t have a 50’s jet next to an 80’s one, they’d never have met in real life. But I’m weird.

See, I could do that, in the context of a squadron history, for example. As long as it makes sense in my mind, I'm fine with it!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Can we add the Hunter T.66B to the list? Hunter trainers with two cannons look awesome to me.

Very true. Really, a good modern set of 1/72 and 1/48th Hunter two seaters to cover both the small and large Avon variants OUGHT to sell, surely. I was surprised at Revell's comments about their 1/72nd Hunter selling rather poorly, though the 1/32nd one was surely a risky bet, given that Echelon had already kitted it.

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't recall comments that the model was inaccurate, badly engineered, or difficult to make.

Those were the only comments ever made about the kit.

13 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

3D printing is one of those production techniques that can sure make things easier for those interested in very unusual subjects. Not only because it allows any enterprising modeller to build his own favourite subject but also because suits very well the production of items in very small numbers. We are already seeing a number of "manufacturers" using this technology to make kits available for others, I'm sure this will increase a lot in the near future. Of course these kits will likely never be cheap, but then rarity never is.

I agree with you 100%. 

Jeff :)

For me it has to the following 

In 1/48 Bristol Brigand

Gannet 

Piston Provest

Barracuda 

Puma

B Buccaneer

Privateer

B-58

just dreaming most will never come out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sammy da fish said:

For me it has to the following 

In 1/48  Gannet  -Classic Airframes

Piston Provest  MicroMir

Barracuda Special Hobby

Puma  Scaleworx   or  Heller (1/50)

B Buccaneer Airfix

Privateer  Lone Star models listed for release 2021

B-58  Monogram

just dreaming most will never come out.  You might have to hunt, but they are out there. The Privateer may well be resin

I would suggest the following have never been kitted in 1/48:

BAe Dominie

Beech C-12 Huron (multiple versions not kitted)

Bell TH-57 SeaRanger

Bristol Brigand

Cessna T-37 Tweet (mind boggles that this hasn't been done)

Fuji T-1

HAL Ajeet

HAL Tejas

Hiller H-23 Raven

Hughes TH-55 Osage

Kaman UH-2A/B/C/D Sea Sprite

Kamov Ka-25

Kamov Ka-52

Mil Mi-28

Republic F-84B/C/D Thunderjet

Republic F-105B Thunderchief

Saab J21R

Saab 105

Sikorsky HH-3 Jolly Green Giant

Vought F-8B/C/D/H/K/L Crusader

Vought RF-8A/G Crusader

Westland Puma (1/50 scale does not count)

Westland Scout

If it weren't for Collectaire there'd be quite a few other models on that list.

Jon

7 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

Kaman UH-2A/B/C/D Sea Sprite.  A/B under development by ClearProp for release 2022

Westland Scout. Was under development by S&M, may appear under MikroMir in the future?

Jon

7 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

BAe Dominie

Beech C-12 Huron (multiple versions not kitted)

Bell TH-57 SeaRanger

Bristol Brigand

Cessna T-37 Tweet (mind boggles that this hasn't been done)

Fuji T-1

HAL Ajeet

HAL Tejas

Hiller H-23 Raven

Hughes TH-55 Osage

Kaman UH-2A/B/C/D Sea Sprite

Kamov Ka-25

Kamov Ka-52

Mil Mi-28

Republic F-84B/C/D Thunderjet

Republic F-105B Thunderchief

Saab J21R

Saab 105

Sikorsky HH-3 Jolly Green Giant

Vought F-8B/C/D/H/K/L Crusader

Vought RF-8A/G Crusader

Westland Puma (1/50 scale does not count)

Westland Scout

Jon

The ones I highlighted may have not been kitted but really they are variants of types that are easily available in mainstream kit form (ok, the Seasprite is not that easily available but the others are).

If we look at all variants subject but subject, there would be plenty never made, afterall if manufacturer X makes a Spitfire V they may or not care about also making a Mk.XIII (and in fact nobody ever did a Mk.XIII). That's in the end what conversion sets are for, althoigh in some cases a conversion would involve replacing quite big chunks of the original kit (as in the RF-8).

Similarly if I were a small manufacturer of obscure types I'd probably not bother making a full kit of a certain variant of a type that is easily available, it would be simpler and way cheaper to make a conversion for what's on the market. In fact there are (or there have been) conversions for the F-105B and the RF-8

25 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The ones I highlighted may have not been kitted but really they are variants of types that are easily available in mainstream kit form (ok, the Seasprite is not that easily available but the others are).

If we look at all variants subject but subject, there would be plenty never made, afterall if manufacturer X makes a Spitfire V they may or not care about also making a Mk.XIII (and in fact nobody ever did a Mk.XIII). That's in the end what conversion sets are for, althoigh in some cases a conversion would involve replacing quite big chunks of the original kit (as in the RF-8).

Similarly if I were a small manufacturer of obscure types I'd probably not bother making a full kit of a certain variant of a type that is easily available, it would be simpler and way cheaper to make a conversion for what's on the market. In fact there are (or there have been) conversions for the F-105B and the RF-8

Yeah...I understand what you are saying, but disagree. Where are you going to draw a line between what is a variant and what isn't? Is an F-84F a variant of an F-84E/G? Is an F-86D a variant of the A/E/F? Is a Spitire F.24 a variant of the Mk.1? If so, would it be reasonable to convert one to the other? If not, why not? I'd say your distinction is arbitrary. Where are you going to put your line?

Jon

47 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Indeed. And the TH-55 is announced by AMP and the Saab 105 by Pilot Replicas. But Clear Prop are meant to be working on a Firebrand, Anetra got as far as producing plastic for the Mi-8 Hip, Mars Models even put a MiG-9 on the boxes of other kits, Special Hobby have said they're doing a Super Mystere at some point, and yet they all seem to be vapourware. I am definitely sceptical kit manufacturers are going to follow through on all their plans, but we shall see...

I think S&M only ever planned the Wasp. I would collar Mel at every show and he was adamant there is no market for a 1/48 Scout and had no plans to produce one.

Jon

• Like 1