British Airways Concorde 1/144

Einar

I built this British Airways Concorde in the elegant "Union Jack / Chatham dockyard" scheme some time ago. For me as an enthusiast of vintage airliners having a model of the Concorde on my shelf was a must. The last flight of the Concorde took place in October 2003, so almost 20 years ago. So, IMHO we can call her a vintage airliner. The terrible crash after the take-off at Paris CDG airport was, of course, one of the reasons for the termination of Concorde's era but the consumption of fuel according to present standards was also astronomical, about 10 times the amount per passenger than in today's airliners.

This is a Revell 1/144 scale kit with aftermarket parts from Draw decals and Metal detail's photoetches. The kit was quite ok, the only problem being the cockpit windows. As usual in Revell's airliner kits the cockpit and cabin windows are clear parts. Since the cockpit window frames of the Concorde are very thin I simply wasn't able to paint them accurately enough to the somewhat thick clear plastic part of the kit. Thus, I decided instead to order a Concorde details decal set with cockpit windows from Draw Decals. It really beats me that the excellent decal sheet of the kit doesn't include a decal for the cockpit windows.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
I pushed the submit button by accident
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Is that the stealth version?

Sorry Dave, My mistake 😞 I pushed the submit button by accident before having started to write the text and send the photos. My post is now ready to be watched 

Einar

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

BM is spoiled this month with Concordes 😉

Wonderful build of an iconic aircraft.

The Revell kit is ok,but it has its fair share of issues.

You did a great job on this one.

Thank you Alex!

Einar

Hi Einar

Concorde makes for a beautiful model and you have excelled yourself. I wasn't a great fan of the real aircraft (I always found it easier to admire Concorde than like it) but the technology was amazing and it's hard to believe that such a futuristic looking machine first flew in 1969 when I was still at school. It's funny how odd details stick in your mind but I remember being in a taxi on my way to get my motorbike back from servicing when news of the Paris crash came over the radio. I felt at the time it was the beginning of the end and so it proved.

Thanks for sharing

Dave G

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi Einar

Concorde makes for a beautiful model and you have excelled yourself. I wasn't a great fan of the real aircraft (I always found it easier to admire Concorde than like it) but the technology was amazing and it's hard to believe that such a futuristic looking machine first flew in 1969 when I was still at school. It's funny how odd details stick in your mind but I remember being in a taxi on my way to get my motorbike back from servicing when news of the Paris crash came over the radio. I felt at the time it was the beginning of the end and so it proved.

Thanks for sharing

Dave G

Thank you Dave for the compliments and for sharing your memories! RIP Concorde!

Einar 

12 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

What a beautiful model of the lovely airliner. The window decals look absolutely right. Much better than transparencies in my opinion.

Thank you Bertie,

Einar 

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Cklasse said:

I would love to build one, in Singapore Airline livery. Is there such decal for sale? I can get a BA Concorde and use one half of the decal but I need a SIA decal for the other half.

Thanks for the question, but I don't know where you could find such a decal. Sorry😨

Einar

4 hours ago, Cklasse said:

I would love to build one, in Singapore Airline livery. Is there such decal for sale? I can get a BA Concorde and use one half of the decal but I need a SIA decal for the other half.

Several aftermarket decal sheets for the SA/BA Concorde have been produced

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=Aerospatiale+BAC+Concorde&fkORGANISATION[]="Singapore Airlines / British Airways (1977-1980)"

The 26 Decal sheet in 1/144 is still currently available

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=35102175

20 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi Einar, 

That is beautifully done. Your model captures the pure elegance and grace of the real thing. 

Paint job is spot on and I agree the window decals add to the look, and look the part. 

Thanks for sharing 

Kevin 

Thanks Kevin!

Einar