80s CBLS practice munitions

Blacktjet

Could the above dispense paint marker bombs? I've recently been sent two pictures of the Black 16 squadron Buccaneer, it was fitted out with 2 x CBLS.100 on the outer pylons, also painted black. 

I was on 2 squadron at the time and a friend on 16 told me that the intention was to beat up all the airfields with the a/c and I was wondering if there might have been the intention to paint bomb the runways.

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

I can’t imagine that it would be acceptable to drop any kind of munition either training or inert types over an active airfield tbh :frantic:

My thoughts too but you'd be surprised at what things a disbanding squadron will get up to!

Can't think of any other reason why they would have fitted 2 x CBLS to an aircraft that was painted in a scheme that was expected to last just a few days.

10 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

Could the above dispense paint marker bombs? I've recently been sent two pictures of the Black 16 squadron Buccaneer, it was fitted out with 2 x CBLS.100 on the outer pylons, also painted black. 

I was on 2 squadron at the time and a friend on 16 told me that the intention was to beat up all the airfields with the a/c and I was wondering if there might have been the intention to paint bomb the runways.

Early 80's 4lb and 28lb practice bombs.

Late 80's 3kg and 14kg practice bombs.

No such thing as a paint bomb. Dropping anything on an Airfield is Court Martial territory!

Selwyn

4 hours ago, Fat fingers said:

Didn't  a Sea Harrier manage to drop a practice bomb on to one of the carriers?

Yes RAF Pilot dropped a practice bomb on the Invincible, actually went in and exploded.

During a routine training exercise on 20 April a small practice bomb, released by a Sea Harrier aircraft, struck and penetrated the flight deck of HMS Ark Royal. The exercise involved the practice bombing of a surface target which was being towed some 500 yards astern of Ark Royal. There were six casualties who suffered injuries, mainly burns; damage to the ship was minor. Immediate repairs were carried out allowing the ship to proceed with its task; further repairs are being undertaken during the ship's current stay in Portsmouth. The cost of these repairs is around £60,000.

On 11/22/2021 at 5:21 PM, Shaun said:

I've read Bucanners have toilet roll bombed places before....lol

Just been confirmed that by someone who was toilet roll bombed by Buccaneers during a TACEVAL at Waddington. Maybe the plan was to do a toilet roll bombing tour with the black Buccaneer.

There was a folk tale of a Lossiemouth based Buccaneer bombing a Soviet spy trawler with stuffed teddy bears!!

Apparently it flew to somewhere for a weekend landaway. The crew did a bit of shopping, including kids toys. They were stowed in the baggage pannier fitted in the bomb bay. On flying back over the North Sea, they spotted the trawler and decided to do a simulated attack.

The pilot forgot about the "cargo" and rolled the bomb door open. All the sudden airflow passing through the bomb bay, nicely emptied the contents of the pannier across the trawler. 🤣🤡

• Like 1
  • Haha 2