Whats the most unusual thing you've used in a Car Model

Toftdale

Whilst trying to find a gear knob for my Caterham build I came across this on eBay 

p?i=3d0f3bf38219f085d02e2c8e24d6a840

It's actually a nose stud and cost me less than 2 quid for three delivered.  I was just wondering has anyone else used something you would not expect too? - Andy 

• Like 2

That looks a very effective gear stick Andy, need to remember that!

I can't think of anything non modelling related I've used, just a couple of crossovers from my aircraft modelling - small decal stencils for lettering on fire extinquishers and on a rally car build I'm just finishing for my 7 year old grand-daughter for Christmas Tamiya tape for seat harnesses. I've never been really happy with ribbon as I think the texture is well overscale. I've used the tape to make 1/72 belts many times so thought I'd try it in 1/24 and think it shows promise!

Keith 

• Like 3

Real BMW cars use an unusual type of cable-tie. Opened up and flattened out they are a ladder form. They use three sizes.

The smallest size is good for a 1/72 - 1/76 window-cleaner's ladder and the middle size is good for a regular ladder on 1/72 fire-engines, which I've used them as

I know its not a car; on this DUKW I used the smallest size for the driver's ladder and the middle size for the passengers' ladder

Magilligan%20-%20Greencastle%20DUKW%20fe

Magilligan%20-%20Greencastle%20DUKW%20fe

• Like 5

The only thing that comes to mind was when I was building an ancient Revell Ferrari 308.

The gear knob was somewhat anaemic and wimpy in chrome.

I used a round headed sewer's pin. I had to cut the end off to make the shaft short enough (That was a bit of a trial. The steel in the pin is quite hard!)

I painted the head black and it slotted right in to the gear shift gate. Slightly oversized, but a vast improvement over the kit provided abomination...

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Typo
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Alan R said:

The gear knob was somewhat anaemic and wimpy in chrome.

Talking of gear knobs, I forgot I lost the one for my recent Nissan 350Z build so I replaced it with a small bit of White Tak rolled into a ball and painted silver and then coated in Tamiya clear blue - quick and dirty custom gear knob replacement !!

One other non modelling item I remembered I use is pieces of plastic drinking straw for exhaust tips - the wall thickness is much more to scale than kit parts. I think these have been banned in Europe now so if you see any grab them while you can !! 🤣

Keith

• Like 3

That reminds me that I've used the corrugated bendy section of plastic straws for the corrugated exhaust section on certain old style cars where the exhausts come out from the side of the bonnet/hood and goes down through the wing/fender

A photo would help.

This is my 1940s Batman car, built about 14 years ago. I'd like to do it again sometime.

Batman%20Car%2C%2012-M.jpg

And the bendy sections of straws as exhausts. They're a bit bashed now though

Batman%20Car%2C%2012a-M.jpg

• Like 4

The whiskers used to drop out on their own,honest........The only trouble being that they were white so had to be painted black. Just realised we have a fairly new puppy but he needs to grow up a bit first,his whiskers are far too small! Chris. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some years ago I scratch built a 1/4 scale model of an AC 3000ME chassis - the centre tub was aluminium sheet salvaged from the skin of an old caravan that I dismantled, and the front subframe top rails, which are the only round tube sections on the chassis, previously saw service as brake pipes on my Triumph Spitfire.

ME-Chassis-4.jpg

• Like 5

Lead tape for tennis racquet frames for seat belts and hose clamps.  SS insect pins for wire wheel spokes (available down to 0.27mm!), electric shaver screens for intake venturi screens, wine bottle cork lead sheet (well, they used to be lead) again for hose clamps and seat belts.  In stead of guitar strings (too stiff) I wrap 0.8 or 1mm solder with 0.3 mm solder for reinforced hoses in 1/12th.