I should get a spray Booth, what should I be looking at

Broadway

I want to try a few different paint types, rather than the water based acrylics I mainly use. The occasion spray can has bee managed by a mask and leaving the room with the window left open. What are the good options at the moment for one rated for flammable vapours? A flashback would not go well with SWMBO :) 

Venting would either through a window approx 6 ft away or maybe into the loft, but I am not sure how good an idea that would be. There is an external wall, but I am a bit reluctant to drill a hole as the room doubles as a spare bedroom

I recenly bought one of these from Air-Craft

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Sparmax-SB-88-Spray-Booth-161100.html

Seems to have a decent bit of sucking power, sheet of A4 sticks to the rear filter.

Sturdy rubber hose and can vent from top or either side of the fan unit.

I also have a venting kit that attaches to an open window like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conditioner-Window-Machine-YA-Portable-Air-Conditioning/dp/B091KKVMFN/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B091KKVMFN&th=1

Haven't fitted it yet and just poke the exhaust pipe out the window.

Spray booth was easy to put together from the clear instructions, looks like it should last a while

Glad I bought it, solid unit and comes with a turntable and spare filter.  

Edited by Tijuana Taxi
  • Like 3

If you're going to start using anything other than true water based acrylics like AK, Mig Ammo, Vallejo etc, longterm, Tamiya and Mr Hobby Aqueous acrylics are alcohol based.  You're going to need a quality extraction booth/vent, especially if you wish to use lacquers i.e. Tamiya LP,  Mr Color, AK real, etc and most true metallic paint.

There's really only one way to go, it's not cheap but it the best and will last a lifetime BV300S-D  Martin is out of stock right now, reason they're good and sell fast.  I tried the Sparmax and Aircom vents both cheaper but they aren't up to the job with lacquers especially when airbrushing, larger scale kits.  I could still smell the vapour forcing me to wear a mask and the room stunk for a good while afterwards, even with a window open, which isn't good when applying top or clear coats. 

With the BV I can spray all but Zero and Alclad without smelling an odor and then it's just a hint, they're pretty smelly paints very high solvent content.            

• Like 3

To be honest you should be using a extractor whatever paint you're using, even water based ones. To say they're harmless is just the manufacturers way of swaying you to purchase their troublesome products. Granted they don't smell as much as lacquer and enamel paints, but I love the smell of lacquer in the morning! However they still kick out the same amount particles into the air that you'll breath in.

I've had the same extractor as mentioned by @kev the modeller

for around 10 years now, probably not the cheapest but they're a good solid piece of kit.

• Like 2

Having reread the original post I fully agree about getting a more powerful extraction system.

I did look at the Bench Vent model, but considered it unnecessary for my purposes.

Never going to use anything that produces strong fumes, one of the worst triggers for my cluster headaches.

Also true about airborne particles, but the cheaper booth I use does seem to deal with those from my water based acrylics.

Horses for courses I suppose, but i'm happier knowing  a good deal of harmful matter is being expelled from the room.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tijuana Taxi said:

Having reread the original post I fully agree about getting a more powerful extraction system.

I did look at the Bench Vent model, but considered it unnecessary for my purposes.

Never going to use anything that produces strong fumes, one of the worst triggers for my cluster headaches.

Also true about airborne particles, but the cheaper booth I use does seem to deal with those from my water based acrylics.

Horses for courses I suppose, but i'm happier knowing  a good deal of harmful matter is being expelled from the room.

Absolutely,  any extractor is far better than none at all.

28 minutes ago, tank152 said:

To be honest you should be using a extractor whatever paint you're using, even water based ones. To say they're harmless is just the manufacturers way of swaying you to purchase their troublesome products. Granted they don't smell as much as lacquer and enamel paints, but I love the smell of lacquer in the morning! However they still kick out the same amount particles into the air that you'll breath in.

I've had the same extractor as mentioned by @kev the modeller

for around 10 years now, probably not the cheapest but they're a good solid piece of kit.

Yes I agree, my comment of a 'quality' vent/extractor is that anything less (those previously mentioned IMHO) isn't up to the job of capturing/filtering non water based acrylics, which @Broadway states he want to try/use.  The other vents mentioned are up to handling water based acrylic but not solvent or high use alcohol based acrylics.  

On 11/19/2021 at 8:59 AM, Kev The Modeller said:

If you're going to start using anything other than true water based acrylics like AK, Mig Ammo, Vallejo etc, longterm, Tamiya and Mr Hobby Aqueous acrylics are alcohol based.  You're going to need a quality extraction booth/vent, especially if you wish to use lacquers i.e. Tamiya LP,  Mr Color, AK real, etc and most true metallic paint.

There's really only one way to go, it's not cheap but it the best and will last a lifetime BV300S-D  Martin is out of stock right now, reason they're good and sell fast.  I tried the Sparmax and Aircom vents both cheaper but they aren't up to the job with lacquers especially when airbrushing, larger scale kits.  I could still smell the vapour forcing me to wear a mask and the room stunk for a good while afterwards, even with a window open, which isn't good when applying top or clear coats. 

With the BV I can spray all but Zero and Alclad without smelling an odor and then it's just a hint, they're pretty smelly paints very high solvent content.            

I've gone for Benchvent, expensive, but if it keeps the house clear it will be worth it. A five week delivery timescale so it will be a bit of a wait.

On 11/18/2021 at 9:46 PM, Tijuana Taxi said:

I also have a venting kit that attaches to an open window like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conditioner-Window-Machine-YA-Portable-Air-Conditioning/dp/B091KKVMFN/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B091KKVMFN&th=1

Haven't fitted it yet and just poke the exhaust pipe out the window.

I didn't know about these, thanks for the information.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Broadway said:

I didn't know about these, thanks for the information.

I've got something very similar, works a treat.  Keeps aircurrents out, dust etc from settling on wet surfaces and heat/cold air out while airbrushing.  Mine is attached with velcro, easily removed if needs be, that said the window will close with it inplace once the vent duct is removed.     

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I made my own using mdf.

For the fan I used a 12v flame proof extraction fan from a boats engine room. It connects to 100mm extraction hose.

For lights I used 5 10w 12v led's.

It's 800mm wide but if I was making a new one I would make it 1m, I think it's 600mm high and wide.

All in it Probsbly cost about 80 quid.

• 10 months later...
On 12/29/2021 at 10:38 PM, Doggy said:

I made my own using mdf.

For the fan I used a 12v flame proof extraction fan from a boats engine room. It connects to 100mm extraction hose.

For lights I used 5 10w 12v led's.

It's 800mm wide but if I was making a new one I would make it 1m, I think it's 600mm high and wide.

All in it Probsbly cost about 80 quid.

A man after my own heart! Where did you get the parts? 

Mike

• 4 weeks later...