*done* V-P got a KUTA (B-17G-35-BO 42-31990 MS*R "Stage Door Canteen")

vppelt68

Ok, continuing with an old and slow, very untypical of me build originating in the cold wild world WIP:s and then moving into the cover of the 2020 Stranger in Town GB, and then because it was way under 25% limit it got a new start in They Also Serve GB...

Here comes the Ridgewell Celebrity again. Maybe I get her finished this time? Here she goes anyway...

2021-11-18_11-20-28

• Like 8

Still some detail painting to do even with these subassemblies, but here they are all together for the first time.

IMG_20211121_232827

I have understood how pointless is it for me to spend hours and umpty euros in aftermarket or scratch built details that will never be seen once the fuselage is buttoned up. Just not my cup of t. 

IMG_20211121_232849

Here's what the kit delivers. Swiwel seats need touching up and the chin turret controls haven't been painted yet. V-P

• Like 8

Suddenly it looks a lot less exciting.

IMG_20211130_232307

Added some bits and pieces. Waist windows... decided to add them after buttoning up the fuselage - well, no I didn't, I kinda forgot :doh:. Starboard side window is a custom job made to fit to the new opening and can be applied from the outside, it has no "lips". Port side can be added through the starboard opening. I'll add the Airfix smooth one panel windows but I'll use a mask set designed for the Revell three panel windows to paint them look like the early ones. I can live with that.

IMG_20211130_232209

The pop-off windows are also waiting for the Revell kit masks. Eduard fails to deliver them in any of their sets for the Airfix kit. V-P

• Like 6

An update on the SDC. She'll yet one layer of OD on her rear fuselage, but I'm very happy to see her blue-grey plastic all covered with paint. The fin center panel is painted with "Boeing sub-contractor green".

IMG_20211203_174245

Chin and ball turrets are assembled and masked, but not yet painted. The forward one is just pushed on for the looks. Open bomb bay doors ease handling of the kit. Oh dear, I'm afraid she will be a tailsitter :winkgrin:. V-P

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Oh dear, I'm afraid she will be a tailsitter :winkgrin:. V-P

It's a shame you left the nosewheel out when you closed the fuselage up, it would have looked amazing  :surprised:

Looks great V-P 

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 5

I needed a morale boost after brush painting three layers of olive drab, olive drab, olive drab on the SDC, so as soon as it was feasible? reasonable? possible? I had to add some stickers on her. It's a combination of Airfix, Revell and Kits-worlds decals. SDC has all the same serial numbers than the #909. They are also both "R" lettered. How convenient, thank you.

IMG_20211209_153110

Morale is sky high now :yahoo:. SDC, tbc V-P

• Like 13

Hi. Maybe you all think I'm posting pics without reasonable amount of progress, but I'll post them anyway :coolio:

2021-12-12_09-41-16

Actually, there is quite a big step ahead now. As the fuselage is only lacking its tail wheel (wheel only, not its strut), starboard waist window (waiting for the appropriate mask set needed to finish them) and both waist guns, I'll now roll my sleeves and finally start working on the wings!

About the SDC, by the way: In pics of her taken at her christening ceremony in Ridgewell she sports the un-armored pop-off windshields and a replacement, NMF top turret. I try to show her how she looked that day. V-P

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Any progress is progress V-P. This Fortress is looking great.

Thank you Ray, and in that case:

2021-12-17_08-36-10

A pic from wednesday evening (Irons are just on their way to be defeated by the Gunners). First dry fit with the assembled wings on. Beginning to look a lot like Fortress. I had pre-painted the wing halves, upper OD and lower NG of course, before assembling them. I have now fixed some seams and corrected the demarcation at nacelles. I also gave the lower surfaces one more layer of neutral grey. Next job is to mask and paint the de-icing boots. I really do need to shorten all the mg barrels too... V-P

• Like 11

Another photo angle for change! I'm cheating, though; to ease assembling the big radials, the wings and main gear wheels aren't cemented yet. This was the first time SDC stood on her own legs. I'm working on the engines now, they are done except the exhaust collector rings. Baby steps... 🙂

2021-12-20_02-13-36

Btw I took a look at where I "started" this KUTA build, and came up that it was way less than 25% finished back then. After two DNF:s in previous group builds she more than deserves a place here, though. V-P

Edit: Later, as I watched it on a build tray-sort-of...

2021-12-20_06-50-33

...I couldn't help myself from adding this :giggle:

2021-12-20_06-52-38

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

@vppelt68 It's looking mighty fine, certainly deserves to be finished and a place in KUTA gallery :) 

About the 'I was inverted' pic - I actually saw a crow do that! :D It was quite windy day around christmas and crow was flying against the wind - then it just flipped over for a while while making a cheerful-crow-sound (whatever the sound is that crows make when they are cheerful...) and soon returned to it's normal flight attitude. He seemed to have fun.

• Haha 3

Hi VP,

I'm here to give my full support to see this Hangar Queen finished.👍
This will maybe give me the mojo to continue a B17 Airfix which is also vegetating (interior construction completed, that's all!)

Besides, I wonder if this loss of mojo is not due to the complexity of today's models: are there too many parts? 🤨

Before the new Airfix and Revell models, there was NOTHING in the 1/72 B17. Okay, I admit that I scratched the interior of two models, but that was before!

I'm keeping two B17 Hasegawa models for the future Group Build, as the construction will be easy and I'll be able to take care of the exterior without losing time on the crew stations.

Because let's face it, you can't see ANYTHING once the fuselage is closed. :clown:

Please, VP, hang in there and finish this B17, maybe it will motivate me for mine!😋

It looks very good, now. You gave me the idea to copy you for this model: transforming an early production Airfix late model G (my stock contains another one!), changing the staggered waist guns and using an Academy stinger turret mould. Thanks for the tip!

You paint with brushes, don't you?

I will probably take one of my models and use a very light earth colour wash (humbrol 26, or an olive drab faded) on the decals, which will allow them to blend in a little more with the green of the camouflage.

Have fun in modeling.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Eric! Rest assured, she will be finished during this KUTA 🙂. I had a two week pause from model building, as our son was home for holidays and his old room is nowadays where I have a workbench (just a normal desk), kits, supplies and tools. Then I had to finish a build in the Nordic GB 2 by Sunday and also started an F/A-18C in a new STGB. I did receive the Revell kit paint masks during Christmas time though, so I could finally add the waist windows and mg:s.

2022-01-11_11-17-43

I added some black wash to starboard mg barrel, and accidentally touched the fuselage to waist window insert seam too :doh:. It looks horrible in the pic and I must try to  cover it with paint. Oh yes! I had to check my previous posts, I hadn´t mentioned yet that she also has all her big radials assembled and attached. The exhausts, cowlings and props are in the paint shop.  V-P

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to V-P gets a KUTA (B-17G-35-BO 42-31990 MS*R "Stage Door Canteen")
  • 2 weeks later...

Snail pace "progress" but I believe this is the last post with pics in the build thread. Let's start with a rear quarter pic as the latest pic in the previous post is one.

IMG_20220120_144254

I have attached the wings, rear entrance door and nose escape hatch. The wings are missing the national insignia and some selected few stencils I think I should apply.

Truth to be told, she'll stay without the starboard wingtip group marking for a while. I think I had one large triangle-L somewhere but it appears to have taken a Toonerville Trolley to town, awol.

Well I'll be shopping for a bunch of Kitsworld decals soon anyway, that'll come to my rescue.

IMG_20220120_144411

The props need their tips to be painted yellow. I masked them off before painting the blades, now it's rather easy to dip the tips with yellow up to that edge of black paint.

The props are yet only pushed on for show and safe-keeping! All the cowlings are assembled, in an open position, and painted with Hu 128 (no, they are not bare plastic!).

It's easier to match the OD with the nacelles while they are in place. Exhausts and turbochargers are also nearly painted. I'll attach them after #1 and #4 cowlings are painted, but before I finish number #2 and #3.

At least it's good to have a plan. Let's see how it goes 🙂V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1