TLC - Transports, Loaders and Carriers Chat

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm set on a parallel track, Ozzy. I'll be doing a German Faun tank transporter here and a Panzerhaubitze 2000 in the Leopard GB. That will give me a lot of extra space in the wardrobe!

Bertie its certainly a way of using shelf space wisely, I've done it in the past with rail flat cars.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trevor L said:

I'm not on the list yet but I voted TLC in the bunfight, and I'd like to jump on board with one of these if I could...

spacer.png

This GB is open for everyone regardless of the vote. Great subject, welcome onboard

• Thanks 1

On 04/02/2023 at 12:32, robw_uk said:

Would a 1/4 tonne utility truck (or a Jeep) be acceptable? Plan to load it with stowage rather than the .50 cal

As Pin said, a jeep would be acceptable.
I have half a mind to build a jeep myself, so, jeeps are very acceptable.

On 05/02/2023 at 22:23, Trevor L said:

I'm not on the list

You are on the list now!  And with a very appealing kit lined up (my opinion).

Provided they have a suitable kit, anybody can jump into a build - even if they didn't vote for the GB.

Don't want to think about the carnage that'd be caused if you could only join builds you'd voted for.

And what about the people who didn't vote for any of the 'winning' builds?

Sorry, rant over.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm looking forward to this one, 80% of my stash is eligible... Now, if I could only decide. Scania LB 141, a 6x4 MAN truck, a Mack, an Autocar, and I have a resin transkit for a Scania Vabis 111... and much more! At this moment, however, I'm leaning towards building one of my (I have two) Revell Krupp Titans. 

20200207184608-78437aee.jpg

They're awesome trucks. But, I don't want to build it like this, it's a little too common. I have this book: 

20230210132332-e6b53da1-me.jpg

There are many different trucks in there. Something like the cover picture would be really nice, but I'm not sure if that would work without some difficult mods to the cab, it looks like it should be wider because here it's as wide as the body. I'll have to look into that. It would sure be something different. 

But I would also settle for this

20230210132332-c832aee6-me.jpg

or even, a short wheel base fifth wheel truck like this, which I think is also pretty darn nice. 

20230210132332-ee5e71ed-me.jpg

Choices... 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Think I can build one kit in this GB, but I have a choice:

I'm rather taken with John Masters' "whole lota jeep" build in the Scouting GB.
This is similar plastic:
"tlc_jeep_000.jpg

The trailer was raided for another build, but the Jeep and figures are still present.

I've already mentioned my Loyd Carrier:
tlc_lc_001.jpg

Or, changing brands, I could go build a Universal Carrier (aka Bren Carrier, or Bren Gun Carrier).
tlc_uc_000.jpg

In real life, the Loyd Carrier used components from the Universal Carrier; together, these would make an interesting comparison...

... but, I don't build fast enough to go for two builds (let alone three).

Decisions ...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

In real life, the Loyd Carrier used components from the Universal Carrier; together, these would make an interesting comparison...

... but, I don't build fast enough to go for two builds (let alone three).

If you build the Univesal and Loyd Carriers to compare them, then in effect you only have one project...   :wicked:  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

If you build the Univesal and Loyd Carriers to compare them, then in effect you only have one project...   :wicked:  

One project, but two kits.  I'd be stoopid to try (who said I wasn't ...?)

• Haha 2

Hi folk's looking to see what's in the  limited stash for this one I have Airfix's D.H.Beaver which my Grandson got my for Christmas and I've never built this kit before

love to do the US Army version am I good to go with it?

I'll do variations on a theme by GM. Their CCKW more specifically, in 1/48. I have Tamiya's basic truck and their airfield tanker as well as Gaso.line's DUKW. Other variations will be cranes from MP Originals and Gaso.line. I'll start with the truck and tanker; how many more and which are TBD.

I'll start presently as I'm nearly done with the small bits of woodworking on my sailing cruiser.

• Like 2

I presume these will be eligible?

DSC07895-crop

1 old fashioned APC and 3 so called Infantry Fighting Vehicles.

I have just bought some AK-Interactive "Real Colour" paint which I gather is an "Acrylic Laquer" - never used any of that before but I have watched a couple of reviews on You Tube and I gather my normal Gunze Mr Colour Self Levelling Thinner should work? Anybody know what I should use to clean my brushes/airbrush after use as apparently it reacts badly with some thinners/solvents. Normally I use water and some Windex when using in my Badger but one review showed it going solid in Windex. I did read that white spirit or maybe cellulose thinners might work for cleaning?

Any tips/info would be welcome.

Pete

I have been patiently waiting for this group build to start - another 7 days til the start.  

I see that this has been moved over to the "current group builds" area with the appropriate section for builds (etc).  In light of that I have created the spots for my intended builds.  For this group build I am going to try working on two projects concurrently. Time will tell how well that plan holds together.

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's looking to see what's in the  limited stash for this one I have Airfix's D.H.Beaver which my Grandson got my for Christmas and I've never built this kit before

love to do the US Army version am I good to go with it?

Hello @stevej60, what role did that airframe perform in US service?

@dnl42, those all sound good.
@PeterB, yes, think IFV were discussed earlier.  Their primary role is transport, on or off the battlefield.
@ColonelKrypton, Graham, those sound intriguing.  The Lorraine cause a double take, until I understood what you were doing.

29 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hello @stevej60, what role did that airframe perform in US service?

Hi Robert,used for transport,training Casevac and on occasion recon in Vietnam the Airfix kit includes floats for the US version.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

used for transport, ... Casevac

Transport sounds good, as does Casevac, both are appropriate roles.  If your build can focus on one (or both) of these roles, you are good to go :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Transport sounds good, as does Casevac, both are appropriate roles.  If your build can focus on one (or both) of these roles, you are good to go :)

Thank's Robert as far as I can tell the machine in the Airfix kit operated with floats and standard wheels so could do either.i probably will do another later thinking something

rotory.

• Like 1