TLC - Transports, Loaders and Carriers Chat

“The term 'Brake' in a coach description indicates that the coach has a guard's compartment equipped with a train brake.” (source)

“The term ‘composite’ refers to a carriage having more than one class of seating.” (source).

The classes were, typically, first, second, and third.  First being the more expensive, and third being for the likes of me.

Typically, trains of this era would prioritise first and third class.
Few people wanted to call themselves as second class citizens, so these compartments and carriages generated little revenue.

Later, the old second class was dropped, and third re-classified as second.

I'm a little doubtful about two brake carriages in such a small rake, but different companies had different policies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I'm a little doubtful about two brake carriages in such a small rake

To be honest, so am I.  Another concern is the ratio of first to third seating, which is also quite unlikely.  It would be more likely to be a composite (or first), two thirds and a brake third.   But they are what I have in The Stash, so I'm going wiv wot I got.  :D  

The brakes did have guards in them but after vacuum braking was fitted, the guards were basically just used as safetymen so there would only need to be one.  The brake areas would be dedicated to smaller items of goods and parcels.  In my mind, the service this is part of runs to Blackpool, Morecambe or Fleetwood during the summer so requires a lot of parcel space to deal with the amount of postcards being sent.  :lol:  

Would a Formula 1 racing car be eligible? It only transports one person and isn't exactly designed to transport anything.  I suppose it's a bit iffy. 

I've just enjoyed building a Lotus 72 so much that I'm looking to see what GBs next year could squeeze in another racing car.  :) 

10 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Would a Formula 1 racing car be eligible? It only transports one person and isn't exactly designed to transport anything.  I suppose it's a bit iffy. 

I've just enjoyed building a Lotus 72 so much that I'm looking to see what GBs next year could squeeze in another racing car.  :) 

Nah, I think that would be really stretching the definition of transport. I don't think you'd make any F1 driver happy by saying they're just cargo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Nah, I think that would be really stretching the definition of transport. I don't think you'd make any F1 driver happy by saying they're just cargo. 

:D  I think you're right, but I had to ask...     It's not like I don't have plenty of other options for this GB.  :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

6 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Agree.

The green light was already given to the posed jeep question ... so any vehicle dedicated as a military staff car should be alright?  Am looking at the Horch, specifically this one which belongs to the regimental HQ of a flak unit.

qtvbpimrp4q61.jpg

• Like 2

On 29/11/2022 at 09:55, Cammer625 said:

How about a Aussie Beaufreighter? If so, I’m in. Cheers

I don't know the type, but if it was used to transport cargo, as the name suggests, then yes.

6 hours ago, JackG said:

so any vehicle dedicated as a military staff car should be alrigh

In general, yes.  Your Horch will be fine.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 11:01 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Somebody mentioned trucks and bulldozers, in passing, earlier.
I feel it is going to be difficult to present a bulldozer as a form of transport; trucks OK, but bulldozers?

I was actually looking for a picture of an Arctic land train towed by a bulldozer and found this  https://hamfish.artstation.com/projects/w804qO 😄

1 hour ago, dcrfan said:

I was actually looking for a picture of an Arctic land train towed by a bulldozer

A land train would, probably, work for this build, even if towed by a bulldozer.

The Arctic rescue vehicle, Old Faithful?  Not sure of the use case here, but that looks like a possible build too? WiF.

I totally lost track of this years GB nominations and voting, but having a think I'm in for this one with a Thunder Models 1/35 Scammell Pioneer with 30 ton goose neck trailer if its released in time. To then add a Grant MkII later in the year in the North Africa GB.

• Like 3