TLC - Transports, Loaders and Carriers Chat

We all need a bit of support and TLC from time to time.

Well, this build is for the support and transport types; the supporting tail rather than the striking head.

Who: ...

What: Military and civilian transports. For example: troop carriers, busses, lorries and supply carriers, and associated support units.

Excluded types: Bombers, fighters, tanks (the striking elements).

Included: Types where the primary role is as a carrier, loader or transporter (the supporting tail) and many civilian types.

Edge case examples:

HP Victor tanker - yes (carries/supplies fuel); HP Victor bomber - no.
C-130 Hercules - yes; AC-130 gunship - no

When: History

Where (Element): Land, Sea and Air (and space?)

What do you think?

1. Robert Stuart (host)
  2. CoursairFoxFourUncle
  3. CliffB
  4. Bertie Psmith
  5. helios16v
  6. TimJ
  7. zebra
  8. Hockeyboy76
  9. JeroenS (co-host)
  10. Ernie
  11. vppelt68
  12. Romeo Alpha Yankee
  13. dnl42
  14. Marklo
  15. Rob S
  16. Moggy
  17. Toryu
  18. DaveJL
  19. Jabba
  20. Bobby No Mac
  21. Jockney
  22. Adam Poultney
  23. TonyOD
  24. theplasticsurgeon
  25. JLTninja
  26. paul-muc
  27. Tim R-T-C
  28. Hewy
  29. arfa1983
  30. bianfuxia
  31. John Masters
  32. georgeusa
  33. PeterB
  34. JackG
  35. Grandboof
  36. ColonelKrypton

37. psdavidson

38. Pin (co-host)

39. Maginot

40. Bullbasket

41. robw_uk

42. desert falcon

43. Enzo the Magnificent

44. Thom216

45. Col.

46. Ngantek

47. PhantomBigStu

48. ChristerA

49. sardaukar

50. ozzy

51. cammer625

52. dcrfan

53. airfixpeter

54. Bootneck

55. MRMRL

56. TrevorL

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

We all need a bit of support and TLC from time to time.

Well, this build is for the support and transport types; the supporting tail rather than the striking head.

Who: ...

What: Military and civilian transports. For example: troop carriers, busses, lorries and supply carriers, and associated support units.

Excluded types: Bombers, fighters, tanks (the striking elements).

Included: Types where the primary role is as a carrier, loader or transporter (the supporting tail) and many civilian types.

Edge case examples:

HP Victor tanker - yes (carries/supplies fuel); HP Victor bomber - no.
C-130 Hercules - yes; AC-130 gunship - no

When: History

Where (Element): Land, Sea and Air (and space?)

What do you think?

I have questions, what if it started life as a bomber but was re-purposed and modified into a transport ? The medium bombers converted into executive aircraft in the 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s. I actually know of several A-26’s and B-25’s. There is even one B-17 (Col. Robert McCormick/Chicago Tribune) all of these types have been converted into private corporate aircraft. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_R._McCormick

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/b17registry/b17-4485507.html

If you say no thats fine I'm sure I can always find something, maybe a deuce and a half ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

Following your Warbirds link , Denis

Purchased as scrap.
{snip}
Fitted with beds, desk, library & swivel easy chair in nose.
- Used for business flights to Europe, Africa, South America, & the Caribbean.

That sounds like a great story to me, yes, go for it.
:)

• Thanks 1

A tank transporter is obviously in and a tank is obviously out. This suits me as I have a tank transporter to build soon. I had a couple of other ideas which need clearance though.

Would you accept:

a tank recovery vehicle, an AVRE, which recovers (usually tows) broken tanks from the battlefield

an armoured personnel carrier, APC, which transports soldiers right up to the fighting.

I think probably not as both of these tend to have a few guns around for self protection, but then so might a Herc in a combat zone. 

• Like 1

I don't think self defense armament is an issues, as he didn't call out specifically unarmed.  As long as they are not armed/tasked as a strike vehicle...which I can certainly see where an APC might fall into a grey area (though I would probably consider its primary role as a troop transport).  But we'll let Robert make the final call.  :popcorn:

Hey @JeroenS, here a GB proposal that's right up your wheel house!  :clap:

You might as well put me down for this one.  I'm a fan of the "non-mainstream" topic and certainly have a couple subjects available in the stash.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Would you accept:

a tank recovery vehicle, an AVRE, which recovers (usually tows) broken tanks from the battlefield

an armoured personnel carrier, APC, which transports soldiers right up to the fighting.

Both would be fine, as would a tank transporter. 
BTW: If you want to display the tank transporter with a load (e.g. a tank), that would be fine, just so long as the focus of this build is the transporter.

Chris @helios16v I couldn't have put it better - yes to what you just said.

Talking of callouts, wonder if we can get @Hockeyboy76's interest - I think he knows something about transporting stuff.

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

BTW: If you want to display the tank transporter with a load (e.g. a tank), that would be fine, just so long as the focus of this build is the transporter.

That would be brilliant as I could then use both parts of my intended Leopard GB entry, a German SP Howitzer on a transporter! (I'd build the 'tank' in advance though as it's just the cargo in this context and the transporter is a huge kit.) Please add me to that list. Yay!

• Like 2

Count me in. About half of my stash would fit the bill although I might think about something a bit left field. The B-17 used in Project Coldfeet is one I'm keen to build - it transported people to an ice floe, dropped them by parachute, then picked them up again using the Fulton skyhook system and transported them home - sounds like a transport role to me!

• Like 1

Absolutely, I'm in! I have some resin trailer wheels and I was thinking to scratch a lowboy type trailer, so this sounds like a good excuse for that.

• Like 1

• Robert Stuart changed the title to TLC - Transports, Loaders and Carriers - at 10
  • Robert Stuart changed the title to TLC - Transports, Loaders and Carriers - at 11
  • Robert Stuart changed the title to TLC - Transports, Loaders and Carriers - at 12
  • Robert Stuart changed the title to TLC - Transports, Loaders and Carriers - at 13
4 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I have plenty of subjects waiting in the stash for something like this, HMMETTs, Fauns and the like.

Oh, right, I have Takom's small scale M1070/M1000/D9R combo in the stash, I might do that one. I love that thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I have plenty of subjects waiting in the stash for something like this, HMMETTs, Fauns and the like.

Also an APA/LPA and Liberty Ship come to mind.

And of course the obligatory C-130 and A400s

Sign me up...

And here I was thinking you would add "and a maybe slightly more than 25 percent complete what was originally an Anigrand 1:72 C-17". 

• Like 1