TLC - Transports, Loaders and Carriers Chat

3 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I bring this beast to the table. 

And I have a Leopard of sorts to go on board if the Leopard GB also runs.

That would work very well Bertie, be great to see a few big kits built here.
Think the Leopard is a STGB, and that all STGBs are running?

• 3 weeks later...

Robert,

I'm considering my voting options!

Would you accept ambulances/medical services as a part of "support"? As you say, we all need some T[ender]L[oving]C[are].

Alan

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Angus Tura said:

Would you accept ambulances/medical services as a part of "support"? As you say, we all need some T[ender]L[oving]C[are].

<CoHost>

Ambulances carry patients so ... I guess it is a yes

</CoHost>

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Robert,

I'm considering my voting options!

Alan

8 hours ago, Pin said:

<CoHost>

Ambulances carry patients so ... I guess it is a yes

</CoHost>

Confirm

I thought that this wouldn't be a GB for me. I mean, how could a Spitfire be a transporter, loader or carrier?

Then I chanced across this bad boy...

spacer.png

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I thought that this wouldn't be a GB for me. I mean, how could a Spitfire be a transporter, loader or carrier?

Hm, truly an edge case. Initially I would think "no" but ....  who could resist the beer? What do you think, @Robert Stuart

• Like 1

@TonyOD, think I'm going to need a stronger argument that 'it transported beer'.
Most vehicles transport their crew, together with any personal baggage they thought to smuggle aboard; luggage, teddy bears, pictures of the spouse/fiancé/person-back-home.

This isn't a “No”.

It is a “How do I let a beer carrying Spitfire in without opening the flood gates?”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

@TonyOD, think I'm going to need a stronger argument that 'it transported beer'.
Most vehicles transport their crew, together with any personal baggage they thought to smuggle aboard; luggage, teddy bears, pictures of the spouse/fiancé/person-back-home.

This isn't a “No”.

It is a “How do I let a beer carrying Spitfire in without opening the flood gates?”

I think the core function of a subject should be considered. Or the minimum number of cases of beer a subject could transport 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

This isn't a “No”.

The story of the beer delivery Spitfires is here:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/beer-carrying-spitfires-of-wwii.html?chrome=1 

On the grounds that it was transport of essential war materiel  😜  with presumably some logistical planning behind it (as opposed to a pilot or crewman just taking personal effects along for the ride), I'd argue that these Spitfires were "transporters", temporarily at least; but given that this wasn't the primary purpose they were designed for and they retained their armament, I'll withdraw the suggestion.

Cheers and wishing you continued success in the bunfight polls.

Tony

• Like 1

If this gets in I have this project in kind

...I'm not sure how it was in the UK or elsewhere, but in the US, post-WW2 and Korea, local Departments of Public Works and fire departments in small towns across the country bought up scads of military utility vehicles at auction (trucks, bulldozers, etc...) and used them for construction, road work, etc...My little scheme is to build a vehicle along these lines using a good kit and lots of little extras and, if it is good enough and I feel confidant about it, enter it into the next IPMS event here in Greece.  

I think that might be fun.  

• Like 2

Just now, Robert Stuart said:

That sounds like an interesting project,

It'll be a challenge of skill level too.  Weathering, but not over the top.  Small diorama when finished...Lots to it.  I may not use all of the finished display for the GB but ultimately that is my goal.

• Like 1

This will be the third one that I've signed up for, and looking at the way that the voting is going, all three could get through. Here's hoping that two don't run at the same time. This build will allow me to get my Bedford QL built at last.

John.

• Like 1