TLC - Transports, Loaders and Carriers Chat

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

The box art say 'Miniature series', I'd hope the beer came in litre bottles myself. I reckon you've got the measure of the BM massif though!! this will be followed eagerly in case anything falls off the back of a lorry!

I'll also be working on some 1:1 bottles of German beer too, purely in the name of research you understand... :D

2aVoaHK.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

I'll also be working on some 1:1 bottles of German beer too, purely in the name of research you understand... :D

The Germans certainly know how to brew a beer that holds a head properly. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

2aVoaHK.jpg

It makes a (welcome) change from the usual paint pot to give an idea of size- could start a trend...off to get a bottle of Adnams to go with my build!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

It makes a (welcome) change from the usual paint pot to give an idea of size- could start a trend...off to get a bottle of Adnams to go with my build!

That could become a Groupbuild tradition.  I have already worked out a valid reason to include Old Speckled Hen in a couple of my build threads.  :D  :beer:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

7 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

That could become a Groupbuild tradition.  I have already worked out a valid reason to include Old Speckled Hen in a couple of my build threads.  :D  :beer:

Great idea. I'm all for tradition, even if it's only just been invented!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

You'll be inundated with bottles of Spitfire, just so's you know.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, psdavidson said:

I have no beer. Can wine bottles count?

a word to the wise- if you can't count the wine bottles, it's probably time to stop. I've a good feeling about this GB, one thread is already overrun with cow puns and the de facto indicator of size in threads will be bottles of alcohol. Milk and alcohol time in the words of sarfends finest!

I just think that with @vppelt68 entering a fuel tanker he's going to need a carry keg.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I've a good feeling about this GB, one thread is already overrun with cow puns and the de facto indicator of size in threads will be bottles of alcohol

And we've not even started yet

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Milk and alcohol time in the words of sarfends finest!

Back in the day, I saw them twice.  Wilko Johnson was absolutely terrifying!  It was as though he was angry about everything that had happened and he was blaming it on everybody he glared at.  And he glared at everyone in the audience!   

• Haha 2

As my fuel tanker's prototype was American, the only drinkable alcohol from that country must be the bourbon. As the great Monty Python once asked, what's in common with making love in a canoe and American beer? They are both ****ing close to water :rofl2:

• Haha 6

On 3/14/2023 at 9:33 AM, Jb65rams said:

I have this in the stash, would it be eligible?

High Speed Tractor

I just noticed the stencil LHD stencil. That would make sense to me if the vehicle was a staff car, cargo transport, or other vehicle expected to spend a fair amount of on British roads. But an M-4, which would be pulling large artillary?

I'm happy to be enlightened.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

We're off, good luck everybody, and have fun 🙂 

We've just started and yet already the Milk Trailer thread sprawls across two pages - just like the traffic jam following one along a country lane.

Better get on it then and off to the shops to buy some Adnams in:beer:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I just noticed the stencil LHD stencil. That would make sense to me if the vehicle was a staff car, cargo transport, or other vehicle expected to spend a fair amount of on British roads. But an M-4, which would be pulling large artillary?

I'm happy to be enlightened.

Initially all US Army vehicles prior to deployment in NW Europe would have transited through the UK but obviously the LHD stencil would have been irrelevant in Europe, but I believe it was a standard stencil. Strange thing is you don’t see it on M4 Sherman’s or M5 Stuart’s. Seen on M3 Halftracks, GMCs and obviously M4 High Speed Tractors. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Strange thing is you don’t see it on M4 Sherman’s or M5 Stuart’s.

Tanks were only moved on transporters maybe?

AW

8 hours ago, Andwil said:

Tanks were only moved on transporters maybe?

AW

I have seen photos of tanks driving on UK roads. I don’t suppose there were enough transporters to move all the tanks. The US Army stopped off in Moreton in Marsh, Gloucestershire with  their M4 Sherman’s. There are a few pics on Google. They were making their way to Southampton. All the M4s have rubber shoe’d tracks.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/overlordheritagecom

Edited by Threadbear

How about a bridge span section of the Mulberry Harbour which carried vehicles and supplies from the ships to the Normandy beach head?

spacer.png

Source:  I.W.M.

It would only be one span section, plus the two floating "Beetle" supports, one at either end.

Mike

• Like 4

Hello Robert,

yes, I did an LST 2 dio in 1:350 scale, then an Pontoon pier in 1:144 scale.    This time, I plan to go large and do the bridge span to 1:35 scale.  With so many british softskins available at 1:35 scale nowadays, I'd like to do a setting with one or two trucks on the bridge.  Unfortunately, due to the size of the bridge span at 1:35 scale, over 2½ feet [80+ CM] and my workbench only being 4 feet, then I will only be able to manage one bridge span.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hello Robert,

yes, I did an LST 2 dio in 1:350 scale, then an Pontoon pier in 1:144 scale.    This time, I plan to go large and do the bridge span to 1:35 scale.  With so many british softskins available at 1:35 scale nowadays, I'd like to do a setting with one or two trucks on the bridge.  Unfortunately, due to the size of the bridge span at 1:35 scale, over 2½ feet [80+ CM] and my workbench only being 4 feet, then I will only be able to manage one bridge span.

Even so, I think that's going to be pretty spectacular! :thumbsup:

:popcorn: 

• Like 2