This is sometimes hard work rather than fun

I know modelling is supposed to be a hobby but sometimes it gets beyond that.

Obsessive stubbornness is what happened here in building this.

This is my attempt at an out-of-the-box Airfix Stirling.  It was a heck of a job.  There was twice as much plastic in the box than necessary  The amount of flash and excess was simply outrageous. 

I spent most of my time simply trying to find the real edges of the mouldings.  And not everything fitted.  In fact little fitted without some heavy duty sanding.

My recommendations are

1. You don't bother unless you enjoy sanding plastic.

2. That Airfix retire this mould to the scrapheap.

3. That when you see a bargain, think twice before parting with your money.

In the end I got to the point where anything would do to get it finished.

Anyway, make of it what you will.  I won't be revisiting the Airfix Stirling for a long, long time.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 55

First released in '66, the kits been around the block a few times.

Despite the fight it put up, you have made a very presentable model of it. Well done for pushing it to completion, it looks the part to me.

I built one a while back. The decals were the biggest problem for me. Much silvering and a lack of adhesion nearly had me give up. I'm glad I didn't though.

• Thanks 1

I've not long built a couple of kits with severe fit problems, neither being particularly old. 

Fortunately there was very little flash, but in a couple of places there was some excess plastic such that I had to chisel outlines in order to get things to fit.

But as with yourself, the work proved fruitful -   in your hands, obviously as my builds still show where the kit won rather than me!

Lovely job on the Stirling, the bombs and tow truck - evidence indeed that hard work pays!

Edited by Whofan
  • Thanks 1

Hard work it may have been, but the result does you great credit. I know what you mean, though, having had similar struggles with other kits.

Edited by clive_t
Rubbish grammar
  • Thanks 1

First of all, congratulations on the superb job. I am surprised this kit has not popped up in my wish list, considering how it tends to attract the worst around.

Well, now I will go back to getting my Mach 2 Seamaster off the ground...supposed to be a fun, no trouble build...😬

• Thanks 1

I think it looks terrific.  It's a shame that it was so difficult.  That's probably the same mold that was used to make the Airfix Sterling my Dad built almost 50 years ago.  They really need to retire it and make a new mold!

But... fantastic job on this one!

• Thanks 1

Can't say anything more than what the others have already. You did a great job for something that fought all the way. These old kit's are hard but you have to give a model like this a go every now and then to remind you how good we have it these days. 

• Thanks 1

You have made a fantastic job well worth all your hard work. You have a point how long can these very old kits go on i was in junior school when this came out ,iam now in my 60s and i need retooling 🤣.I hope airfix will retool this venerable aircraft ,i think they would have a hit on their hands .Keep the faith and keep modelling. 

• Thanks 1

While I agree with the sentiments about retooling the Stirling, let's remember it's not that long ago that Italeri did produce a new tool kit at 1/72nd. I also recall reading that Airfix aren't keen on designing models if there isn't an extant airframe for them to study. 

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

While I agree with the sentiments about retooling the Stirling, let's remember it's not that long ago that Italeri did produce a new tool kit at 1/72nd. I also recall reading that Airfix aren't keen on designing models if there isn't an extant airframe for them to study. 

I understand.

But did I mention the 'bargain' I thought I'd purchased.

Caveat emptor and all that.