Lockheed TR-1A (Italeri 1/48) - build established 2014 + F-15C (Hasegawa 1/48) build est. 2020

Filler

After lots of encouragement in another thread, I'm going to get my GB mojo going again.

For starters, I will be seeing if I can push this veteran of 2014's Under a Tenner GB over the line (albeit a different line). It's approaching its 8th anniversary on the bench!

77-C0-F014-376-F-4-F2-C-A6-F5-8-D03-EB98

In the original GB I think I'd started rescribing and rather predictably that was largely responsible for the wheels coming off. In the mean time I have made bits of progress and this actually isn't that far away now. I also attempted to drop the flaps (which isn't a particularly common state for a resting Dragonlady) and that has caused a fair bit of trouble for me too.

I'll get some better photos taken, but on the to do list is; finishing cleaning up the horrific seams on the flaps and prime (this will be something like the 5th and hopefully final time around) and trying to glue them on at the correct angle of droop. Then it's sticking on the gear-bay doors and more spraying black paint. The Mr Surfacer 1500 black actually looks pretty good already. Finally it'll be decals of which there are thankfully very few and some varnishing. I think the missus is off to play basketball tonight, and if I can get the little un settled down early I might get a bit done this evening.

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Awesome.  I think I had the same wheels come off the Hustler.  "I'll try a rescribe, should be fairly straight forward, right?"  :rofl2:

I know, and we never learn do we?! Guess why the Mirage IIIE in the bottom right is also in this collection of stalled builds...

Edited by Filler
not knowing my left and right
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I've just started on a CF-18 in the Hornet GB because I thought that five unfinished kits in the photo at the top wasn't enough!

I took a day off work yesterday to get started on my Hornet and after staring blankly at lots of kits for a while, I started by filling and sanding a seam in a flap on the TR-1 and then an awful lot of time was spent removing the seamline on the canopy parts of the F-15. This took ages and I wasn't even that happy with it then. But I dipped it in Klear anyway before then going completely mad and deciding that I should drop the outer flaps on the wings of the F-15 (as that is how they are at rest). I employed my recently acquired new super hobby saw from GSI that cost a small fortune and proceeded to cut a very wonky line in the wing. I then I realised that I was about to completely ruin everything I'd done and stopped and got out the sprue glue to try and fix the damage.

5-E9718-E9-D4-ED-4-FB6-8712-7-E6-EB08-A0

A4-B91-D61-BE18-4-B5-B-A9-D8-ADF9825670-

Tonight I'm going to try and keep the momentum going and get an hour or two in. Just not sure which kit to victimise yet.

• Like 3

On 11/18/2021 at 3:54 PM, Filler said:

this veteran of 2014's Under a Tenner GB

This is something very special- there's even been another Under a Tenner GB since then! Sure you'll make the big push through this time

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

Looks like you need to send me that saw for further testing mate, if its a bad one then i can get rid of it for you ;)

Just a service that offer :frantic:

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I think the saw is fine and that it's me that needs getting rid of.

Seriously I think perhaps the problem was that it was too late in the day to attempt cutting. With a largely built plane it was not easy to hold the thing steady. Just hope I can patch it up nicely.

@Mjwomack, I'll give it my best and it's really not far off now. I've said this before but I doubt very much you have much in the way of 48th scale anything now in an under a tenner GB.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Filler said:

doubt very much you have much in the way of 48th scale anything now in an under a tenner GB.

Strange that the Less than a tenner GB never gets adjusted for inflation🤭...now off to Kingkit to have a look, just in case and then I'll be ready for the next one! It's not part of the stash if it was brought for a reason is my justification

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd taken the day off work today to crack on with my Hornet and get this TR-1 finished. Unfortunately the only thing getting a KUTA today is my compressor that has coughed, spluttered and died. I don't think that this kit is destined to ever be finished.

• Sad 1

I suspect that I have slightly overworked mine. I did a pretty lengthy painting session the other night. This morning it just spluttered and would over pressure or produce non at all. And it vibrated like mad.

It’s amazing just how little modelling you can do without the need to paint something, be it a wheel hub, an intake or a bit that will be partially behind an intake or tail plane.

I did superglue my dropped flaps on to the TR-1 (slightly before I wanted to of course). They don’t look too bad, but it’s best not to look too closely either!

DDE00-F06-70-CC-4664-9-AD5-E91973-AF2593

Very nearly there now. Just undercarriage bits, speed brakes and decals (of which there are hardly any).

Must say, I will not rush to make a black jet again; so no SR-71 for me. It’s just so hard to get an interesting finish whilst remaining true. My refs suggest that at the time they were in decent condition and just nicely black. I have used flat black, tyre black and a little semi gloss black, but it still looks a bit uniform. I was intending to belatedly spray some white along a few select panel lines before another go with the blacks. But the compressor pulled the rug from under that and I just want it finished.

I don’t think I’ll build anything with this wingspan again either as it has been a bit of a pain to handle. I’ve a C-130 in the loft in this scale.

• Like 6

• Filler changed the title to Lockheed TR-1A (Italeri 1/48) - build established 2014 + F-15C

Despite my previous attempt at dropping the outer flaps on the F-15 being abandoned as it looked like I’d attacked it with a Flymo, I’m having another go.

Lord knows why as there is a serious possibility that I will ruin the whole build. The repair after last time wasn’t great and I’d not done much. But every time I see a reference photo the dropped flaps keep saying to me “but this is how we are”.

This time I’m going to use a guide in the hope of getting a straight cut and I’m doing a good amount of scoring with a brand new scalpel blade before using the saw.

After the nipper is asleep and I’ve had a bite to eat I will get cutting.

206-E5-F07-0774-49-E9-BA40-E3-BFB3-FB938

• Like 3

Well, I did it. Having just watched the series Chernobyl, I’m reminded of when Dyatlov said of the initial radiation reading that was taken, “not great, not terrible”. Of course it turned out worse than terrible, but hopefully I can make a decent job of this with a bit of tidying up. I did actually intend to bend them, but they broke through before I could get a bend.

13-DA5-E53-5-BA0-4583-A5-FF-D08-ED3-C648

• Like 6

You appear to have made a tidy job of that separation work and it'll be worthwhile when you look at the finished model knowing it's how you want it to be :)  

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Col.. I'm sure it will prove worth the gamble and effort. I just need to go slow and careful about how I clean up and make the new join. On the real thing there is no gap either top or bottom, so I will need to ensure a good straight and clean edge and get the correct angle sanded for reaffixing. 

I must also point out that I have been using the wrong terminology all along as these are not flaps but ailerons.

• Filler changed the title to Lockheed TR-1A (Italeri 1/48) - build established 2014 + F-15C (Hasegawa 1/48) build est. 2020

Tidied up the cuts and rejoined the ailerons to the wings. A thin piece of plastic strip was attached to hide the slight gap at the top. A little more to do but all in all not bad. 7 out of 10.

14-C207-D6-D421-4-FEE-BF29-7320296-A5-FD

CA047599-0370-4-DDF-9695-9551-DABDC366.j

Btw, sorry I’ve stretched out dropping two ailerons over about five posts. 

• Like 4

Finished cleaning up the Eagle wings and am really quite pleased. I also unpacked my new compressor and did a bit of airbrushing this evening. Not the Eagle but I spayed some white on the TR-1 and later more tyre black over that in the hope of getting some subtle variation in all that blackness. Not sure it's right, but it's an improvement.

Probably not easy to see in these phone photos on here.

2863-DDF4-BED2-420-D-A988-6-A2-D475351-A

A1379-C22-CEE5-460-E-A6-EF-BC8-C558311-D

I think I'll call it quits now and get some decals on it (which should take barely five minutes with this model).

• Like 3