1/16 Hobbyboss Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger I

The super thread guys tented me to go there, but its very complicated, and don't want my  hall of  shame threatening that thread! So you can name it The Tiger I Black Sheep mini thread! 🤣
So I'm going to put one more in the bench, since I want to force me do some work, (getting lazier than before!) and try to finish more of my insane stash, before someone puts me in a wood box... there's so many crazy people, I'm only an old one more!
This is a truly huge thing, and certainly will not show up as well as the little ones, but its here so I must try to do the damn thing.

1.jpg

Here are some photos I've taken some time ago, when I was lurking  what's inside...

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Some parts are very well ranged for such a low price...

5.jpg
and lots of track links that really will need huge cleaning

6.jpg
a test fit to have a general idea of the beast.

and comparative with the 1/35 hotchkiss, Tiger and abrams....

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

And that's it for now. Hope I can do something with this one and will appreciate your kind motivation...

Cheers
LM

Edited by Lazy Modeller
edit
  • Like 8

• Lazy Modeller changed the title to 1/16 Hobbyboss Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger I

Love the awesome size of that Tiger upper hull......tis gonna need some serious work to get that even close to accurate though.....just out of interest can we see a top down of the turret....just curious to see the shape

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the kind words...

On 18/11/2021 at 16:04, vytautas said:

Good luck with your build with this monster, it will definitely be interesting to watch

Well that I dunno... better don't expect too much...😀 It will be straight of the box, maybe with some scratch parts, because I hate PE and CA, and I even don't have big stores here, and don't buy online, so its very difficult also, expensive, apart its time consuming, and I have lots of thing to finish, so netter not... I'm waiting only some jerrycans and drums but they're too out of stock for many months...

Cheers

LM

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

apart its time consuming

Oh yes, you must hurry to make a model, and not only this one, otherwise, your shelf will break due to the weight of unopened boxes...

This danger is clearly visible in the seventh photo - the shelf is sagging dangerously, you must urgently reduce the static load!

:rofl:

Vytautas

P.S. There are many beautiful boxes on your shelf. In my opinion, the most interesting of them is ADGZ from Hobby Boss.

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Vytautas

P.S. There are many beautiful boxes on your shelf. In my opinion, the most interesting of them is ADGZ from Hobby Boss.

Please....don't say it to anyone...but I started that one too!!! Well just a little...this is becoming insane!!! I must hide the pz I from Takom...or else...🤣

Cheers

LM

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Please....don't say it to anyone...but I started that one too!!!

Turns out we have a common secret: I’ve started it too. Well, if you promise not to tell anyone, then I will not tell anyone either :rofl:

Vytautas

• Haha 2

I'm beginning with the tracks. Dunno but in big kits like it this way.
10.jpg

There are very deep extracting marks and some flash  in difficult recesses  I want to clean because I don't like it that way.

11.jpg

Time calculation of the task accounting  I'll need maybe around 3 to 4 minutes per link

12.jpg
...will be a day or two for the rest... or three. So plenty of fun. :P

Cheers
LM

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 1:22 PM, Lazy Modeller said:

...will be a day or two for the rest... or three.

Yes, the tracks look great, but two weeks have passed. Two weeks, Paulo! Two weeks have passed, not three days!

1 hour ago, Lazy Modeller said:

After sooomeee sanding... I think i have now much better biceps...

Looks like you enjoy it too much - instead of doing a model, you grow biceps. The modeler does not need biceps, fingers flexors (Flexor digitorum profundus) are much more important. 
Here's a clear idea of what muscles a true modeler needs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexor_digitorum_profundus_muscle

Of course, the sedentary function is still important, everything else is bullshit!

Vytautas

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, vytautas said:

Yes, the tracks look great, but two weeks have passed. Two weeks, Paulo! Two weeks have passed, not three days!

Looks like you enjoy it too much - instead of doing a model, you grow biceps. The modeler does not need biceps, fingers flexors (Flexor digitorum profundus) are much more important. 
Here's a clear idea of what muscles a true modeler needs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexor_digitorum_profundus_muscle

Of course, the sedentary function is still important, everything else is bullshit!

Vytautas

That can be true with 1/35, but with 1/16 you need to use the biceps!  ...Try to sand that damn thing for two days!  :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

That can be true with 1/35, but with 1/16 you need to use the biceps!

Yes, there may be truth in your words. I really forgot that the scale here is 1/16. Sorry for that.

But still, the sedentary function is more important than the biceps.

Vytautas

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, vytautas said:

Yes, there may be truth in your words. I really forgot that the scale here is 1/16. Sorry for that.

But still, the sedentary function is more important than the biceps.

Vytautas

Well... the sedentary function is very well worked here... maybe too much! I'm almost hibernating!  So I found a way to skip the gymn!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cheers

LM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi, Lazy Modeller. 

I will be watching your build with interest. 

Just a friendly word of warning... When you get to putting the suspension arms together, they are VERY difficult to do. I seem to remember the first arm I did took me nearly an hour. After that experience, I super-glued the rest of them in place (life's WAY too short). 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

• Thanks 1

Appreciated your warning very much! Next I'm going to deal with that... but how come you have glued them? The manual says it will work with the springs?😕

And appreciate also your interest in the build!!! 👍

Cheers

LM

I think when you try to build the arms, you might agree with me. You need three hands to do it as the instructions say. Gluing the arms was MUCH quicker, but obviously means the wheels cannot move up and down. 

I don't know whether you intend to put any Zimmerit on your Tiger, but I would really recommend the ATAK resin Zimmerit set for this model. Expensive, yes, but beautifully made and fits the kit nearly perfectly. You can use the Zimmerit tool provided in the kit, but I don't think I have the skills to do a good job with it. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I think when you try to build the arms, you might agree with me. You need three hands to do it as the instructions say. Gluing the arms was MUCH quicker, but obviously means the wheels cannot move up and down. 

I don't know whether you intend to put any Zimmerit on your Tiger, but I would really recommend the ATAK resin Zimmerit set for this model. Expensive, yes, but beautifully made and fits the kit nearly perfectly. You can use the Zimmerit tool provided in the kit, but I don't think I have the skills to do a good job with it. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

Well you got me thinking about that... just painted the arms and maybe tomorrow I'll try to put my big hands on that! Well see, but gluing its nots an option. I have 2 arms from the 1/16 abrams that don't fit in the Wright position due to some bad design, but I'm trying...

About the zimmer, well no this one will not have it. Too Lazy! atm and getting worse day by day, but also because I don't like to see it in the Tiger, mainly at this scale. Also its too much expensive compared to the price of the kit. Its nice OK, but 40 bucks.....

One of these days I will try to get 2 for the king Tiger and pzIV in 1/16 I have in stash, ( that i will never build) but that's it. I usually try to build straight from the box, mainly because that can go crazy in what concerns the price, and also it will increase build time and difficulty, and I like to BUILD (or try), and I don't build, or even try to do exposition models. Don't have the skills and that would kill my pleasure for the build process.

Anyway here we don't have good enough shops, maybe 3 or 4 but with few things, and that can be tricky when you hate to buy online. I like to buy in shops and help local commerce...

Cheer

LM

20.jpg
Already painted the arms, there was no need, but this way its easier to get them all better painted.

21.jpg
And assembled all the springs and bits. I needed the help of some dirty language, well ... allot... but managed to assemble them. Not easy at all because there's a lack of space to work there and my big hands also didn't help. @spruecutter96 you was damn right!!! :rofl:

23.jpg

24.jpg

but they're all working.

25.jpg
So here I have a massive amount of work... holes to fill, letters and so on to get rid of....

Cheers
LM

• Like 2

Hi, Lazy Modeller. 

I remember the first time I tried to assemble the arm "mounting", I must have dropped the metal part on the floor 15 or 20 times! I think this was a big part of the reason that I ended up gluing the assembly in place. I simply didn't have enough patience to do another load of mounts - it would have taken me two weeks in all...

Chris.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Lazy Modeller. 

I remember the first time I tried to assemble the arm "mounting", I must have dropped the metal part on the floor 15 or 20 times! I think this was a big part of the reason that I ended up gluing the assembly in place. I simply didn't have enough patience to do another load of mounts - it would have taken me two weeks in all...

Chris.

Loooool. I also seen that movie!!!!! And some got eaten by the monster of the carpet! I think i loose the same time searching for them than building!:rofl:

Cheers

LM