A thin time oop north

KITCAT

Now some folk seem to holding events in 2022 the picture further up the M1/M6 is getting bleak.

Bolton off

Huddersfax off

Keighley off

All due to astronomical costs and that leaves Cosford where things are getting late for planning and no announcement.

So that leaves Telford November 22.

It's not Up-T'North, but I read a message on here the other day that said the Avon show folks are having to seriously consider whether to have the 2022 show or not, due to this year's show having made a substantial loss. If they decide not to go ahead, that will be a MAJOR loss to the hobby and it will be missed by many. 

Cheers.

Chris.   

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Sad 1

Cosford is off.  Things are looking grim up North. 

As a trader from Manchester this is pretty dire.  Our next IPMS show is Milton Keynes and then a week later the Scottish Nationals in Perth.  After that we're hoping Stoke and Avon can sort something out, otherwise we're all the way around to Telford.  The model railway shows aren't any better, we've got Stafford in February and I need to contact Macclesfield about their show in March, but that's it.

Cheers

• Sad 1

Sign of the times we live in spiralling costs making shows just to expensive to put on sad really for all modelling areas 

Stay Safe 

beefy 

I'll probably be shot for this, but it might help financially if EVERYONE attending a show paid to get in... I think I've only paid once in about 17 years of shows (first time at Nationals), because I was part of a club attending to display. Club members paying the £3-4 entrance fee might make the show more viable, with rising costs being blamed for many cancelled shows.....

I think I'd rather pay to get in, than have nowt to go to.... 

Anyone else agree ??

DaveH

• Like 8

Fear not I hope, we do plan to run the Avon show next year - provisional date in the Diary is August 7th. What our show team will be doing is starting everything much earlier, assessing Trader and punter attendance,  balancing those revenues against our costs so we are better prepared this time. We did order too many tables and chairs this year, we could on reflection have challenged the venue cost as what else where they going to hold of that size etc etc.  Lessons were learned but frankly unless some terrible new strain turns up, with current vaccine status, hospitalisation and death rates being lower ( whilst any are bad), and the fact our show is in the middle of summer, we can actually hope things may be far more like normal in August 2022.  It is possible we may have to consider charging for the use of a table over a standard minimum as per Telford, but that is still very much in the thought process.  What we can't do is make it unprofitable for traders to attend, but also we cannot afford to upset the modelling audience.  It may be that we limit the number of free entries per club, we have done that before and it is not uncommon, but this year I think we just let anyone in for free if they were with a displaying club and that also hit the income.  I'll put more info up here on BM as plans firm up.

• Like 1

Some of the costs for these venues would mean folks having to pay about £40 entrance. That ain't going to happen.

On 11/19/2021 at 9:42 AM, KITCAT said:

Some of the costs for these venues would mean folks having to pay about £40 entrance.

Hi, Kitcat. Could I ask where you got this information from? It seems very obvious that no-one is going to pay 40 quid just to enter a model-show (a lot of people object to paying £4 or 5, so £40 is a real non-starter).  

Hiring the halls for Telford costs something like £60,000 for the weekend, but this is very much the most financially-intensive model show in Europe. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

On 11/18/2021 at 10:29 PM, neilh said:

Fear not I hope, we do plan to run the Avon show next year - provisional date in the Diary is August 7th.

That is excellent news!

After Telford, the Avon show is the one I look forward to the most. I wish your committee the best of luck in organising the show, particularly in keeping the costs at a manageable level. 

Cheers.

Chris. 

21 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Kitcat. Could I ask where you got this information from? It seems very obvious that no-one is going to pay 40 quid just to enter a model-show (a lot of people object to paying £4 or 5, so £40 is a real non-starter).  

Hiring the halls for Telford costs something like £60,000 for the weekend, but this is very much the most financially-intensive model show in Europe. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Why not quote the full statement I did say it wasn't going to happen,  So 200 paying towards a £1200 venue may cover £8000 with some leeway for other costs.

Hard times

KITCAT

Has anyone on here any information on Tyneside, Driffield, Edinburgh or Glasgow shows for 2022? If they’re off that only leaves Perth and White Rose, York for Washington to display at next year ☹️

• Like 1

Evening @BeeKay, not heard anything about the Tyneside show, though I think it may be a little premature, as the forms for the cancelled June 2020 show were issued at Bolton in January 2020. I assume the cancellation of the 2021 show was at the behest of the centre owners. Once again, it will depend on the council if the show is to go ahead. Driffield, this will depend on the management of the venue, and the feelings within the club. The cancel decision was taken early this year, rather than leave folks hanging on. One you've missed is Sword and Lance, which, apart from the long term organiser stepping down, effective immediate, last month, nothing further to report. 

Paul

• Like 1