1/32 Harrier GR1

This is Revell's old 1/32 Harrier.  I corrected the area behind the intakes with Milliput but other that that it's OOB except for the serials number decals.   I frosted the canopy with the rattlecan gloss that I used.  This was a clean as I could get it after hours of sanding and buffing!

XV776/P of 1 Squadron depicted in her shiny, clean, high-gloss glory soon after delivery in 1969 or 1970.   I modelled a weapons fit that I have photos of - two Aden cannons and two Matra rocket pods - probably off to the Holbeach range. I realised at the last minute that the rocket pods should have open rear ends.  At that stage, all I could do was stick on  black decal to represent it. Not a bad kit despite its vintage but the scale it too big for my taste and I have no clue where I will display her.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

David

• Like 29

I strongly advise against putting anything else on top.

If it bothers you enough, you could perhaps very carefully strip the not so gloss coat off with small brushes and cotton buds. It would be a risky and tedious job though.

I'd just say that it was raining at the time.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone.

As to the canopy,  here's the story offered as a cautionary tale.   I opted to spray the whole thing with a rattle can outdoors as I couldn't get it in my small spraybooth.   I used Krylon Acrylic Clear Gloss.

spacer.png

The gloss effect on the paint is amazing.  Too glossy really.   The canopy looked frosted.   I tried a coat of Future then but it didn't help. Then I tried removing the coating with Windex, ammonia, IPA (not the beer) with no luck. I didn't try acetone as by then I was getting really scared of damaging the canopy or surrounding paint.   Yesterday, I spent hours off and on doing many more rounds starting with 1000 grit and then 1500, 3000, 5000 and Novus #2.    It improved things but it's still not great.  I couldn't get much pressure on the areas at the canopy edges due to the canopy shape and their proximity to paint and decals and, to get the windscreen better, I think I'd have to use a rougher grit to make a difference and I decided that was too risky.    So between start and end of sanding/buffing it changed this much.

spacer.png

I brushed some Future on the cleaned up and polished canopy hoping for some magic clarity.  Something happened that I have never seen before: the stuff actually beaded up and didn't cover it properly! So I decided at that point to leave it alone.  As Bertie suggested, I'll claim the beaded Future is rain being swept along the aircraft as it's just passed through a storm.

David

• Like 3

Shame about the canopy, but in all other respects that's what Harriers are meant to look like :wub: lovely job 👍 I recently fixed up one of these old kits as well, nice job with the intakes 👏👏👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely Harrier! Well done indeed!

I have this very kit in the stash to make at some point. I got it for a very good price. I attempted the Tamiya 1:48 kit and it ended up on the shelf of doom.. was my 2nd serious attempt at making a model but the Tamiya is such a poorly fitting kit and I didn't have the modelling skills at the time to make it reasonable.

I'll take note of yours and others canopy problems too! I broke a canopy for my Revell Tempest V and they sent me a new one free of charge. 

I very much liked the stand. It's unusual and makes the model stand out from the crowd. 

Thanks for showing this!

Regards, Andy 

• Thanks 1