Sepecat Jaguar GR.1A. Operation Granby. KittyHawk 1/48

Baldy

Many negative things have been written about the KittyHawk 1/48 Jaguar GR.1/GR.3 kit and I have to report that I have nothing to add to change any of them. With the exception of the Tailerons and the under fuselage strakes which both fitted beautifully, every other component required some sort of adjustment. Anyway, I managed to get the thing together and my assessment was that I would get a better result than using the Airfix kit which was sitting forlornly in my stash. I did however resort to a number of modifications and additions as follows:

Replaced the misshapen pylons with Airfix ones.

Used part of the Neomega cockpit.

Used a Flighpath fuel tank.

Used Flightpath missile rails on Airfix mount.

Used part of SAC main undercarriage legs (experience with the KH Fitter taught me that the legs would sag and distort with time) - embedded in Araldite

Used Reskit exhausts (mainly because they were with the kit when I bought it).

Used Flightpath AN/ALQ-101 and Eduard Phimat pods

Used Eduard CB-87s

Scratchbuilt AN/ARC-164 aerial (shown on boxtop but not included in kit), new larger anti-collision light and replaced a number of aerials and probes with resin replacements.

Added Master nose probe.

Used replacement wheels (Also Reskit I think) which were in the box when I bought it.

I'm sure there are more - it's a dog! Perhaps I should have just built the Airfix kit after all!

I was determined to eradicate the wing joints which was trying, and succeeded reasonably well in closing all of the panels which don't fit too well here and there.

I wanted to model XX725 "Johnny Fartpants" because when I visited Coltishall in June 1991, this was the one I saw most and got the best pictures of - and I am an ex Viz fan tee hee. Decals came from Kits World 48050 and were excellent but I couldn't quite get the artwork to sit at quite the right angle - probably because the panels and panel lines are not quite in the correct places? 

After a few trials with various mixes and manufacturers attempts at the ARTF Desert Sand I settled on the Mil Spec version, lightened a little. Weathering was with oils.

Anyway - it was a struggle and I'm glad it's finished. We desperately need a new Jag kit and the way things are going it won't be by the woeful Airfix thankfully so come on ICM or Modelsvit - I'll buy a few for sure!

Cheers

Malcolm

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally one of my shots of the real thing some 3 Months after returning.....

spacer.png

• Like 47

Congrats Baldy !!

Great Jag indeed...

Well, I'll not start mine tomorrow...

KH kits are unusual but my F-94C was a dog too !!

Whatever, you win and finely !!

Sincerely.

CC

( I agree for a new Airfix Jaguar but let them work on a 1/48 Scimitar first....)

• Haha 2

What a fantastic looking Jaguar! You have clearly put much effort into this one and the result is superb.

I would like a decent 1/48 Jaguar (and a decent 1/72), but am currently holding back on obtaining either of the two releases you mention. If your "wish" for ICM or Modelsvit happens, i'll be in the queue with you!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Having watched & cajoled one of my ATC cadets struggling with one for the wing modelling competition I feel your pain. I think you should put turd polisher on your CV as you've done such a fantastic job with a dog of a kit.

Pete

• Haha 1

Wow- that is one beautiful Jaguar and a real testament to your determination to build an accurate model from what sounds like a real pig! Weathering and paintwork looks like the real article. It's such a nasty-looking weenie cooker, I, too wish we could get a state of the art model in either scale...Special Hobby might be a possible candidate for a new-tool in 1/72- maybe when they finish their Mirage III series?

Mike

• Thanks 1

I've always loved the looks of the Sepecat Jaguar.

The desert tan (or whatever it's really called) colour scheme really suits it too.

A most excellent build and very gratifying to your hard work!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

• Thanks 1