Mirage IIIC

This is what a Luftwaffe Mirage IIIC could have looked if at the beginning of the sixties the Generalinspekteur der Luftwaffe Günther Rall (WWII ace) and German defence minister Franz Josef Strauss would not have accepted the generousity of the Lockheed Company.Without the intervention of Lockheed the Mirage III would have been chosen as standard Nato fighter.This is the Hobbyboss 1/48 kit in JG71 Richthofen markings.The decals come from a Revell of Germany Canadair Sabre,F-104G,Eurofighter and from a Daco sheet.

Saluti

Giampiero

imgp86547jji0.jpg

imgp8658qpj2n.jpg

imgp86593vji3.jpg

• Like 33
  • Haha 2

Oooohhhh! - Now THAT's a beaut'! :heart:

I honestly didn't know the Mirage III was a contender (or I thought I knew but forgot?:hmmm: ) - I always asumed the alternative to the F-104 was either the Lightning F.6 or the F-105 but your model sure shows what could have been! :goodjob:

So the competition was between the F-104, Lightning F.6, the F-105 and I seem to remember that the F-102 was also in the mix? :hmmm:

Maybe it's another thing I seem to remember but actually don't? :innocent: (Don't worry - you may get there too! :winkgrin:)

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Looks great, very convincing! An excellent looking model. 

Interesting point about possibly losing fewer crews if they’d flown the Mirage. It’s sad how many of the Luftwaffe lads paid the ultimate price for freedom. From an article I read it said the F-104 just wasn’t really suited to the low level role in claggy European weather. I imagine they’d have found similar with the Lightning? That said, I have no idea what the Mirage III accident rate was.

15 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Not sure that either Germans or Italians would have ever bought a French fighter, but then I have been wrong before.

Excellent WHIF rendition Gianpi.

Nobody would have put money on Australia buying a French fighter either.🤣🤣

DennisTheBear

• Haha 1