Italeri (Platz) X-47B

This is an out-of-the-box build of the Italeri boxing of the Platz X-47B UCAS.  This is a really nice kit to work on, with great surface detail and it goes together nicely: no filler here!  There are some well-thought touches in the design of the kit that make it an easy build (for example, the jet exhaust is just a push-fit) and just a few mould release marks that need filling. I couldn’t find confirmation that the X-47B ever flew with weapons but there are a couple of nice GBU-31 JDAMs that fill the large and quite plain weapon bays well, so I used them.  The colour scheme is Ammo MiG F36270 over a dark grey primer base with a light Paynes Grey wash.  The decals seemed quite thick but behaved well.  It certainly looks different on the shelf!

Chris

resized_177fd133-f9cd-4d7f-97b7-cb475640

resized_2112ff18-eb76-4b55-aeaf-dfcde0bf

resized_b9048fc1-f7ca-4a13-8582-d2d8d67b

resized_119b8b32-6383-4b2f-819c-2d299985

resized_76333620-de8e-4285-a098-11cfd094

resized_7898de9a-60ca-40c2-b67b-4795ffa1

resized_f3450931-aa9a-4f6e-8e82-9f4e451d

resized_065e150d-ab0a-41d2-9e4b-2db5c4f2

resized_fe213772-40f9-4cca-9da0-62d6bf9b

resized_7532f4f1-50d8-4140-bd56-cbe122e3

resized_8071ecba-04f1-4901-b25c-f33588de

• Like 28

21 hours ago, RMCS said:

Lovley work 

8 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Intriguing! Well built model of something I've never seen before. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

I've never seen one of these modeled before either and I think it looks cool as hell (wait. that can't be right...it looks "hot as hell"!).  :D  I really like how that looks! :thumbsup:

Thanks gents, I really appreciate your kind comments. 

There were only two X-47B demonstrators, which completed a series of world firsts before the end of the programme (or program, I guess!)  "In February 2016 the US Navy has decided to morph the X-47B from a surveillance and strike aircraft into a reconnaissance and aerial refuelling drone with "limited strike capability" (Wikipedia).  I do think it looks cool though, and it's a really nice kit if you fancy something a bit different

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 7:06 PM, dnl42 said:

Nice!

19 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

That's superb. Really unique and cool looking model and a great result from all your hard work. I especially like the wing fold option you've chosen

18 hours ago, exdraken said:

A very dangerously looking drone!

Shiverrrrr.....

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

That is great, never have built a drone before but if I ever build in the future did like to start with this one. Cheers

Thank you all for your very kind comments!

I hadn't built a drone/UCAS before either but this was a really enjoyable kit to build, and looks cool with the folded wings I think

It's bigger than you might imagine too; even with wings folded it's still about the span of an F-4 Phantom

You forgot the canopy.      :doh:

Really nice job on this one. The wing fold makes for a more visually exciting display, although you kind of lose the overall planform shape. No matter, she's a beaut!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

You forgot the canopy.      :doh:

Really nice job on this one. The wing fold makes for a more visually exciting display, although you kind of lose the overall planform shape. No matter, she's a beaut!

Cheers,

Bill

1 minute ago, moondrome said:

Very nice build and paint job 👍 this aircraft looks like a folded paper origami 😁

Thank you both!

You are right Bill, no canopy to mask was a real bonus although masking the wheel and weapon bays took a fair while. 

I like the 'origami' comparison @moondrome, very apt!

Chris

• Like 1