UK F-35 down in Med. Pilot rescued and safe

bentwaters81tfw

12 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

The intake cover story was mentioned on E-Goat some days before the Sun picked up on it, not that that necessarily makes it more likely to be right. 

I did hear about it way before the media picked it up, not from an online source. It's accurate as far as I know

• Like 1

So are we to believe that a red inlet cover was inadvertently left in place and no one caught it before engine run up and that it was sucked into the engine causing the jet to crash and afterwards was seen floating in the sea? Yeah, not buying that I'm afraid.:fraidnot:

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

First rule of journalism : "Never let inconvenient facts get in the way of a good story"

What would be the inconvenient fact here?

17 minutes ago, Nachtwulf said:

So are we to believe that a red inlet cover was inadvertently left in place and no one caught it before engine run up and that it was sucked into the engine causing the jet to crash and afterwards was seen floating in the sea? Yeah, not buying that I'm afraid.:fraidnot:

Who talked about an engine inlet cover?

Some cover.. some sensor cover that only gets false info when in flight?

No idea, let's see!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I did hear about it way before the media picked it up, not from an online source. It's accurate as far as I know

Yep, not far off the mark as far as I know, that is also the story in UKDJ. 24/11.

Darryl 

9 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

The trouble with speculation is that it is just that. 

At the moment, there is no official report or anything to go on, so any assertion is no more than conjecture.

That said, mechanical failure (IMO) is unlikely, but FOD is ever-present and (can be) hard to pickup.

What it does highlight are the dangers of operating at sea  and the fact that risks are greatly increased when operating on board. Unfortunately, these losses are to be expected. Fortunately, these losses are now far more survivable.

• Like 2

The cause is already known, the MAA investigation will be short, but the error chain will inevitably leak until MOD has decided how it will frame the public presentation.

Any incident involving the F-35 will be scrutinised unfairly due to the disinformatsiya machine directed towards it, and the gleeful satisfaction of our enemies that another one has been removed from service. Why help them win this information war? We have a clear advantage in the F-35, it should be celebrated rather than denigrated 😡

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Alan P said:

The cause is already known, the MAA investigation will be short, but the error chain will inevitably leak until MOD has decided how it will frame the public presentation.

Any incident involving the F-35 will be scrutinised unfairly due to the disinformatsiya machine directed towards it, and the gleeful satisfaction of our enemies that another one has been removed from service. Why help them win this information war? We have a clear advantage in the F-35, it should be celebrated rather than denigrated 😡

Unfortunately if its something as simple as it seems then the doubters will gleefully trot it out, nothing you can do about that,

• Like 1

Just now, Julien said:

Unfortunately if its something as simple as it seems then the doubters will gleefully trot it out, nothing you can do about that,

True. I blame society 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Julien said:

But then,  if it is something that simple, it is also not too much of a concern either :thumbsup:

bigger RBFs only one option!

I guess some walkaround procedural change can be expected though...at least on the ship!

Aborting a takeoff in the middle of it is definitely complicated if you only have so little runway ahead!

12 minutes ago, exdraken said:

But then,  if it is something that simple, it is also not too much of a concern either :thumbsup:

bigger RBFs only one option!

I guess some walkaround procedural change can be expected though...at least on the ship!

Aborting a takeoff in the middle of it is definitely complicated if you only have so little runway ahead!

Blimey you lot better start a bow tie event 🤣🤣🤣🤣thats not a fabric bow tie, for those who dont know check an all knowing electrical device😁

God knows where ths came from but it’s not good. Someone leaked it and will probably having a chat without coffee soon.

Pretty sure the MOD won’t to impressed that it’s made out to the public but here it is. 

https://twitter.com/CapHornier_/status/1465355738327441418?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1465355738327441418|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

God knows where ths came from but it’s not good. Someone leaked it and will probably having a chat without coffee soon.

Pretty sure the MOD won’t to impressed that it’s made out to the public but here it is. 

https://twitter.com/CapHornier_/status/1465355738327441418?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1465355738327441418|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

Definitely not very fast on the ramp...

Somehow does not contradict previous statements!

The red cover could be the parashute though.

Really wonder why stopping was no option...

Can you even call this a crash? A takeoff accident maybe. But "airborne" is something else!!

• Like 1

If that video is genuine then it looks like the pilot was very lucky the chute did get caught on the ship otherwise it looks like it could have run over them. Aircraft can be replaced, but not the squashy bit inside.

• Like 3

The video is now on BBC News.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59470276

Not very clear but to me it looks like the pilot realises something is wrong and ejects while the aircraft is just leaving the ski jump.  You don’t see the aircraft, looks like it just drops off the end of the ramp, and then you see what must be the pilot and parachute coming down.

The aircraft looks to be going very slowly and the pilot makes the decision that there is not enough ground speed for take off but too late to stop so punches out.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Dads203 said:

If that is a genuine piece of footage  my question is why was the 'barn door' behind the cockpit  open during a standard  take off run up the ramp???

16 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Too slow to take off but,  too late/too fast to stop?

I don't know the speed at which an F-35 hits the ramp.

In any case, I'm not going to second guess a pilot facing an emergency and, having to make a split second life or death decision.

John.

Maybe he was already on the brakes....but did not manage to stop...

9 minutes ago, Paul J said:

If that is a genuine piece of footage  my question is why was the 'barn door' behind the cockpit  open during a standard  take off run up the ramp???

The "barn doors" are up because this is Short Take Off mode  using the not fully tilted main nozzle and the lift fan together in order to achieve max take off performance

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, exdraken said:

Maybe he was already on the brakes....but did not manage to stop...

The "barn doors" are up because this is Short Take Off mode  using the not fully tilted main nozzle and the lift fan together in order to achieve max take off performance

Sounds a stupid way of taking off with things sticking up and sticking out and pointing downwards affecting airflow over the airframe to assist conventional take off!!! To me it seems to do the opposite to normal take off procedures. Crazy. Bring back proper  Sea Harriers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Sounds a stupid way of taking off with things sticking up and sticking out and pointing downwards affecting airflow over the airframe to assist conventional take off!!! To me it seems to do the opposite to normal take off procedures. Crazy. Bring back proper  Sea Harriers.

Wda54DrhwoKFaGPGKqFYcH-1200-80.jpg

Seems to work... but indeed looks counter-intuitive :D

Thousands of take-offs were successfully performed through this deployment alone successfully!

• Like 3