UK F-35 down in Med. Pilot rescued and safe

bentwaters81tfw

21 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Not so much as you thought.

IMG_9515-L.jpg

Duncan B

possible future use as a ground instruction airframe?

Right chaps. Lesson 1. Before flight remove  all these red plastic things and tags

:D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

Right chaps. Lesson 1. Before flight remove  all these red plastic things and tags

Any more on this? 

Isn't it just just a bit of idle gossip really?

I'd be very surprised if this turned out to be the cause. Very unlikely that nobody noticed a big red cover/tag. There are so many checks and double checks carried out to catch this sort of thing. Ground crew, plane captain, pilot, senior maintenance rating, duty pilot, engineering officer, aircraft handlers, firesuitman etc. All standing around watching the start up, power checks etc etc etc. 

Nobody noticed?

It might be fun to take the pee (luckily no one was hurt) but I'll eat my hat if it's true. ( a small tasty one :unsure: )

Disclaimer; I know it has happened in the past (thereby completely undermining myself I know) but I'd still be surprised on this occasion.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

P.S. Will shadowy figures in black suits be showing up at my door now that I've seen that photo?

Quite likely. 

Or at least at the door of the owner of that camera/phone.

I'm not seeing a tag anywhere, or do you mean the left gear leg as we look at the photo?  I thought that was shackles that run to the chains that are holding it down? :nerd:

It must have been a pretty soft landing if it's that close to intact.  Have I missed the description of the crash along the way, or is it still under wraps? :hmmm:

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm not seeing a tag anywhere, or do you mean the left gear leg as we look at the photo?  I thought that was shackles that run to the chains that are holding it down? :nerd:

It must have been a pretty soft landing if it's that close to intact.  Have I missed the description of the crash along the way, or is it still under wraps? :hmmm:

Hi Mike, the Remove Before Flight was, I understand, a big cover left on. The aircraft accelerated slowly down the deck, staggered up the ski-jump at the end of the deck, then the pilot banged out as the aircraft fell off the front of the ship and splashed/belly-flopped into the water at minimal speed.

Here's a link to picture of an F-35 with it's engine intake covers fitted:

http://aircraftcovers.com/F35#19

Fairly hard to miss them, I should think!

I've not seen any pictures of a cover on the upper fuselage intake for the lift fan, but as these have their own door's I suspect they don't have ground handling blanks/covers. 

I rest my case B)

39 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Here's a link to picture of an F-35 with it's engine intake covers fitted:

http://aircraftcovers.com/F35#19

Fairly hard to miss them, I should think!

I've not seen any pictures of a cover on the upper fuselage intake for the lift fan, but as these have their own door's I suspect they don't have ground handling blanks/covers. 

I rest my case B)

1 Link doesn't work 

2 i have it on good authority that there was a blank left in situ.

3 only time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

staggered up the ski-jump at the end of the deck, then the pilot banged out

That's putting it mildly! It barely made it up! :owww: It probably would have been better if it had rolled back TBH, but then we're looking at where it goes and what it sets on fire. :frantic:  I'd have expected the ship to run it over, as don't they usually run downwind at a fair lick to give the aircraft more wind over its wings on the way out?  Must have got lucky, as the repair bill would be pretty high for a ship running over a sinking F-35 :S

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tweeky said:

Me too. But that's only half right...

I wish I could say more, because the general incredulity is excruciating to read when you know what happened. You will honestly feel sorry for the blokes when it comes out 😔

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Me too. But that's only half right...

I wish I could say more, because the general incredulity is excruciating to read when you know what happened. But you know how it is.

My original post was of course made in jest and not to be taken seriously. The report on the accident will no doubt reveal all in due course. You can take the press reports with a shovel of salt. 

The good news was pilot safe and now airframe recovered and presumably of some future use as well as removed from prying eyes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tweeky said:

1 Link doesn't work 

3 only time will tell.

Hi @tweeky thanks for the feedback.

1. Works fine for me (but I'll post a picture Credit USAF, so I should be safe).

2. This is what I mean by gossip. I don't mean to be offensive, so I hope you wont be offended, but it's just hearsay. I was asking if anything official had been released yet. If this was the case then surely the post-mortem would be done and dusted fairly swiftly, and it would be public knowledge.

3. It will indeed (and I'll eat my hat)

12935(1)

I expect that the people involved know how many impact G's it took when it hit the water and what that means for the main components, but I am thinking mainly of saltwater corrosion/damage, especially the bits that may not be so easy to get to or take apart.

F-22 rebuild

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43613/incredible-images-of-stripped-down-f-22-raptor-being-rebuilt-after-belly-landing

³ be very surprised if this turned out to be the cause. Very unlikely that nobody noticed a big red cover/tag

So it goes the blank was removed and kinda left in the intake whilst taking other blanks off .....then another jet launched and blew it down the intake hence why it was mussed.

Although why it wasnt counted who knows.

Classic swiss cheese .....failure to follow process .....if indeed there was a process..we will see

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mike said:

That's putting it mildly! It barely made it up! :owww: It probably would have been better if it had rolled back TBH, but then we're looking at where it goes and what it sets on fire. :frantic:  I'd have expected the ship to run it over, as don't they usually run downwind at a fair lick to give the aircraft more wind over its wings on the way out?  Must have got lucky, as the repair bill would be pretty high for a ship running over a sinking F-35 :S

Angled flight deck Mike ...not much but enough

On 1/20/2022 at 6:52 PM, JagRigger said:

It’s been in the Oggin  - it’s CAT 5

Absolutely, seawater and electronics, aluminium and all the rest don’t play nicely together. It’s capoot and only fit for the fire dump.

Duncan B

• Like 1