UK F-35 down in Med. Pilot rescued and safe

bentwaters81tfw

22 minutes ago, tweeky said:

Reports here in the UK say "Shattered in to many pieces"

When they told me there was an SSN 'sitting on the wreck', I don't know they meant literally 😂

1 hour ago, tweeky said:

You could be totally right... I misread the article.

Though I'm not sure how an airframe falling (at nearly 0 speed) into the water would shatter into many pieces. 

1 hour ago, RaceAddict said:

Though I'm not sure how an airframe falling (at nearly 0 speed) into the water would shatter into many pieces. 

Lightweight alloy and low tensile composites enclosing air spaces generally don't play well together with high pressures at depth. The thing got crushed like a coke can 😒

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Alan P said:

Lightweight alloy and low tensile composites enclosing air spaces generally don't play well together with high pressures at depth. The thing got crushed like a coke can 😒

Plus we don't know how subtle the recovery was either. If the object of the exercise is to recover it as quickly as possible then there wouldn't be any time to build a lifting frame (like was used to recover the Wellington from Loch Ness for example) or dedicated 'basket'. Due to the depth they most likely used a grabber and simply dragged it up in chunks with an ROV picking up the smaller pieces and sticking them into work baskets. I don't know what specific Company/vessel was used for the recovery (yet) but I do know it was a chartered subsea construction type vessel.

Duncan B

• Like 1

On 30/11/2021 at 10:12, exdraken said:

Wda54DrhwoKFaGPGKqFYcH-1200-80.jpg

Seems to work... but indeed looks counter-intuitive :D

Thousands of take-offs were successfully performed through this deployment alone successfully!

The amount of lift generated through the lift fan minimalises any resistance created by the open fan lift door.

On 01/12/2021 at 09:20, bentwaters81tfw said:

According to the Daily Fail, the airframe has been 'found'.

I didn't bother to read any of the garbage other than that.

It has been successfully recovered in a joint UK/US/Italian effort.

6 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

It has been successfully recovered in a joint UK/US/Italian effort.

It was recovered using an Italian flagged civilian Offshore Support Vessel apparently. I know the vessel and have worked on it when it was under a Norwegian flag.

Duncan B

• Like 4

"Though I'm not sure how an airframe falling (at nearly 0 speed) into the water would shatter into many pieces"

jet engines run hot as normal but one with a blocked intake it run hotter then dump it in the med at say 15-18 deg sea temp it wont do it any good.

4 hours ago, tweeky said:

"Though I'm not sure how an airframe falling (at nearly 0 speed) into the water would shatter into many pieces"

jet engines run hot as normal but one with a blocked intake it run hotter then dump it in the med at say 15-18 deg sea temp it wont do it any good.

It will not fly again... that is quite clear..... ;)

Hope we will get pics soon... ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2021 at 10:01 PM, Alan P said:

The thing got crushed like a coke can 😒

Actually I think you might be surprised how intact it could turn out to be. I am guessing there might be a few panels missing and depending on how it arrived back on deck it might have lost its fins. That's just my guess of course  :whistle:

Duncan B

23 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Bit like that F-14 that ran off a carrier deck all those years ago.

It was still a new aircraft then, hence the rush to retrieve it.

I recall seeing the pictures of the wreck being hauled aboard. Crushed beyond recognition, about the only thing indicating it was an aeroplane was an undercarriage leg and wheel.

John

That was Bu.No. 159588, that carried a Phoenix missile that was never recovered.

Really though the wreck was not much crushed, and most of the main structure was in its place. It's the aircraft shown in the picture at the top of this page

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/mats/f14-history-crash.htm

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

That was Bu.No. 159588, that carried a Phoenix missile that was never recovered.

The Phoenix missile was recovered. This link (which was posted in another thread) is a more detailed explanation of the recovery efforts.

https://fly.historicwings.com/2012/09/tomcat-deep/

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slight thread drift but still F-35 related, does anyone have any idea what the next RAF F-35 squadron will be? That’s assuming we’ll order enough for another squadron!

It would be great to see a famous old fighter squadron reactivated, any of 23, 43, 56, 74, 111 … for example. Or it could be a FAA unit perhaps, 800 or 801 NAS? …

I guess whoever it is they’ll have no unit markings though unfortunately. 

45 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Slight thread drift but still F-35 related, does anyone have any idea what the next RAF F-35 squadron will be? That’s assuming we’ll order enough for another squadron!

It would be great to see a famous old fighter squadron reactivated, any of 23, 43, 56, 74, 111 … for example. Or it could be a FAA unit perhaps, 800 or 801 NAS? …

I guess whoever it is they’ll have no unit markings though unfortunately. 

801 obviously 🙄 

16 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Would be nice if they had Royal Navy titles on the fuselage to differentiate them from the RAF ones.

It is my understanding that the Lightning Force will not carry individual squadron markings but just the Lightning marking on the tail, the UK aircraft recently deployed with CSG21 didnt even have the "Q" tail marking denoting HMS Queen Elizabeth, something to do with the special radar absorbing paint required.

It seems that unit heritage and "Esprit d'Corps" is a thing of the past in the modern UK military.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

It is my understanding that the Lightning Force will not carry individual squadron markings but just the Lightning marking on the tail, the UK aircraft recently deployed with CSG21 didnt even have the "Q" tail marking denoting HMS Queen Elizabeth, something to do with the special radar absorbing paint required.

It seems that unit heritage and "Esprit d'Corps" is a thing of the past in the modern UK military.

846...."always threatening"......weekend work ....theres your esprit d'corp 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 7:22 PM, RaceAddict said:

On 12/8/2021 at 8:11 PM, tweeky said:

On 12/8/2021 at 9:32 PM, RaceAddict said:

You could be totally right... I misread the article.

On 12/8/2021 at 10:01 PM, Alan P said:

Not so much as you thought.

IMG_9515-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 6