UK F-35 down in Med. Pilot rescued and safe

bentwaters81tfw

• bentwaters81tfw changed the title to UK F-35 down in Med. Pilot rescued and safe

Ouch.  That's gotta be hurting the budget.  I'd imagine they'll bring the aircraft us ASAP before anyone else can grab hold of it, so I hope it's not in deep water for their sakes.  I suppose it'll also depend on how hard it hit the water too.  A nose dive might end up with a jigsaw to recover rather than an aircraft.  I hope they don't take it out of the pilot's salary :owww:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's gotta be hurting the budget

Only if they are gonna replace it. I assume some attrition is factored in...

Glad the pilot is OK. Seems to have been just of Egypt/after leaving Suez...according to the map in the daily mail link.

Is this international waters there already

Glad the pilot escaped obviously pretty much unscathed.

This line seems to suggest the aircraft is still in one piece:

"The next-generation RAF F35 jet is understood to still be in the sea and has yet to be recovered after the crash at 10am this morning."

57 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

They say "£100m" 3 times in the first page view of the article. 🙄

Did the UK actually pay that, or are they inflating the price? Currently the F-35 is about $78m USD.

I have of course no idea about this specific aircraft but the F-35B and C models are the more expensive variants. Is 78m including engine and equipment?

then the jets got cheaper due to large orders and scaling effects. The first ones were even more expensive!

then you could also factor in UK development costs that could be distributed/ broken down to individual jets...

some recent articles covering price:

~ 80m$ for the F-35A models

https://www.airforcemag.com/steady-f-35-price-reductions-likely-at-an-end/

https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2020/07/23/the-price-of-the-f-35-has-been-falling-but-it-could-hit-a-wall-soon/

BUT:

also read this about flyaway cost/ sticker price and actual combat ready airplane costs:

https://www.pogo.org/analysis/2020/10/selective-arithmetic-to-hide-the-f-35s-true-costs/

quite revealing (although for sure also a bit biased :D )

UK specific article:

from last year, closer to the £100m ($115m)

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/latest-british-f-35b-cost-sees-24-reduction-from-first-orders/

so all in all, this loss was certainly expensive. if a replacement Lightning could be had cheaper is another story!

looking forward to hear about the accident's cause!

Lucky to still have the pilot in a debriefable state, salvaging the flight data will be the priority next.

Glad nobody was killed, but very interested in the ultimate cause of the loss. Cost aside, this is not a good thing 🤔

18 minutes ago, Slater said:

In the history of the F-35 in service, I don't think all that many have been lost. Maybe less than 10?

This latest incident make 5 crashes in total (1 JASDF pilot lost) plus one engine fire while on the ground.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Slater said:

In the history of the F-35 in service, I don't think all that many have been lost. Maybe less than 10?

At least 3 B models, although one collided with its KC-130 tanker.

Several A models, one by Japan that crashed into the sea(pilot lost spacial awareness if I remember correctly) and at least 1 USAF landing accident, were the HMI was part blamed, next to the pilot

That's it out of my head...

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

At least 3 B models, although one collided with its KC-130 tanker.

Several A models, one by Japan that crashed into the sea(pilot lost spacial awareness if I remember correctly) and at least 1 USAF landing accident, were the HMI was part blamed, next to the pilot

That's it out of my head...

Yea don't forget the one where the gun blew up and caused enough damage to retire the airframe. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235091081-f-35-shoots-itself/

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39920/a-marine-f-35b-fighter-jet-accidentally-shot-itself-with-its-own-gun-pod

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It is good that the pilot is safe. Aircraft can be replaced a lot easier than people. Now that $78M, did that include leather seats and stereo? Sorry, I couldn't help myself - I've just recently bought a car and that's what came to mind when I read about sticker price. I realise there's nothing funny about a crash and the loss of an expensive aeroplane. I doubt the pilot, safe though he is, thought it was very funny either. From what I've read, ejections are not fun under any circumstances.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Ouch😱

Just out of curiosity, what was it? I do hope the pilot wasn't on board when it crashed.

John

Jaguar XZ373. The pilot lost control over the Adriatic and ejected. One of several 'jigsaws' I got to help with - very interesting work

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/55338

• Like 3

On 11/18/2021 at 12:22 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yea don't forget the one where the gun blew up and caused enough damage to retire the airframe. 

There have been five airframe losses since entry into service. That wasn't one of them.

• Like 1

What an excellent blog Alan P ....couldnt agree more ....TBH I can only think of a handful of incidents that have written of aircraft ....a variety of reasons which on one occasion resulted in the death of crew and passengers.

That one was particularly sad and unfortunate.

People moan about the MAA but I think since its inception around 10 years ago it has definately resulted in a far lower incident rate due to mechanical or human error.

I do wonder about how sim v actual flying has also contributed I know that one airframe type is at 60:40 actual/ sim with the the aspiration to turn this the otherway round.Can only imagine that sims assist greatly to make actual flight safer by being near realistic and safely being able to experience complex snd difficult situations which would difficult or impossible to perform for real in real time.

Ultimately aircrew safety and survivability is improved and the comercial mandrins have less beans to count.

BZ to the SAR crew also ....i believe it was 845NAS .TBC

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I think however, the key words here are "according to  UK media outlet, The Sun"?

🤔😉

John

True true....

But you mean they were confusing the pilot's dinghy or parachute with the "cover"?

Who knows!

But the point of continuing operations are a strong indicator that the root cause was quickly clear.. at least to the responsibles .   

Looking forward to hearing from more credible sources as well!

• Like 1