Group builds - putting your name down, voting and then participating, or rather not.

Filler

I was troubled a little bit by the 2022 Bunfight and just wanted to share my troubles and hear the thoughts of others.

I really like group builds. I think they're a great idea and a brilliant way of providing inspiration to build a particular subject and I like how they provide encouragement from other modellers to make progress. However, despite this I found myself feeling a degree of confliction about voting in the bunfight and for similar reasons, I rarely ever put my name down on any prospective group build subjects no matter how appealing they are to me.

I found it difficult to vote because I know hand on heart that when the time for any group build comes around, there's a very good chance I will not be able to participate (largely because I know I will not have the time available to build a model in the timeframe). So why should I try to influence something for my benefit when I quite likely won't make use of it?

I've started out in about half a dozen group builds in the past and I have yet to even nearly complete a single one. And to be pretty honest, it looks like I might not be alone in that. It strikes me that a lot of group build entries stall very early on. 

Despite my initial reticence, I did vote and since then I have come close a few times to posting in various threads that I'd like to join and build a something or other, but each time before hitting submit post I have thought to myself, 'who am I kidding?'.

I was even about to enter the KUTA GB last night and took the below photo.

9370909-C-96-B6-49-C8-970-A-125915-ED0-F

CH-53 from 2020's Helicopter / Autogyro / STOVL GB

F-15 from 2020's Interceptors GB

F-16 from 2017's F-16 Fighting Falcon STGB

TR-1 from 2014's Less Than a Tenner GB (try entering that GB with a 1/48 scale kit in 2022!)

I also have a Jet Provost from 2013's Training Types GB and another F-15 from 2013's F-15 STGB that are so barely started you could sell the kits as new.

Not entirely sure what my point is here, or even if there is one beyond just feeling that by voting for something I might not partake in I might be depriving someone who will produce a model of their preferred group build.

Sorry this was a bit rambly, but I really want to get involved in GB's but feel bad about false promises etc.

• Like 8

Don't sweat it.  Life happens, and I'm sure you are like the rest of us being unable to tell the future.  12-18 months out is impossible to know what it going to be going on in life.  I do get what you are saying though, and I've been throttling back on throwing my names down on lists unless it's something that I really fancy doing.  I'll usually have some models lined up for GBs, but like you I frequently don't have the time to finish (or in some cases even start)...especially in the first half of the year.  I join in when I can, and when I can't I'll just follow builds in the GBs that I wish I was in.  One thing to keep in mind too, sometimes your one vote of support for a build you aren't sure you are going to be able to make may be the one vote that's needed to push a GB through for the enjoyment of dozens more.  As long is it's something you would like to participate in if you happen to have the time, there is no harm in that.

The end of the day it's all about picking up some plastic and having a little fun (or temporary escape from reality) when you can.  :cheers:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Filler said:

Thanks for adding some perspective Chris. Probably am a bit daft worrying about such a thing.

It's all good mate.  That's why we all hang out in the GB area, it's all about hanging with the people.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Filler said:

I found it difficult to vote because I know hand on heart that when the time for any group build comes around, there's a very good chance I will not be able to participate (largely because I know I will not have the time available to build a model in the timeframe). So why should I try to influence something for my benefit when I quite likely won't make use of it?

I say vote even if you don't participate. By voting and getting it through the bunfight you at the bare minimum can enjoy watching and following all of the builds. 

9 hours ago, Filler said:

I've started out in about half a dozen group builds in the past and I have yet to even nearly complete a single one. And to be pretty honest, it looks like I might not be alone in that. It strikes me that a lot of group build entries stall very early on. 

Ive said it before in builds that Ive hosted/co-hosted. Plastic doesn't expire, and its all about the overall fun. Even if you only get 10% of a kit done did you have fun, did you enjoy the build(s). Then its all worth it in the end. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

Hi @Filler

Please don't stress over not finishing a GB, there's always the KUTA GB, which most of us on here could participate in all year round and still not clear all our unfinished builds !

If getting something finished and in the Gallery within the GB timetable will give your self confidence a lift, and boost the mojo, just choose a simpler kit, easier paint / decal option.

Alternatively next year we are running 2 classic GBs, one for Matchbox the other Revell which last for virtually 6 months each.

I'm hosting the Matchbox one, you are very welcome to join and I promise lots of support and encouragement along the way

Cheers Pat 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Please don't stress over not finishing a GB, there's always the KUTA GB, which most of us on here could participate in all year round and still not clear all our unfinished builds !

Truths.  :rofl2:

• Like 2

@Filler, you raise some good points and I’m definitely guilty of starting a GB thread only to get caught up in every day life or just simply lose interest in the subject altogether. What I can say is a few years back BM GB’s did actually help me overcome my inability to finish a model and although my completion rate is still not where I’d like it to be, I now have the confidence to push through a build when things tend to go pear shaped. Like others have suggested, just enjoy it for what it is and perhaps tackle a simple subject that won’t bog you down. Having a build in the GB Gallery is very rewarding and will help change your current outlook on voting, participating and ultimately finishing. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Filler said:

Thanks for adding some perspective Chris. Probably am a bit daft worrying about such a thing.

To paraphrase Spartacus et al

“I am a bit daft!”  

And remember what Bobby McFerrin sang

“Don’t worry be Happy!”  

• Like 4

Don't worry about it! We're all just here to have a bit of fun and the GBs make things a bit more social, it's not about what you start and whether you finish on time but whether you enjoyed your build and everyone else's along the way.

I know I put my name down for way more GB proposals than I can vote for - the way I see it, I'm not committing to vote for them, I'm just saying that it's a GB I'd like to participate in if it ends up in the calendar - and I vote for GBs that I don't end up participating in, because I can never build everything I want to, plans change, life gets in the way and so on. We should all give ourselves a bit of a break, it's just a hobby, if we start thinking we're making commitments to each other we'll end up stressing out over what we don't achieve, which really isn't what a hobby should be about.

Personally, I don't feel bad about the builds I haven't got done or the GBs I haven't participated in, but do wish I'd been able to participate more in the social side of the GBs this year - I've not been commenting on other people's builds as much as I'd have liked to, and I've been finding it hard to keep up with all the GBs - which I think comes down to a bit of general burnout and what a blooming terrible year 2021 has been. In fact seeing the bunfight end and the list of new GBs go up has given me a bit of a lift, starting to think about 2022 and getting involved in those GBs seems to be helping to put 2021 behind me. I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone will build next year.

• Like 10

Hey Filler, I'm sorry to hear that anything about the hobby causes you to feel troubled. If it helps, these are my thoughts on the GB process:

I think that putting my name on a GB proposal is merely seconding it. I'm saying I like the idea and maybe I'll join in later, or perhaps I just want to see lots of that sort of model built by other folk.

When I vote in the bunfight I'm still saying the same thing with all the maybes and perhapses.

After the bunfight but before the start of the GB, if I add my name to the general list, I'm announcing my possible or perhaps likely participation, to keep up the excitement on my part and in the GB generally. (They take so long to come around, they need all the excitement they can get!)

At the start of the GB, when I launch my own build thread, I feel committed to, at the least, starting the model. However, even at this point, nobody cares if I say, this is not working for me, I'm out. 

It's only a hobby. It's only a gang of people doing a hobby in a sort of togetherish way. It helps me to get more models done and perhaps of subjects that I wouldn't have thought of myself. But it doesn't really matter. The bunfight isn't a 'real' election, it's more of an entertainment. And this year was particularly entertaining. And if you'd voted Leopard I'd have hugged you!

With all this in mind, I can relax and enjoy the thing, and that's always my objective.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

There might be very good reasons to vote for a GB you have no intention of taking part in. The "out of my comfort zone" is a good example - the opportunity to learn how others find solutions to the problems they encounter could be very informative.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I think that putting my name on a GB proposal is merely seconding it. I'm saying I like the idea and maybe I'll join in later, or perhaps I just want to see lots of that sort of model built by other folk.

When I vote in the bunfight I'm still saying the same thing with all the maybes and perhapses.

After the bunfight but before the start of the GB, if I add my name to the general list, I'm announcing my possible or perhaps likely participation, to keep up the excitement on my part and in the GB generally. (They take so long to come around, they need all the excitement they can get!)

At the start of the GB, when I launch my own build thread, I feel committed to, at the least, starting the model. However, even at this point, nobody cares if I say, this is not working for me, I'm out. 

It's only a hobby. It's only a gang of people doing a hobby in a sort of togetherish way. It helps me to get more models done and perhaps of subjects that I wouldn't have thought of myself. But it doesn't really matter. The bunfight isn't a 'real' election, it's more of an entertainment. And this year was particularly entertaining. And if you'd voted Leopard I'd have hugged you!

Bertie, that's exactly how I feel about Group Builds too. Couldn't have put it any better 👍

Cheers

Markus

On 11/18/2021 at 12:20 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

Hey Filler, I'm sorry to hear that anything about the hobby causes you to feel troubled. If it helps, these are my thoughts on the GB process:

With all this in mind, I can relax and enjoy the thing, and that's always my objective.

Bertie, as Markus says above, that’s pretty much my take on all things GB. 

Couldnt have put put it better myself. 

James

• Like 1

I don't think it's anything to lose sleep over. At the end of 2020 (my first full year of BM membership) my enthusiasm got the better of me and I overcommitted massively to GB's, but I don't recall anyone saying 'Ere! Where's that Crusader you promised us? (to pick but one example). This year my aspirations are much more measured and sensible, but even then I fully expect I won't be able to deliver on everything I plan to do. I think it's perfectly valid to vote for a GB with no intention of taking part, if one is interested enough in the subject matter to want to see what other members get up to.

Edited by TonyOD

You use a real camera, then? I take lousy pics of my lousy models with my Android phone, which lets me share the pics to Flickr quickly after taking them. Posting them on the Britmodeller with my phone is then only a few clicks away and I write very short posts, as my builds are not worth many words. But it's not that tedious and time consuming, actually. V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh I get where you are coming from.  My life gets way too much in the way of modelling and no amount of self cajoling gets me finished  -  er more likely started - in a GB.  This year though I have 2 projects which I have had planned for a long time.  Both 1/32 - a P-38 Lightning and an F-105 Thud.  Based on the certain knowledge neither will get finished by the end of the GB I have arranged to start both in advance but not go further than the 25% completed stage at the beginning.  Neither will make the gallery at GB end but the host has said they will get the build back onto the GB after the end so that anyone not finished can just still plod on till they do.  Great idea as it takes the pressure to finish by the end date off

On 11/18/2021 at 1:20 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

If it helps, these are my thoughts on the GB process

Nail, head.

Originally, I had great plans including doing a long-time stash-queen 1/32 F-14 in the GB.

Turns out, life is what happens while you're busy making plans so in the end, didn't join in the fray. 

It happens. 

Or, looking at it in another way: instead of rushing a build to make the end date, finish it on your own terms and tempo is perfectly ok over here.

That's what makes this such a great hobby. No mandatory EOY evaluation like at work. Just us doing it because we like it.

• Like 1

Going at your pace works; the F-4 GB finished on Sunday and this is where I was (1/72 FineMolds F-4EJ Kai). I started with underside decals. The model has benefited a lot from the GB and I will finish it. (Then I will start another rhino in another GB in January, may or mat not finish during GB.)

Chris

p?i=f08d4dba45f5dfeb0346b5e43f89f2b3