Small Scales - 30 signups

Adam Poultney

This is a GB idea I've had for a while, and I really think it offers something for most modellers. Personally I quite like small scales and build a lot in them, others don't as they find it too difficult, but I'm young and have the eyesight and dexterity to work with very small parts. However I don't think that's necessarily a limiting factor, give it a go and see how you get on. 

Your build can be of any subject in a small scale. Real subjects, what-ifs, entirely fictional, aircraft, tanks, ships, everything is allowed. For different types of subject we'll need different scales, I primarily build aircraft so someone more familiar with other areas of modelling will have to suggest a scale for those.

Allowed scale (give or take a little bit for oddly scaled kits):

Aircraft: 1/96 or smaller

Armoured vehicles: 1/77 or smaller

Ships: 1/721 or smaller

Cars: ?

Normal GB rules apply (25% rule, etc...)

If this goes ahead, and especially if any of the others I've put in the running for a 2023 slot also get though, I may need someone to be a fairly active co-host as I can't guarantee availability through the entire time of a GB due to uni. 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

Signups:

1 - Adam Poultney, host(ish) - probably a Vulcan of course

2 - @Silenoz , co-host 

3 - @ArnoldAmbrose

4 - @Stefan Buysse

5 - @Evil_Toast_RSA

6 - @Tim R-T-C

7 - @MarkSH

8 -  @Corsairfoxfouruncle

9 - @zebra

10 - @Bertie Psmith

11 - @Steben

12 - @Black Knight

13 - @CliffB

14 - @dnl42

15 - @srkirad

16 - @Paul821

17 - @Bertie Psmith

18 - @Robert Stuart

19 - @Hockeyboy76

20 - as volunteered by @Hockeyboy76, @nimrod54

21 - @Ernie

22 - @Potato Pete

23 - @Marklo

24 - @ColonelKrypton

25 - @Beggsy

26 - @bootneck

27 - @ArnoldAmbrose

28 - @desert falcon

29 - @Marklo

30 - @Lex77

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 5

I'm in for this. Also building a lot of 1/144, I'll have to build them, while my eyesight is still good. 

Interesting proposal, it's a mostly underestimated scale (for aircraft and tanks) with regards to other, larger, scales...

• Like 1

Might I suggest:

Smaller than 1/77 for AFVs - opens up ranges in 1/87, 1/100 and 1/144 as well as smaller wargame models

Smaller than 1/721 for ships - opens up plenty of small models and wargame ships

As the owner of a giant stash of 144th planes, I'm definitely in for this!

• Like 3

I too also have a substantial stash of smaller scale kits across numerous genres, so an opportunity to bring them to the fore is a good idea, I'm in.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Count me in too, please.

I have quite a few candidates for this one, I wish to finish remaining 144s in next few years, while I still can make some use of my "mycroscopic vision system", and then finally fully devote myself to true scale - 1/72 :D

Could the Aircraft scale be reduced to above 1:95 as this would allow all those classic kits in 1:96 (V bomber anyone ?) It would also let in 1:100 scale. I can see issues with some genres for example figures, commercial vehicles where the usual scale of modelling may differ from the more common. For example if I was modelling a B-type bus the main models are in 1:32 and 1:35 scale but they are available at 1:72 and 1:76 scale.

Anyway do add me to the list as I have plenty of possible entries.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 14:17, Tim R-T-C said:

Smaller than 1/77 for AFVs - opens up ranges in 1/87, 1/100 and 1/144 as well as smaller wargame models

Smaller than 1/721 for ships - opens up plenty of small models and wargame ships

Anyone for any objections to these? I'll add these scales for now

Edited by Adam Poultney

5 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Could the Aircraft scale be reduced to above 1:95 as this would allow all those classic kits in 1:96 (V bomber anyone ?) It would also let in 1:100 scale.

I've updated the rules to allow 1/96 as the largest scale. 

For ships, why not include the 1/700 range? These have a lot of coverage...

For cars, maybe start from 1/43 scale (not a usual scale, but pretty comon for a lot of subjects), or 1/87

Tanks don't know whether you want to exclude 1/72 (main scale) and 1/76 (old matchbox) or not (from 1/87 on there's alot of coverage from roco minitanks etc...)

28 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

Tanks don't know whether you want to exclude 1/72 (main scale) and 1/76 (old matchbox) or not (from 1/87 on there's alot of coverage from roco minitanks etc...)

There a whole world of tank kits in the so called 15mm, or more precisely 1:100 scale nowadays. It's a new favorite of wargamers and several manufacturers are nowadays producing miniature kits in plastic instead of resin and white metal. The selection of kits is far superior to, say, 1:72/76 in injection molded plastic. V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1