1/72 - North American P-51D/K Mustang by Arma Hobby - release in 2024 ?

Homebee

It's a funny one: while there's certainly a few decent P-51D/K kits in The Only Scale That Matters, it could be argued that all fall short in some way. I *think* that the Hasegawa kit (the newer one) possibly has the best shape (something about the flattened section on the upper nose, IIRC), it's very basic, has shallow wheel wells (that doesn't matter a great deal to me, as once I've finished a kit, I'm unlikely to go poking around in there!) and the flaps can't be deployed. As that's a prominent feature of a parked aircraft, I think it's a shame.

The Tamiya one also doesn't have the option to drop the flaps and doesn't have the 110 Gal paper drop tanks, which were a common fit on the D/K. The Airfix one does have the dropped flaps (yay!) but the plastic, being simultaneously soft and brittle, means that many of the smaller parts are guaranteed to end up in several pieces. It also doesn't have the 110 Gal tanks. It is cheap though and although it doesn't quite have the finesse of the Tamiya kit, it's probably my favourite of the bunch.

None of the kits have the option of a filletless tail.

The Arma kit promises to be the best of the bunch, if the B/C is anything to go by. I suspect the price of the basic version will be around £13-15, which is about as much as I'd spend on a single-engined fighter. If they quit mucking about with rubbish scales and pull their socks up, only Eduard are likely to offer a better quality:price ratio, IMHO. That's a big if, though, and I ain't holding my breath.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

Educated me @lasermonkey, didn't know there were 2 hasegawa tools, been dismissing their one as not paying the price for what is an ancient kit, my locals got both the standard kit and the aces combo for sale, thats one for the shopping list...........also not hard to do a filletless one with any tool, just careful cut and little bit of sanding.......

You guys got me thinking.  More or less hasn't every major manufacturer done or is doing at least one kit of a P-51 in at least one or various marks in the one true scale - or as the guys over here in the states call it "MAN SCALE".  Cheers!  FTOSOTP  

Let the firestorm begin.

Would Arma Hobby dare to make on with "filled and sanded panellines" as on the wings on the real thing? Got rather tired of filling and sanding Tamiya and Airfix kits...

Cheers / André 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

Would Arma Hobby dare to make on with "filled and sanded panellines" as on the wings on the real thing? Got rather tired of filling and sanding Tamiya and Airfix kits...

Cheers / André 

As much as I would like them to do so, I suspect not as the CAD renders for their P-51B shows full panel lines on the wings.

3 hours ago, Andre B said:

Cheers / André 

A good point. A really good point. I've yet to find a quick and easy way to fill those panel lines, Sure, the first fill/sand cycle hides most of it, but there always seems to be something that needs attention, no matter how many times I do it. Not one of my favourite tasks, it has to be said!

• Like 2

On 17/11/2021 at 15:26, PhantomBigStu said:

Educated me @lasermonkey, didn't know there were 2 hasegawa tools, been dismissing their one as not paying the price for what is an ancient kit, my locals got both the standard kit and the aces combo for sale, thats one for the shopping list...........also not hard to do a filletless one with any tool, just careful cut and little bit of sanding.......

The ancient Hasegawa was basic but quite accurate apart from the fin which was portrayed as having a sackcloth covering !

Wulfman

• Like 3

5 hours ago, steh2o said:

Outrageous proposal to Arma: why not to put in a pair of scribed and a pair of "filled" wings? At a small increase in cost everybody will be happy!

That would double the tooling and production costs for the wing and increase the retail cost of the kit - much cheaper to tool the wing with the panel and rivet detail included, and add a note for the rivet counters in the instructions as to which areas to fill and rub down "for that 100% authentic finish" :fool:

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

That would double the tooling and production costs for the wing and increase the retail cost of the kit - much cheaper to tool the wing with the panel and rivet detail included, and add a note for the rivet counters in the instructions as to which areas to fill and rub down "for that 100% authentic finish" :fool:

Why not go the other way? Make an authentic, filled and sanded wing as on the real thing and ad instructions how and where to cut panellines for those builders that want to build an post war museum replica?

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 11/17/2021 at 2:39 PM, lasermonkey said:

The Arma kit promises to be the best of the bunch, if the B/C is anything to go by. I suspect the price of the basic version will be around £13-15, which is about as much as I'd spend on a single-engined fighter. If they quit mucking about with rubbish scales and pull their socks up, only Eduard are likely to offer a better quality:price ratio, IMHO. That's a big if, though, and I ain't holding my breath.

Well, I’ll be buying some :) 

11 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Why not go the other way? Make an authentic, filled and sanded wing as on the real thing and ad instructions how and where to cut panellines for those builders that want to build an post war museum replica?

Because it's far more authentic to mould it with the rivets and panel lines and then have to fill them in as North American did :wicked:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Wulfman said:

The ancient Hasegawa was basic but quite accurate apart from the fin which was portrayed as having a sackcloth covering !

Wulfman

Agree with you concerning accurate. And the sackcloth turned out rather well after painting.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/395123104441641/permalink/783465732274041/

Edited by Andre B

On 11/18/2021 at 8:06 AM, Wulfman said:

Wulfman

Sackcloth?!!!  I like it!

On 11/18/2021 at 12:57 PM, steh2o said:

Outrageous proposal to Arma: why not to put in a pair of scribed and a pair of "filled" wings? At a small increase in cost everybody will be happy!

Please speak for yourself only and refrain from using "everybody".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/11/2021 at 23:14, Grayhawk said:

You guys got me thinking.  More or less hasn't every major manufacturer done or is doing at least one kit of a P-51 in at least one or various marks in the one true scale - or as the guys over here in the states call it "MAN SCALE".  Cheers!  FTOSOTP  

Let the firestorm begin.

“MAN’S SCALE”. = “ GENTLEMAN’S SCALE “ as all we Brits know !

Wulfman

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - North American P-51D/K Mustang by Arma Hobby - in project for Q3/4 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - North American P-51D/K Mustang by Arma Hobby - release in Q3/4 2022

Here we go, the first accurate-shape 1/72 P-51D in 1/72... let's hope so. It is no minor feat because nearly every part has to be redesigned, exception made for the undercarriage legs and wheels, flaps, and propeller/spinner assy. The easy part, plenty of original engineering drawings, and al least three "reference" models to look at  (Tamiya 32nd, Meng + Airfix 48th)

Edited by steh2o