1/48 Spitfire IXe, Danish Air Force (Eduard) +++ Finished+++

Bjorn

While I am waiting for a paint mask to arrive for my Fouga Magister, I have plans for another build. A kit that has been waiting in my stash too many years now! Eduard's lovely 1/48 Spitfire. I have built the XVI version, but never the IX, my favourite Spit. I also have a sheet with Stoppel decals, so let's get started!

51684968792_9c3bdd8dca_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2

• Bjorn changed the title to 1/48 Spitfire IXe, Danish Air Force (Eduard)

I started this one last Saturday. This is truly an amazing kit!

51703006630_4525982109_c.jpg

A after few hours build the day after, and yesterday, most of the kit was assembled and primed! This one will be far a quicker build than I expected.

51702119956_af37a93990_c.jpg

The only (well-known) challenge was the two-part upper engine cowling cover. Removing the seam took a while, and felt unneccesary, since a one-piece part would have been far better. Another challenge was my own fault, I was a bit tired when gluing the lower one, and completely forgot that this one had the long carburetor intake (luckily I used the right wing for that!). So I had to remove the intake part from the cover parts and glue that in place. But i think that I managed to hide my error.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

wow you did sneak this one in!

Those Eduard Spitfires are such a nice kit to build, they just fall together! The cockpit looks amazing, well done.

Look forward to seeing her completed.

• Like 1

Thanks! Yes, they are a pleasure to build! And now it is painted!

51731147543_72422807e9_c.jpg

I used Mr Paint colours. The Dark Green is a challenge, the first MRP edition was too brown, more like Olive Drab. So they made a completely new edition - which in my eyes is too green. So I mixed them into something that looked good to me.

Those of you that are Spitfire experts might wonder about the camouflage pattern. The Danish Spitfires were delivered in the normal RAF camouflage, but at least some of them were (for some reason) re-painted in a slightly different pattern. Another odd thing about them was that they flew both with clipped wings and normal wingtips. Initially, they were pretty much different from each other, but later they seem to have been more and more standardized.

• Like 8

On 10/12/2021 at 15:31, John Masters said:

That'll look swell with those Danish roundels.

And here they are! Stoppel Decals can be a challenge, I have had lots of silvering problems before, however, this was not so much of a problem this time. But the reaction to Microsol was so slow, that I got a bit worried and had to find a relaxing F1 race to cool down with. ;)

However, I am pleased with the result. The result with the decals, that is. My feelings about the F1 result will be left to other channels.

51743227926_0d7228ae6c_c.jpg

• Like 5

That looks so good! One thing I always notice with planes with big roundels like that is that they always look a little stark contrasted with the beautifully weathered camouflaged paint job.

I suppose painting the roundels can allow for similar techniques to be used (not that I have ever done it!) But I have used a pale white or grey thinned to try and show a faded effect on the roundels. However it didn't look quite right.

I am absolutely not criticizing your beautiful Spitfire but just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this?

17 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

That looks so good! One thing I always notice with planes with big roundels like that is that they always look a little stark contrasted with the beautifully weathered camouflaged paint job.

I suppose painting the roundels can allow for similar techniques to be used (not that I have ever done it!) But I have used a pale white or grey thinned to try and show a faded effect on the roundels. However it didn't look quite right.

I am absolutely not criticizing your beautiful Spitfire but just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this?

So true. However, I will weather them after the wash. The matt varnish will also make them less sharp. And red colours almost always look sharper on photos than in reality. 

Some progress yesterday: Wash and propeller:

51744883372_da864a4826_c.jpg

• Like 8

• Bjorn changed the title to 1/48 Spitfire IXe, Danish Air Force (Eduard) +++ Finished+++

I agree well done, she looks great!!! :thumbsup:

I love the finish, just enough weathering to give her some life, very nicely done.

Thanks for joining us here, hope you enjoyed the build, now you can go off and enjoy all those Christmas treats........ or start building another model! :D

• Thanks 1