Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 1959 by fnick - Monogram 1/25

Fnick

Evening all

Quick update. With the interior done the next step

was to polish the body in preparation for all the BMF work required.

spacer.png

I still find it really hard to have a setup that really shows the true colour with enough lighting. I'm tempted to get one of those hobby booths with integrated LEDs that you can get for about £30 but I'm not sure if they are good enough.

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 7

Thanks gents!

I've couldn't help but grab a few minutes whilst the kids were watching TV yesterday and started putting the BMF on. Only did a small section but it certainly gives a good hint of what it will look like.

Assuming it goes on ok (the top of the fins is looking quite tricky...) then I have to admit I'm quite looking forward to seeing in too! 😊

Cheers, Nick

• Like 3

Still looking good, good luck with the BMF.

23 hours ago, Fnick said:

I still find it really hard to have a setup that really shows the true colour with enough lighting.

If you're just after the true colour, you're better off playing around with the white balance on your camera (if that setting is available). If you have LED or fluorescent light sources, the lamp should say on it what the colour temperature is (expressed in K). Tungsten lamps would be 3000K, old-style light bulbs 2700K. Or, if your camera is like mine, it will give you some preset options, so inaddition to those two 'daylight fluorescent' would equal 6500K while 'fluorescent' is probably 3500-4000K.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Spiny for the photo tips. I'm being a bit lazy with my photos and am using my phone camera which isn't actually that bad but colour reproduction for the model isnt the best. White balancing isn't available on it. I tend to use my DSLR only for RFI pics.

I have just ordered a photo light box so that may help a little bit. 

Nick

Edited by Fnick
Tyop

Evening all

My photo booth arrived today and once the wife had stopped rolling her eyes around when I told her what I got and why I got it...😄 I tried it out.

Here's the result with some chrome being applied. I hadn't realised BMF adhesive left so much gunk behind...☹️ Luckily I was able to get most of it off bu I think I'll need to repolish the rear wing. For the other side I'll protect the paint job with masking tape. Heres a few pics. First two are against a white background,then black then grey.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 11

Morning all

The BMF work on the body is now complete. As I thought the rear fins were a bit of a female dog to do...😄

The fins are not curved like on the real car but have some sort of step. If you cut the foil on the inside it's just not enough so you need to cut right on the edge. Again a new blade was used. It's surprising how quickly blades dull when cutting BMF.

Here's the status.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see I am still experimenting with the different backgrounds.

I also redid in foil the front badges that I had painted before.

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 9

Thank you all for your kind words. 😊

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

Lovely! A bit of sunlight shining at that

Well since you insist!🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Had to do that fairly quickly whilst trying to keep and eye out on the kids!

As the next step is to insert the interior tub in the body Ill wait until I've done that before more outdoor shots.

Thanks again

Nick

• Like 6

There's some very nice work going on with the BMF here, I can't say I envy you with all of that to get done and doesn't look the easiest shape to deal with either. I'd imagine it's a bit of a wallet-breaker too with all that chrome!

11 hours ago, Fnick said:

Again a new blade was used. It's surprising how quickly blades dull when cutting BMF

If you're getting through a lot of blades, consider a whetstone for the blades. I got a cheap 3000/8000 stone off Amazon and am still on the first blade for BMFing. That said, if I get the angle wrong when I 'sharpen' it as I have a couple of times you can really blunt the blade!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spiny said:

There's some very nice work going on with the BMF here, I can't say I envy you with all of that to get done and doesn't look the easiest shape to deal with either. I'd imagine it's a bit of a wallet-breaker too with all that chrome!

If you're getting through a lot of blades, consider a whetstone for the blades. I got a cheap 3000/8000 stone off Amazon and am still on the first blade for BMFing. That said, if I get the angle wrong when I 'sharpen' it as I have a couple of times you can really blunt the blade!

Nice work on your foiling!

I use a stone as well. Still getting a feel for keeping the angle. It does extend the useful life of the blade, but when I really need a sharp tip I end up reaching for a new blade.

Currently building the Heller 1958 Biarritz and trying to decide between the BMF or spraying Green Stuff chrome or using Mr.Hobby super silver chrome. The 1:1 cars had stainless and chrome on different parts

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I'd imagine it's a bit of a wallet-breaker too with all that chrome!

Well here's how much I have used of the sheet. 

spacer.png

I had multiple attempts for some bits especially for the doors as they were quite fiddly but I also tried to minimise usage on the body by using templates. So I reckon I used probably a bit more than half the sheet.

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 2

Ouch, that looks like a lot of chrome been used (not surprising given the car!). Incidentally, it looks from the right hand side of the sheet in particular that you may be pressing harder than you need to to cut the foil when it's on the backing paper - you can press verylightly so it's just barely leaving a mark on the paper and it will still cut the foil fine (while hopefully also making the blade-blunting process a bit slower).

• Like 2

Hi Spiny you're right. I realised quite quickly how that you really don't need to press hard to cut through the BMF. In my defence 🙂 I was using another blade to cut through the backing sheet but yes that was totally unnecessary to do it that way! 😊🙄

Nick

• Like 1

Morning all

Quick update. The interior tub is now in the body! Starting to look like an Eldorado now. 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's the good news...

The other news is that I then tried to mate the chassis to the above and it didn't go too well... The engine is an absolute pig to get in and in fact it got disconnected from the drive shaft in the process...

I also realised that the underneath of the interior tub would show and I didn't fancy pink as a colour you could see! So I applied a quick coat of black this morning to remedy that. 

A couple of other bits fell off the engine in the process but nothing major. All fixable but mating the chassis to the body is going to be not easy!

Nick

• Like 5