Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 1959 by fnick - Monogram 1/25

Fnick

3 hours ago, Fnick said:

mating the chassis to the body is going to be not easy!

That's my least favourite part of car modelling. Followed a close second by trying to get all four wheels on the ground!

It's looking like a really nice Eldorado now Nick, really hope the body to chassis mating goes better than expected! :)

Keith

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fnick said:

That's the good news...

The other news is that I then tried to mate the chassis to the above and it didn't go too well... The engine is an absolute pig to get in and in fact it got disconnected from the drive shaft in the process...

That's the part I dread most, sometimes a kit will go together really easily, other times the two halves feel like an estranged couple who REALLY don't want to be in the same room as each other. It's a shame that this is one of those kits as the tub in body looks really good, crossing my fingers that you find a way to get it in with minimal engine damage soon.

• Thanks 1

Morning all

Thank you all for the comments and encouragement.

With the engine out of the way in I tried mating the body to the chassis again to see where the problem was. It turns out that the steering gear box was in the way. 

So I put the engine in the engine bay and did the whole thing again trying to see where/how I could put the steering gear box without it causing any problems and no luck whatsoever. I just couldn't work it out! 😊. So I am now building a version of the Eldorado that has no power steering! 😄. In my feeble defense you just can't see the thing anyway either from the engine bay or from underneath!

With that little problem out of the way I was able to finally mate the body and chassis along with the help of some clamps and a generous helping of super glue!

Here's the result

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's getting crowded in there!

spacer.png

Next steps are adding more bits and bobs in the engine bay and then my attention will turn to the chrome bumpers.

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 9

Looks good.  I wouldn't worry about the steering box if it can't be seen anyway.   If you're going for a factory appearance, the inner wings, radiator support and the hood/bonnet latch crossmember are all black.  Only the bulkhead is body colour - original condition and restored examples below:

http://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/59-caddy-deville-2.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/ea/b0/f2eab09864fa6ff66d8118c9509e0c69.jpg

• Thanks 1

And now I remember what I had forgotten...🙄😄. It was my intention to double check the engine bay colour scheme before I mated the chassis and body together... Rats...

Thanks for the info Six97s. I think I'll see what I can do without risking painting over anything I shouldn't!

Nick

I shouldn't worry about the steering box, it's the sort of thing which (almost!) nobody would notice anyway and if it was getting in the way is the sort of thing which can be omitted if it ends up with the end result looking better. And so far it's really looking good...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all

Thank you very much for the kind comments and suggestions. They are always appreciated! 🙂

The first step was to address the issue raised by Six97s. The radiator was also installed at this point.

spacer.png

Once that was done the rest of the engine components were prepped and painted.

spacer.png

And glued into place 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was a bit of a squeeze but everything fits!

I'm really looking forward to the next step as that is installing the chrome bumpers. I test fitted them and they really being the car to life!

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 7

Fully agree that I like the Revell habit of naming the pieces. I've also got to say that you've done an incredible job of painting that engine bay with the engine in place without getting paint all over the bits you didn't want painting.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Spiny.

It turned out to be one of those jobs that was easier than thought. It wasn't too tricky to protect the engine with some 12mm masking tape. 1mm tape for the sides did the rest.

If there had been any risk of fouling the exisint paint job I would have left it well alone!

Nick

• Like 1

On 08/04/2022 at 14:08, Alan R said:

Absolutely wonderful!

I assume the little v-twin at the front of the engine is the A/C compressor?

Cheers,

Alan.

That's the compressor for the air suspension.  The AC compressor is on the other side of the engine, above the dynamo. 😉 

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Morning all

Bumpers are on! Getting very close now. This is where I need to resist the temptation to rush through to the end...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A couple of places need touching up with molotow chrome. You can also see the difference between the kit chrome and the BMF but I think the photos don't help in that respect either as it's not that bad in real light.

The next tricky steps are putting the glass in place. This doesn't look too bad but given my previous luck with glass... The other is working how to chrome the rear lights.

Thanks for looking,

Nick

Edited by Fnick
Tyop
  • Like 7

As you said before, the bumpers really bring this to life, almost done now. But you're absolutely right to resist the urge to rush through to completion - those last details always take longer than you want/expect, but getting them right will be the icing on what is looking like a very tasty cake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

Getting very close now! 🙂

First the windscreen sub assembly was completed.

spacer.png

No major dramas there apart from the fact that it took three attempts to glue the mirror! I used standard PVA for that. Does anyone know if glue and glaze is worth getting?

Next the hood cap was glued and chromed.

spacer.png

It had to be trimmed a bit for it to fit the car properly with the hood on.

One thing that had been puzzling me was how to replicate the chrome on the rear lights as shown below

spacer.png

Painting them looked very difficult to day the least. Ditto for using BMF and then removing the small segments. So my solution was to BMF the light and then use a wash based on clear red, let that dry and then gently remove the excess with acrylic thinner. 

Here's a brutal close up!

spacer.png

I think that looks ok. At least good enough to give the illusion of the real thing if you don't look too closely! 😄

And finally the windscreen could be glued in place. The sides had to be sanded down a bit to ensure a good fit. A couple of glamour shots to finish...

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see the model is quite dusty and needs a good clean and a polish. That's up next before installing the side mirror, door handles and rear lights to hopefully prevent those being knocked off in the process!

Thanks for looking.

Nick

PS: another niggle is that there is a gap at the end of the fins which doesn't look great. Not sure what to do about that yet. I'm not sure filling with putty and sanding is going to work without fouling the BMF. I might just try and slowly fill the gap with molotow but again not sure that is going to work. Certainty don't want to risk mucking up anything at this stage!

• Like 9