Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 1959 by fnick - Monogram 1/25

Fnick

Morning all

Minor update. Here is the result of my first foray into BMF.

spacer.png

Have to admit quite pleased with the result. Not perfect as I managed to scratch the paint in a couple of places at the back as you can see below.

spacer.png

I'm not going to blame my tools but...🙂... I use a swan Morton scalpel with a 26 blade. I do like it but the blade is quite long so tricky to manoeuvre around small turns. 

Given the fact that I got no modelling related presents this Christmas I think it's only fair if I treat myself to a modelling knife. I was thinking of going for the tamiya one since it comes with a fair amount of blades. Or does anyone have any recommendations for a small bladed craft knife? Happy to pay a premium if the tool is good quality.

Finally a last pic

spacer.png

It's nice seeing the difference the BMF has made to the look of the seat. And I've just noticed some blue overspray and the right hand seat that I completely missed first time around!😊

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 5

The new range of SM are almost a direct mirror of the BP and a lot cheaper.....https://www.swann-morton.com/

Would suggest this one....https://www.swann-morton.com/product/163.php

With a wide choice of blades to choose from.....https://www.swann-morton.com/product_range/1.php

Got mine from here.....https://www.scalpelsandblades.co.uk/handle-detail_541_swann-morton-genuine-no-5-ergonomic-1003-sleeved-handle-.php

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Ron. Looking at it can't easily get the bard Parker in the UK but it looks like a swan Morton n5 handle and 10a blades should do the trick.

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 1

Another option would be X-Acto or similar - they have a slimmer handle than the swann-Morton so a lot depends on what style suits you (sounds as though the SM does). Something similar to the knife set at the bottom of this page would be a good place to start.

https://www.xacto.com/knives-blades.html

I inherited a similar set (but with no obvious branding) so use the handles from that with X-Acto blades - the number 11 is the one I use the most with the number 17 for the first cut after removing from the sprue. Whichever option you go for, the main thing is make sure you have a sharp for cutting the BMF - either with a good quality new(ish) blade or, as I do, by sharpening and honing with a 3000/10,000 grit sharpening stone.

EDIT: All that and I forgot to comment ont he foiling which looks very nice and smooth. Don't worry too much about the nicks in the paint, a fine brush should allow them to be touched in and the outside of a curve is always one of the mroe difficult bits to do neatly.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

First of all thank you again for the comments,likes and visits.

I've started on the interior details. I've decided to use BMF for all the chrome details as I feel I can get a better finish than with brush painted molotow. 

Very tricky to do some of these details. I think I already need to change the blade on my scalpel!

Looking at photos some of the buttons,etc are actually chrome edged with aluminium centre.

Here are some progress shots. Long way to go but enjoying this part of the build!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A few touch ups will be required but fingers crossed at this stage nothing too drastic.

Thanks for looking, Nick

Edited by Fnick
Fixed tyop
  • Like 7

Thanks gents for the comments! It is quite fiddly work. A sharp blade is a must like you said Spiny. The foil by the rear seats one side took me 4 attempts! So I am not sure how well it is stuck on and I'm trying my best to make sure I don't find out! 😄

Nick

Edited by Fnick

Morning all

BMF work done on the doors and seats. Yes that was fiddly! 😄 In the left hand side of the right door panel I've used a grey wash to give a bit more depth to the fabric. Think it might be a bit too dark...

A few places where I scuffed up the paint work will need to be touched up. The grey areas in the doors were carpeted on the Eldorados and I am waiting for some flocking powder to arrive. I may start on the dash next. There are no decals for any dials! However there is a good amount of detail so I am hoping that painting with a fine brush will be enough!

Here are the latest pics

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

Door interiors now ready for flocking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I found some embossing powder which is a very good match to the body colour.

spacer.png

Work is progressing on the dashboard.

spacer.png

Although I've just noticed in this photo and checked that what looks like a bit of fluff on the right hand side is actually a scratch on the BMF...☹️. So that's going to get redone. The rest of the chrome is going to be a mixture of molotow and Mr hobby chrome silver as I need to add a black wash to bring out the details. 

As you can see detailing the indicators and dials is going to be interesting! 🥹 Yes that is the closest I could find to a cross eyed emoji!😄

Thanks for looking, Nick

Edited by Fnick
User error
  • Like 7

Good detail work here, I can definitely sympathise with the  squinting in close-up though. It'll be interesting to see how that flocking comes out too.

For the dials which are moulded in (as here) you can get decent results by painting the whole lot in the colour you want the raised bits to be (i.e. figures etc.) then making up your own wash with a suitable black (matt/satin/gloss) watered down so it's almost watery, then set the dash so the dial is level and cover with the wash. You can rub the raised parts after to lighten them up if the wash has stuck to them, best to do that once the wash has dried to the extent of not appearing wet, but before it hardens. It will probably take 3 or 4 coats to get a suitable black background, but the effect can be quite effective - this was my Mustang last summer and the speedo in the centre was done using this method when I discovered that the kit decal was much smaller than it needed to be:

51366510110_5cb0c63f77_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Spiny!

Yes I did remember thinking that your way of doing a dash was a good idea! Just not when I started mine! 😄🙄. Think I'll carry on how I started. The black is acrylic but the pearl white behind it is lacquer so I can always remove it and start again if I'm am not happy with the outcome.

Nick

Morning all

Today's job was one I was a bit apprehensive about: flocking the interior. Not some much the floor but the door panels. Here's the result

spacer.png

Colour is slightly more topazy than in the photo. With hindsight I should have painted the floor blue as opposed to grey which is what the instructions called out for. Lesson learned for next time...some photo documentation shows carpets over the floor mats. I think I'll leave them as they are just to provide a bit more visual interest.

And of course I couldn't resist a mock-up to see how things are going to look! 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 10

Morning all

The interior is now complete. Really enjoyed doing it even with the multiple redos on some of the BMF work... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The following picture shows a couple of niggles I have with it. First I have no idea how the driver is supposed to sit behind the wheel 🤣. Not sure what I could have done differently. Also on the steering wheel itself the I didn't want to use molotow for the chrome as I was a bit worried it would be too thick to use but that means in my humble opinion that the chrome is a bit lackluster compared to the BMF.

spacer.png

And a final pic showing the rear seat grill. That is the kit chrome with just a subtle accent panel line wash to accentuate depth.

spacer.png

So hopefully the mixture of kit chrome and BMF isn't going to look too strikingly different.

Thanks for looking, Nick

Edited by Fnick
Typos
  • Like 9

Let's just say that I wouldn't have noticed any difference if you hadn't mentioned the differences, and even then I have to look very closely. I can't imagine anyone looking at the actual model with the naked eye will be any the wiser.

Too late for this one, but just as a heads up you can brush the Molotow Chrome. It won't go on quite as smoothly as if you use the pen since it does skin quite quickly, but you can get it on thinner for those delicate parts or small areas.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Spiny! 

I have used molotow brushed on before on my Chrysler 300C build but I just couldn't get a nice finish without working fast and laying on a reasonably thick layer. I just couldn't see myself doing that on a fairly small and tricky part like the steering wheel.

Nick