Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 1959 by fnick - Monogram 1/25

Fnick

Evening all

Welcome to my next build: the Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 1959! The ultimate chrome 50s monster American car!😄

This is the car I really wanted to build but not wanting to pay silly money for the revell version I build the Chrysler 300C instead.

When this one came up on a bidding site I just couldn't resist and was really chuffed when I won the auction.

You can build the car with the roof on or folded back. I am going with the folded back look as in the box art. I really like doing car interiors and this will really give me an opportunity to go to town on the interior detailing.

Here's the box

spacer.png

The kit was already started. The previous owner had painted it in Ford metallic velvet purple and clear coated it (and done a very good job I have to say). However that was not the colour scheme I wanted so into the IPA bath it went.

I started this build earlier in the year as I wanted to get all required parts painted and clear coated before the weather turned.

I had three things in mind for the colour scheme. 1) metallic colour for the body, 2) quite a light colour for the interior to really contrast with the body colour and 3) I didn't want to replicate one of the original colour schemes

I also didn't fancy experimenting with a new brand of paint or brush painting the body as I did on my Mustang and prelude builds so I restricted myself to the tamiya TS range.

I ended up choosing TS-54 light metallic blue for the body and TS-45 pearl white for the interior.

Here is the car body 

spacer.png

And all the various bits and bobs I had to spray paint

spacer.png

Hopefully I've not forgotten any...🤔

I'll be using this car as a reference (courtesy of mecum auctions)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

I painted the Eldorado letters before clear coating

spacer.png

As I wasn't sure it how tricky it would be after.

Of course I had some issues with clear coating... I applied the second coat when the humidity in my garage was too high which resulted in fogging

spacer.png

However after posting for and receiving some excellent advice on this forum all that was required was a light sanding and the application of another coat.

Next step is the engine which I have already started gluing together.

spacer.png

I'm really looking forward to this build!🙂

Thanks for looking, Nick

Edited by Fnick
Added engine photo
  • Like 13

Liking the look of this one. When I came back to the hobby these were quite cheap and readily available and definitely tempted me.

This looks like you've made a good start, particularly on the engine, and it's good that you've got the body painted before winter hits. Now for the big question - how are you going to do all that chrome?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marco F. said:

Mine fogged bcs of the glue to keep in place

Sorry to hear that. Windscreen issues are a pain. I'll be using PVA glue for clear parts

1 hour ago, Anteater said:

. How long is the body?

Its a beast... 23cm long and only in 1/25. In 1/24 it would be 24cm! 😱

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

- how are you going to do all that chrome?

Well I'm hoping to use the kit chrome for a lot of it especially the bumpers but I need to have a proper look at the kit stuff first. Molotow chrome for any detail work. The kit does come with some chrome like stickers as shown below.

spacer.png

But I have bought some bare metal foil so I'll be using that instead.

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

particularly on the engine

Thanks its only glued together at the mo. No paint on it. That's the sprue colour. I read somewhere that the kit was designed to be just glued together without painting if you did not want to paint.

Nick

• Like 4

Cool subject! Don’t know if it’s true or just an urban myth but I recall reading somewhere long time ago that a horse being ridden by a NY city police officer was accidentally impaled on a tail fin of one of these Cads 😳!

Love the color for this Cad, it really pops with the Pearl white upholstery. Two questions: 1) how did you paint the Eldorado letters? (Dry brush?) and 2) what are chrome stickers supplied in the kit intended for? (Is it like BMF for the trim?)

• Thanks 1

Thanks all!

John I can't comment about the injuries to horses but I did find a thread on the Cadillac owners forum and they do mention multiple incidents and injuries to people...

To answer your questions

1) I used mr colour silver chrome metallic and a very fine paint brush!

2) you are correct they are used for the trim. I'll probably use them as a template to cut the BMF.

Glad to know you and others like the colour scheme!😊

Nick

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all

Engine block finished. I'm trying to go for a restored and still driven car for this one so the engine has been weathered slightly.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up the chassis. Thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 9

That engine looks really nice. Subtly weathered.

Just an observation. I always assumed that all US V8 blocks had a 90 degree angle as this seems the best for smooth running. This one seems to have a 120 degree Vee. Is this an optical illusion?

Cheers,

Alan.

• Thanks 1

Yup! That looks like 90 degrees! Obviously an optical illusion brought on by extreme age!

As I said before, beautifully crafted engine!

Thanks for the picture.

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Fat fingers!
  • Thanks 1

Don't be so hard on yourself! If you look at the last pic of the three i think the angle of the pulleys and belts is more than 90 giving the impression that that is the same for the engine.

Nick

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all

First of all Happy new year! 

Progress was somewhat slowed down over the last month but a major step was completed today. The chassis work is done! 🙂. No major hassles. Touch plastic this kit is going well together so far.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've weathered the underneath by mainly by dry brushing dark grey. Not my best effort at dry brushing but I am a bit rusty. Anyway not a bad thing to practice on something that is probably not going to get seen very often!

spacer.png

And a couple more shots 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've cleaned up the wheels a bit since then!

Next up is my favourite part of the build: the interior. Really looking forward to this one as it's going to be fully visible with the top down.

Thanks for looking, Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

Great work on the chassis

Thanks Andy!🙂

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

however it does look more like a commercial vehicle

What you've never heard of the Ford Eldorado transit Biarritz van? 🤪🤣

Nick

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:29 PM, Fnick said:

Sorry to hear that. Windscreen issues are a pain. I'll be using PVA glue for clear parts

Its a beast... 23cm long and only in 1/25. In 1/24 it would be 24cm! 😱

Well I'm hoping to use the kit chrome for a lot of it especially the bumpers but I need to have a proper look at the kit stuff first. Molotow chrome for any detail work. The kit does come with some chrome like stickers as shown below.

spacer.png

But I have bought some bare metal foil so I'll be using that instead.

Thanks its only glued together at the mo. No paint on it. That's the sprue colour. I read somewhere that the kit was designed to be just glued together without painting if you did not want to paint.

Nick

I can't wait to see more :)

You should try Hasegawa Mirror Finish instead of BMF Chrome, for this one. A bit more difficult to apply, but a far better result !

Everyone knows how Americans love shiny and flashy chromes on their cars  😉

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

I can't wait to see more

Thanks Thierry ! Glad you like it.

57 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

You should try Hasegawa Mirror Finish instead of BMF Chrome

Thanks for the suggestion. However since I already have the BMF chrome and it will be the first time I use it I think I'll start with that before trying something more adventurous! I have seen the hasegawa mirror finish used and yes it does look really good!

Nick

• Like 1