Gulfstream G-550 Shavit IAF

Hello all, here is my latest, the Israeli version of the Gulfstream G-550 from Sova M / Amodel. Not the easiest build in the world. The fuselage is moulded in three segments which made for a lot of lining up during construction to make one straight tube! Once this was accomplished the rest of the build is simple enough although there was the usual amount of filling and sanding associated with short run modelling.

Its finished using Xtra Colour white and Humbrol aluminium 27002.  The decals were sealed in with Xtragloss varnish.

Unfortunately the decals were brittle and didn’t react to micro set or sol, as a result the lower part of the blue stripe rippled and wouldn’t bed down. (see photo). So overall a bit of a slog but got there in the end. Here are a few pics of the finished article.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aerial world.

spacer.png

The rippled decal. Only at this point but both sides.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not my usual choice of subject, but fun never the less.

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful job!  How did you get the cabin windows to come out so nicely?  The fuselage walls on A-Model aircraft tend toward the thick side, and that makes it difficult to do a persuasive job on the passenger windows.  The Gulfstream's are quite large, so you have an extra challenge, and I'm interested in your technique.  Aside from that, it's a nice "ride."  The USAF should be getting a few to cross-deck the Compass Call platform onto.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You've done an excellent job!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I know the SovaM/Amodel kits from the two Beechcraft 1900 kits I have - and they demand quite a bit of patience and perseverence.

I have finished one of my Beechcraft (Beechcrafts?) and I so wish it was half as nice as your Gulfstream!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, neilg said:

Very nice!

I didn't know this was available as kit!  Makes a refreshing change of subject!

Thanks Neil.

Yes there are at least 4 boxings I know of, A couple of USAF aircraft, a civillian one and the Israeli one. As they were limited production run models I dont know if many are still available though.

Pete

6 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful job!  How did you get the cabin windows to come out so nicely?  The fuselage walls on A-Model aircraft tend toward the thick side, and that makes it difficult to do a persuasive job on the passenger windows.  The Gulfstream's are quite large, so you have an extra challenge, and I'm interested in your technique.  Aside from that, it's a nice "ride."  The USAF should be getting a few to cross-deck the Compass Call platform onto.

Thanks Alex

Well! I fully intended to fill the windows with Krystal Klear as I usually do on Amodel kits. The kit cabin windows  were not the clearest, not too bad thickness wise though. I had finished painting and decaling and reached for the KK bottle. Because of the size of the windows I just couldnt get the fluid to flow across the gap, so I reverted to the kit windows. Had a devil of a job fitting them from the outside losing 2 in the cabin in the process. I used a little clearfix to stop the windows from falling in (partial success) then with the back of a scalpel blade gently jiggled them in. I then used a cocktail stick wth a tiny drop of runny super glue to keep them in place. Before all this each window had to be paired down to make it fit. The fuselage walls weren't to thick which is probably why they dont look too bad. On a happy note the windows that fell inside dont rattle around because they stuck to the swimming pool of KK in the bottom of the cabin😆. (bet you wish you had never asked😄)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I think this is the first of these I have seen finished, I have this and the JSTARS jet in the stash.

Pity about the decals, something I will remember when I got do do mine.

Thanks Ray. As you have a couple to do I'll mention a few other things I encountered. The long strake running along the top is poorly moulded and so was replaced with plastic card. The kit pitots are more like howitsers and were replaced with photo etch items. The feet from the walk way decal were cut out and the black lines are from an aftermarket sheet. The bigger the pieces of decal the more brittle they seemed to be! Beware the blue cheat lines. They do supply two of each decal though so you get a second chance if it all goes peep tong.

Looking forward to seeing the Jstars when its done.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Wow, very nice result!!

Sounds challenging indeed!!

Regarding the ruptured decal, you could try to very carefully sand down the ruptures and put some blue paint on with a soft paint brush...

• Like 1