McDonnell-Douglas AV-8B Harrier II

Earlier this week I posted photos of my latest completion, the Convair F-102.   I took another model to the airport for the same photo session; it's one that was finished in the Spring of 1989.   It was the fourth model I finished after returning to this hobby around 1988.    By this point, I had learned that I needed gloss coats for decals, and a flat clear for final coats.  I had started using Testors Glosscoat and Dullcoat lacquers in the little spray cans.   Things went well until it was time for the final clear flat on this Harrier.  At the time, I had an hour off for lunch and I wanted to finish the model after eating lunch one fine Spring day.   I laid the Dullcoat on too heavily though and it "melted" small divots allover the upper surface!  Arrrgggh!!!   And there was nothing I could do about it...😪

I remember modifying the rear exhaust nozzles so that they could be rotated down like the two front nozzles.  One thing that bugged me then, and does to this day, is Monogram's "goof" with the mounting of the rear main landing gear.  Installed per instruction, they end up sitting just above the surface of the ground.   I guess I could say the Harrier was in take-off mode and just lifting those.    For that reason mostly, I had never taken a single photo of the model in all the years since its completion.     Friday's trip to the airport seemed like a good time to remedy that!    She isn't much to brag about I'm afraid, but it is an example of my work from many years ago.    So, here are a few pics of the old Marine Harrier.   Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your interest!  :D

SB_full_good_copy.jpg

portr_full_good_copy.jpg

front_view_copy.jpg

rear_good_copy.jpg

'

port_rear_3_4_copy.jpg

SB_front_copy.jpg

Sb_3_4_good_copy.jpg

port_from_front_copy.jpg

overhead_port_good_copy.jpg

canopy_IP_port_copy.JPG

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

I like it! I especially like that it's displayed carrying practice weapons as more often than not most folks display models carrying the live variety. The practice weapons add a measure of realism to your Harrier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

I like it! I especially like that it's displayed carrying practice weapons as more often than not most folks display models carrying the live variety. The practice weapons add a measure of realism to your Harrier.

Thanks!   I appreciate your comments! 😀

1 hour ago, Remus389 said:

It looks like it's about to take off. 😎

Yes!  Of course it is;)  I like the way you're thinkin'!  :clap2:

16 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Not bad for an old un (as my girlfriend said just the other day). I'm impressed that you managed to keep it intact for so many years.

😁 From another old un, thanks so much Bertie!  :D I've kept it together only because it's been safely parked in a display cabinet for all those years, and only one two house moves since back then.  Here one can see her in the display; right hand cabinet, right end of second shelf...there she sits!

IMG_9211.JPG

Hey, thanks also to those who've left "likes" for my old Harrier!   Much appreciated folks!  :worthy:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Most of us would be more than happy with a model like that in our display cabinet Gary,  but it does show how much your skill have improved over the years as your F-102 proves. It also strikes me that you should show us a few more from that display, is that an intruder I see top right?

best regards

Peter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Farmerboy said:

Most of us would be more than happy with a model like that in our display cabinet Gary,  but it does show how much your skill have improved over the years as your F-102 proves. It also strikes me that you should show us a few more from that display, is that an intruder I see top right?

best regards

Peter.

Oh, thanks so much for those kind words my friend!  🍺  I appreciate that Peter.    Yes, you do spy with your eagle eye an Intruder.  But, it has been posted here already.   You might have just forgotten it, or perhaps missed her first time 'round.  :D

Libya Raider A6-E TRAM

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Nice and full cabinet!

Hard to find it in there amongst all these gems!

Yes sir, they are both rapidly approaching "no vacancy" status.  ;) There is room for another five or six 1/48 models, maybe.    I would have space for another somewhat narrower cabinet if I moved some ammunition cans.   That would be the space to the right of the green vault in this pic:

safe.jpg

doorway.jpg

You can see the proximity of that area to the existing display cabinets.

But, there's really no room for those cans anywhere else either.   Might be time to move...😁

Most of the ones seen in those two cabinets have been shown here.   But, there are several in there that need to go to an airport for their turn before the lens.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Looks great!  I worked on AV-8B harrier program for a time while at McDonnell and have a soft spot for the early cammo schemes!  I still would be proud of that build...  

Hey good day Bob!   Thanks for your comments!  :clap2:  She did look better than I expected out at the airport.    I shoulda done it long ago.   Not bad for an early effort I guess; I sure appreciate the comments Bob!   :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, BerndM said:

A bit late to the party but thats a smashing Harrier !

Always better late than never Bernd!  :D  Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate that my friend.  🍻

And thanks as well to Sky Keg for your like sir!  :worthy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

Always better late than never Bernd!  :D  Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate that my friend.  🍻

And thanks as well to Sky Keg for your like sir!  :worthy:

Cheers mate :)

• Like 1

Gary…………..not only my compliments on that “oldie turned into a goody” Harrier that you shared with us, but you have the proverbial “Playboy Mansion`s” of Man Caves.  I need to make a road trip to take it all in someday. :like:

Mike

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Gary…………..not only my compliments on that “oldie turned into a goody” Harrier that you shared with us, but you have the proverbial “Playboy Mansion`s” of Man Caves.  I need to make a road trip to take it all in someday. :like:

Mike

Heh, heh.   Well, thanks Mike, wish that "playboy mansion" had more room!  Or, perhaps her owner had less tendency to just well..."collect" sh*t. ;)    There really is a great deal of stuff in that study.   As you can see, there's no room for another display cabinet or another gun vault.    Right now, it seriously needs "organizing" before it starts feeling too cramped.   Here are a few more photos of my study; it may not look exactly like this now, but not too different either. 

And you are welcome here anytime Mike!  Come on down!  :thumbsup:

IMG_9210.JPG

IMG_9212.JPG

IMG_9221.JPG

IMG_9225.JPG

IMG_9213.JPG

IMG_9211.JPG

And here's a sneak peak at a finished model that hasn't been rightfully photographed yet, my Tamiya Meteor Prototype Number One:

IMG_9224.JPG

• Like 2

18 hours ago, John B said:

The fact that it has stood the test of time speaks well of how well it originally built 30 years ago.👍

Thank you John! 🍻   That is so nice of you to say that; I'm glad you found favor in the old girl! :worthy: