I don’t understand this universe any more

Heather Kay

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Emptying my vac cleaner cylinder today I found a model part in the debris as I did a quick check of it.

Nowt strange in that you say

But . . . . that model part has been missing for over 10 years and went missing in a different place, over 52 miles away!

so have you finished the kit now, or is it still on the shelf of shame?

enquiring minds need to know

• Haha 3

On 26/02/2022 at 14:09, Ratch said:

What is this obsession with guns - who has the biggest? Which is the best to shoot most people with?

Just because I happen to like shooting does not mean I want to shoot anyone or anything. I shoot targets plain and simple, it a skill I acquired as part of the excellent Duke of Edinburghs Award Scheme. 

I quite actively dislike shooting animals for sport and am against shooting people as well,

• Like 7

On 16/11/2021 at 14:18, Neil.C said:

Archie from WWI went on to be Flak (German abbreviation) in WWII and currently the US military use, "Triple A" (anti aircraft artillery). 

Probably being superseded as I speak. 😂

Came from  Fleiger Abwehr Kannonen, meaning anti aircraft battery/ artillery.

just for me I call it Uncle aircraft battery, anti-tank becomes Uncle-tank, uncle biotics, uncle lock braking etc🤣🤣😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤪🤡 it’s a quirk, habit.😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

so have you finished the kit now, or is it still on the shelf of shame?

enquiring minds need to know

Never even started it. 

51 minutes ago, Julien said:

Just because I happen to like shooting does not mean I want to shoot anyone or anything. I shoot targets plain and simple, it a skill I acquired as part of the excellent Duke of Edinburghs Award Scheme. 

I quite actively dislike shooting animals for sport and am against shooting people as well,

A wee story;

When I was involved in medieval history presentations we sometimes did 'have-a-go-archery'

We used paper targets pinned to straw butts

We often used paper targets which had animals printed on them. Animals such as deer, bears, et cetra

One day the host castle told us they had got numerous complaints about our targets. The host castle asked us to change the targets.

One of our members had a hoke in the kit and all we had were our air-soft gun targets - you know the one, the one with a soldier silhouette 

We put those up and there was nary a complaint about shooting at a human shape

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Emptying my vac cleaner cylinder today I found a model part in the debris as I did a quick check of it.

Nowt strange in that you say

But . . . . that model part has been missing for over 10 years and went missing in a different place, over 52 miles away!

Spooky

22 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Hey, Bob. They are on a loser then. At my age, I'll stick with what I have already. And that includes my money in my bank and not theirs.

I have a similar argument against the tube. The adverts that pop up all the time. You are annoying me, so no, I won't buy your product!

I'm with you all the way. :like:

• Like 1

Why do I get an average of 4-5 emails each day from "web designers" all saying they have looked at my business website and they think they can improve on it and get more leads.  

Something wrong with their eyesight.  My business doesn't have a web site - its not the business model :shrug:

I'm told not to respond but am tempted to ask them to have a detailed look and let me have their proposals :D

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Why do I get an average of 4-5 emails each day from "web designers" all saying they have looked at my business website and they think they can improve on it and get more leads.  

I get 'em too John.  Don't take it personally, as I doubt they even look at what you do before you get added to the list.  That would take effort, and spammers don't like that.  That's why they're spammers :shrug:

NEVER respond to a spam email, as that marks your email as kosher, and it will increase in value, so you'll get more spam. :boom:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Come on Bob! face it, your just a grumpy old North Yorkshire camugeon.............haven't got a CLUE what Pete the flat lander's @Pete in Lincs excuse is! :hmmm: :wicked:

Aw come on! I've only lived up here for just over 22 years, I'm sure I have to be here longer than that to get curmudgeon status.  :whistle:

Edited by Retired Bob
spelling error
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

I get 'em too John.  Don't take it personally, as I doubt they even look at what you do before you get added to the list.  That would take effort, and spammers don't like that.  That's why they're spammers :shrug:

NEVER respond to a spam email, as that marks your email as kosher, and it will increase in value, so you'll get more spam. :boom:

Thanks Mike - its what Ive been told before.  It was also pointed out that 90% of my spam comes from gmail addresses.  Seemingly gmail are lax about allowing spammers send out loads of the same email to companies etc.  

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm just a grumpy old North Lincolnshire curmudgeon!

Daytime TV? Visual Mogadon.

Grumpy - check, - OK

Old - check - OK

Curmudgeon - check - OK

North Lincolnshire  :analintruder:

:rofl2:

• Haha 3

Well, when I got to 21 I forgot to fill out and return the 'Adulthood' paperwork.

That Ladybird book, 'How to be a grown up' didn't help much either. And smoking a pipe filled with mixed shag made my throat sore.

No one said it was obligatory anyway. I just wing it from day to day. It's worked fairly well so far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well, North Lincolnshire ish. Just twelve miles North of the city. And anyway, I grew up in Leicester!

You mean you escaped from Leicester and took sanctuary in North Lincolnshire ish. :whistle:

For me it was escaping from Brum, traipsing round the country and various parts of the world and ending up at the top of North Yorkshire, 20 miles or so from where it gets a bit smoggy. 🙄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnT said:

Thanks Mike - its what Ive been told before.  It was also pointed out that 90% of my spam comes from gmail addresses.  Seemingly gmail are lax about allowing spammers send out loads of the same email to companies etc.  

and yet the hypocritical bar stewards often send our emails to spam and occasional just disappear them. I wish there were more alternatives to Google now they’ve become Evil.corp

• Like 5

On 2/28/2022 at 5:54 PM, Retired Bob said:

Aw come on! I've only lived up here for just over 22 years, I'm sure I have to be here longer than that to get curmudgeon status.  :whistle:

Been told it's 25 years to become a blow in, can't really say how old for curmudgeon status......though I have it on good authority you HAVE previous!

On 2/28/2022 at 6:15 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Well, North Lincolnshire ish. Just twelve miles North of the city. And anyway, I grew up in Leicester!

Nowt wrong with Leicestershire, please note I said nothing about Leicester! I even employed Gary Linekers cousin.....well, someone had to....

Personally, I tell folk I came up here on missionary work.......

• Haha 7

On a lark, I started reading this thread and observed how it took on a life of its own, growing and expanding and evolving.  It has been a most enjoyable read.   I've especially appreciated the American butchering of the English language from the perspective of your side of the pond, versus the plain-speaking, easy to understand sayings from this side of the pond's perspective.  It also seems there is a North versus South aspect regarding proper pronunciation just as there is in this country.  That was most illuminating.  Please continue on with the meanderings of this topic.  It's like a novel that will has a beginning, plot twists throughout, but an ending is not in sight.  I applaud all those who contributed to this thread.

• Like 3

On 3/8/2022 at 1:41 AM, Biggles87 said:

Good to see you on BM again George.

John

Trying to get back in the swing of modeling again.  After a series of back surgeries, joint replacements and a bit of cancer treatment I think I can concentrate and actually do some, hopefully, mediocre modeling.  I am not setting my sights high.  I have the recent Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire box opened and have at least begun some preliminary work on it.  Do not know if I will do a work in progress as it will be more a strained, kicking and dragging across the field, snail piece.  I have missed the humor and warmth on this site.  And, I miss Nigel.

• Like 5