I don’t understand this universe any more

Heather Kay

12 hours ago, treker_ed said:

PC building enthusiasts can take things a little over the top at times. In order to get stable voltages and temperatures, some have resorted to using mineral oil when "overclocking" the CPU on their computer. The whole of the computer system is dunked in a bath of oil. So you can safely say it's submerged in oil. So it is actually safe to use the phrase submerged in water, as something could be submerged in another liquid. Okay I'll freely accept that it can be completely redundant when talking about flooding, then it's absolutely obvious that it's water, but..... I have seen a working PC submerged in oil! Just do a google search - PC in Oil!

The salient point there is that you have correctly said "submerged in" rather than "submerged under". Objects could be submerged under the boat, or submerged in the boat (if it's sinking).  But it's not the same place!

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-59451549

quote " 'Selfish' resident says air ambulance woke them up  "

I think I must agree with that resident; I mean, a couple of months ago a neighbour, several doors away, was inconsiderate and had a major house fire which was attended by 3 fire-engines, 2 ambulances and 1 police car, all with sirens and blue lights flashing. At 04.30, until about 07.00. It woke everyone up. I mean how inconsiderate of all those involved. It was really quite unnecessary, they could have arranged it for later in the day!

(written in total sarcasm mode)

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Why don’t  people  have problems anymore?  They have issues…..

”I could care less”. Well go on then, care less!

A recent trend I’ve noticed is to use only one f in off. Off and of mean two totally different things, how can people get something so simple wrong?

Graham, who is now on blood pressure medication.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, GrahamS said:

A recent trend I’ve noticed is to use only one f in off. Off and of mean two totally different things, how can people get something so simple wrong?

Another one that really winds me up are people that start a sentence with 'So'....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Another one that really winds me up are people that start a sentence with 'So'....

It pains me to say that I’m guilty of that…..

SoGraham

• Haha 5

53 minutes ago, GrahamS said:

Yes, that one really winds me up too. 

People who say it think it's a clever comeback to "I couldn't care less", when in reality it just makes them sound like complete idiots.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, -Ian- said:

Yes, that one really winds me up too. 

People who say it think it's a clever comeback to "I couldn't care less", when in reality it just makes them sound like complete idiots.

They may sound that way for a very good reason ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

On 29/11/2021 at 16:53, GrahamS said:

There, their & they're,

To & too

• Like 6

One I heard earlier, from the mouth of an actual bona fide professor no less…

"This is going to be an issue, going forward into the future."

So, breaking that down, we have the future tense of the verb "to go", as well as two superfluous jargon terms that mean the same thing. Three ways of saying the same thing in one sentence. I think I’m going to have to go and have a lie down to get over that one.

• Haha 8

Incorrect use of ‘myself’.

I frequently see it in written form at work.

E.G. ‘If you wish to attend please notify myself’.

I think the writer generally thinks this is formal and official but is completely wrong and to me sounds both pompous and ignorant.

Only I can throw a ball to myself but you can throw it to yourself or to me. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

and Thurrrr (far up north) and Therbee (down yere).  :giggle:

Werrs it to?

On the eponymous Farcebook page of said Somerset town, "Langport - where it's to!"

Cheers,

Mark

(Somerset lad exiled to Derbyshire!)

15 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Are you sure he was a professor and not a doctor,sounds earily similar....

No, she was definitely a prof. I’ll overlook the accidental everyday sexism that assumes the male prerogative. :wink:

• Haha 8

I don't understand the new fashion for email signatures (those pre-formatted ones that you set up for your work emails) to include a gender definition.

I've received a number of them at work in recent weeks from different organisations.

Example:
Fred Bloggs (he, him, his)
Acme Construction Ltd
Tel: 0000
Email: [email protected]

Wouldn't 'Mr. Fred Bloggs' provide the same indicator?

I thought the whole point of gender equality was that we shouldn't be labelling ourselves (or others)...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Another annoying phrase  that you hear from the newsreaders,  "Nuclear tipped missile." 

It has obviously been dipped in Radium!

Selwyn

I've often wondered if there would be a thoughtfull quiet moment if someone being interviewed said about WMD or MAD while they tried to work out what they meant....

On 29/11/2021 at 16:53, GrahamS said:

Why don’t  people  have problems anymore?  They have issues…..

Graham, who is now on blood pressure medication.

Other than impact, which I noticed was misused in the Hornby programme on Monday, I fail to understand why so many people use loose for lose.

But then I'm a grumpy old pedant .....

• Like 5