I don’t understand this universe any more

Heather Kay

8 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Finding a conversation partner fluent in 150BC Latin might be a bit of a challenge, I suspect :D

Tempora mutantur...  I like knowing Latin is a dead language because I hated it. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

This thread has been fun and I look forward to my morning read.  It seems like I am becoming more like Abraham Simpson and Oscar Leroy every day ( for those who may not know, Oscar Leroy is a reference to the Canadian TV show Corner Gas ).

It seems that there is no one specifically or in general that we can blame for this unabated mangling of language. Rather, in large part it is due to the unintended consequences of the good intentions of those trying to do good.

To wit, I offer this missive on the subject: https://www.noslangues-ourlanguages.gc.ca/en/blogue-blog/canadian-spelling-eng?wbdisable=true  

I will leave you with two short writings on the subject of language; the last one a poem.

This one has been around for a long while:  https://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/european-commission.html All in jest and quite likely well known by members here:

And lastly a poem which started small and grew to became a Candidate for a Pullet Prize https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidate_for_a_Pullet_Surprise

http://www.graceguts.com/poems-by-others/candidate-for-a-pullet-surprise

cheers, Graham

Very witty. I prefer the pithy version though; the other was TLDR for me.

6 hours ago, tonyh said:

My snob of a neighbour runs a Yoga class in her garden during the summer months.

I cringe every time she instructs her class to ‘exhale out’.

More money than sense!

Tony

Would be fun to see people try to exhale in, then inhale out, then keel over from asphyxia.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:08 AM, jackroadkill said:

Don't get me started....  This is what greets me every morning when I arrive at the car park at work:

spacer.png

Where do you start?!

Well, it should be Grocerie's and Cake's, for starters.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, IanHx said:

...   and I really dont understand how the Scotland vs Japan rugby commentator can call a pair of Typhoons flying overhead "Tornado jets" ....🤬

The answer's in your post - "rugby commentator". By definition, not the sharpest chisel in the toolbox ...

• Haha 4

On 18/11/2021 at 13:38, ColonelKrypton said:

Oscar Leroy every day ( for those who may not know, Oscar Leroy is a reference to the Canadian TV show Corner Gas )

Got my family hooked on that in live-action and animated forms ^_^ Jackasses!

• Haha 2

One that I’ve seen cropping up recently on these hallowed internet pages that bugs me is ‘fitment’ in relation to how well pieces of a kit go together. No, it’s just fit! Fitment relates to a fixed piece of equipment or furniture.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

One that I’ve seen cropping up recently on these hallowed internet pages that bugs me is ‘fitment’ in relation to how well pieces of a kit go together. No, it’s just fit! Fitment relates to a fixed piece of equipment or furniture.

To be fair, English is not the first language of many BM members so we should not get too stressed about misuse. After all many of our English speakers don't even have a 2nd language!

Cheers

Colin

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ckw said:

To be fair, English is not the first language of many BM members so we should not get too stressed about misuse. After all many of our English speakers don't even have a 2nd language!

Cheers

Colin

Colin, it wasn’t a dig at members for whom English isn’t their first language, I fully appreciate that and have no issue with those. It was a comment on word creep, like the rest of this thread, by members whose first language is (or appears to be) English. It’s not just this forum, I just used that as an example of it occurring. Didn’t mean to cause offence.

Edited by bigfoot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Here’s one I heard from across the pond… "submerged under water".

:tmi:

PC building enthusiasts can take things a little over the top at times. In order to get stable voltages and temperatures, some have resorted to using mineral oil when "overclocking" the CPU on their computer. The whole of the computer system is dunked in a bath of oil. So you can safely say it's submerged in oil. So it is actually safe to use the phrase submerged in water, as something could be submerged in another liquid. Okay I'll freely accept that it can be completely redundant when talking about flooding, then it's absolutely obvious that it's water, but..... I have seen a working PC submerged in oil! Just do a google search - PC in Oil!

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 2

It can also be used as in "David has submerged himself in his work".  Or similarly buried.  People can be drowning in their woes.  The meaning in these cases is usually clear from the context,

As for "priority", isn't this just the inability of the English to roll their "r"s  in the same way that the Scots and speakers of other languages do?

I can understand needing to specify which fluid things have been submerged in, though the correct term would "immerse". 

submerge | səbˈməːdʒ | verb [with object] cause (something) to be under water

ORIGIN early 17th century: from Latin submergere, from sub- ‘under’ + mergere ‘to dip’.

The problem is I don't understand this universe any more. :blink:

• Haha 1

I used to work in a shop that sold Hi Fi units. The number of times someone came up to me and asked 'Can I see what that sounds like?' was incredible.

I did not dare say 'No'

Ray

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

I used to work in a shop that sold Hi Fi units. The number of times someone came up to me and asked 'Can I see what that sounds like?' was incredible.

I did not dare say 'No'

Ray

Maybe the best reply to that is "If you have synaesthesia, perhaps".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1