Aichi M6A1 "Seiran" (Tamiya 1/72)

Hi everyone

Here is my latest finished kit. This time I choose the excellent Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1 - Seiran.

I've built the kit straight from the box except for the PE seat belts and the scratch built pitot tube made out of syringe needle.

The model was fully painted using Tamiya acrylic paint.

Interior: XF-71 Interior Green

Underside: Prototype Orange 5:X-6 + 2:X-7

Upper camouflage: XF-70 Dark Green 2

The Hinomaru were painted instead of using the kit decals. However, all the other markings were kit supplied decals.

Japanese prototype aircraft were painted in bright orange color, but with the end of the war fasting approaching, the Japanese had to apply the camouflage green on the upper surfaces. Most of stencils were masked off before painting the green camouflage as can been seen in some photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The tail marking are not confirmed since all photos of this version don't show the tail/rudder area.

Weathering made using Tamiya accent panel, watercolour pencil and dry pastel.

To the photos:

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+10.jpg

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+11.jpg

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+12.jpg

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+13.jpg

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+14.jpg

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+15.jpg

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+16.jpg

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+17.jpg

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+18.jpg

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+19.jpg

Aichi+M6A1+Seiran+-+20.jpg

As usual, comments and critics are truly welcomed!

Cheers!

Paulo

• Like 48

8 hours ago, Maginot said:

That's a very nice model indeed. You've gotta love a seaplane %~))

That’s my first ever seaplane built to be honest and I also not big fan of Japanese aircraft 

On 11/16/2021 at 12:57 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

Very good painting, especially the yellow (always difficult)

Not always difficult, but always a  PIA!  

But, yes, that came out very nicely.  And thanks for giving the paints used.  Always especially interested in that aspect of a build.   

Bob C

Edited by Bob C.
  • Like 1

That's a brilliant build!  Exceptional skills!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

For some reason, I'm reminded of my young days (circa mid-70's) looking through the Tamiya catalogue, drooling over the beautiful builds.

• Thanks 1

Best 1/72 Seiran build I have seen! Agree completely with the  comments made regarding the paintwork and weathering. I remember seeing the NASM Seiran at the old Silverhill, MD facility while it was being restored. back in the 90's. The fuselage was  restored and was sitting shrink wrapped on a dolly. The technician who was restoring the instrument panels and cockpits had the panels and an old Aoshima 1/72 Seiran model on his workbench!  :giggle:

Mike

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bob C. said:

Not always difficult, but always a  PIA!  

But, yes, that came out very nicely.  And thanks for giving the paints used.  Always especially interested in that aspect of a build.   

Bob C

No worries mate. Happy to help

16 hours ago, kapam said:

That's a brilliant build!  Exceptional skills!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

For some reason, I'm reminded of my young days (circa mid-70's) looking through the Tamiya catalogue, drooling over the beautiful builds.

Thanks heaps mate

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Best 1/72 Seiran build I have seen! Agree completely with the  comments made regarding the paintwork and weathering. I remember seeing the NASM Seiran at the old Silverhill, MD facility while it was being restored. back in the 90's. The fuselage was  restored and was sitting shrink wrapped on a dolly. The technician who was restoring the instrument panels and cockpits had the panels and an old Aoshima 1/72 Seiran model on his workbench!  :giggle:

Mike

Cheers 

that’s a cool story