1/72 - Fairey Battle Mk.I by FRROM - 3D renders+sprues design+box art+decals+schemes - release in April-May 2024

Homebee

I had wanted to say Alpha Jet, but the only major conflicts that type was involved in were fights between instructors and students; I don't think that counts. So erm... ?

Jay

PS Wait! Wikipedia says they participated in the Western Sahara War. Pretty major no? Hey who knows?

Edited by Mountain goat
Had an idea
  • Haha 3

I assume when they say..........

D1.2     Built at more than 200 units

.............they mean more than 200 of this aircraft were produced?

My French is poor you see ............... 🤔

Terry

The term “major conflict” obviously includes WWI, WWII, Korean War, and the Vietnam War, but what else?

Suez?

Gulf War I?

GWOT (Iraq and Afghanistan)?

Falklands?

In addition, when they say done in IM plastic more than 30 years ago does that mean in every scale or just the particular scale this kit is in, which I’m assuming will be 1/72?

My earlier idea of Douglas DB 7 (or Havoc 1) fails as it was never kitted as injection model. The second idea of Breguet XIX also filed, although it was produced above 200 of them it was also produced above 1000 of them, moreover some number took part in WW2, but generally it was interwar airplane. It was injected kit by Polish Hit-Kit, but this was an extremely rare  model. The next idea - the Fairey Fox family - any of them was never issued as injected kit. Then perhaps ANF Les Mureaux 115/117?  Interesting!

J-W

Does the AMD Etendard/Super Etendard not fit the bill 🤔 especially as the anniversary is next year.

Obviously built after 1949 so no chance!

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert
News updated

12 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

I’ve investigated the Spanish Civil War but couldn’t come up with an appropriate 30 year old kit !

Breguet XIX

I voted for this one yesterday. Fits in with any given tip: over 200 were built, took part in major conflict, injected kit was released once in 1987. Besides, it fits perfectly with FR.ROM's publishing profile, and on top of that, this model is sorely lacking. After the success of the Potez 25, it seems a natural choice. Of course, today's hints may rule him out, but for now I have no better candidate who also guarantees financial success.

18 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

over 200 were built,

Well, I hope you win! That clue puzzles me though, why say over 200? Many many aircraft fit that clue. Your suggestion for example had over 2,500 according to Wikipia. 

I think it will be something where just over 200 were built, but I have no clue other than that!

Terry

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Richard123 said:

I reckon Fairey Battle, today's clue says production finished before 1949 which is when the Battle was withdrawn from service.

I thought that but as pointed out earlier, MPM produced an injection moulded in 2000 ?

3 hours ago, JWM said:

My earlier idea of Douglas DB 7 (or Havoc 1) fails as it was never kitted as injection model.

Unless you count the High Planes Models short run injection moulded DB-7 / Havoc 1 / Turbinlite 1 kits:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/high-planes-models-72043-douglas-db-7--1140342

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-models-limited-run-hpmk072040-douglas-db-7-havoc-turbinlite/

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-douglas-havoc-1-raf-intruder-kit-1-72/

But based on the Scalemates information, it doesn't pass the "Produced more than 30 years ago" condition.

Jonathan.

• Thanks 1

The Lioré & Olivier LeO 451 fits the bill quite well. Over 500 were produced. The wingspan is just under 23m. It suffered heavy losses during the Battle of France. Production continued in Vichy France until 1945. The aircraft was retired in the early 1950s. The only IM kit I am aware of is the Heller kit from 1966.

4 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

D2.1     Suffered heavy losses, when not properly employed

D2.2     Wingspan : less than 23 meters

D2.3     Production ceased before 1949

On 11/17/2021 at 6:11 PM, matford said:

D1.1     Was involved in a major conflict

D1.2     Built at more than 200 units

D1.3     Already done in injection in 1/72 nd more than 30 years ago

All six French WW2 twins fit the bill properly - they were all involved in THE major conflict.

The wing span of Potez 540, MB200, MB210 and LeO451 ranges from 22 to 23m, MB170 and Br690 are even smaller, spanning under 18 and under 16m, respectively.

Of these six, only MB175 was also manufactured after WW2, but production ceased in 1947.

LeO and Br690 have suffered heavy losses due to improper employment.

All six were kitted only once in 1:72 - MB200 by KzP 35 years ago, while the other five by Heller more than 50 years ago (which is still "more than 30" too)

All six were built at more than 200 units, with the MB200, MB210 and Br690 at more than 300 and the LeO at more than 500 (so still "more than 200" too).

A few years ago, Azur even announced a new tool MB174 kit that never came out. Only these "heavy losses" don't fit there - the MB170 was one of the most successful French twins in the 1940 war.  

So maybe the Bre 690 ????? The three boxes may represent the 691, 693 and the P&W-engined 695.

Cheers

Michael

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Lioré & Olivier LeO 451 fits the bill quite well. Over 500 were produced. The wingspan is just under 23m. It suffered heavy losses during the Battle of France. Production continued in Vichy France until 1945. The aircraft was retired in the early 1950s. The only IM kit I am aware of is the Heller kit from 1966.

Indeed, Leo 451 is a good candidate. Perhaps even better than my recent guess of Mureaux 115/117. Last year I constructed Leo by Heller and it really needs the replacement....

I do not have hope for Breguet XIX here, I still wish that some company will do it.

J-W