Erla drop tank mount for Fw 190 A info wanted

Ingo Ritz

Is this the same tank that you were asking about?

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/56078-question-on-ta-152-drop-tank-attachment-points/

See if the two photos below are of any use. They were captioned as having Erla tanks and racks. You didn't specify a scale, but perhaps either the 1/72 or 1/48 Eduard Fw-190A-8 kit might include the tank and rack- worth a look at the kit or going to the Eduard site and downloading the instructions. Best I can do from my references.

Mike

https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2001/09/stuff_eng_dacoba_fw190.htm

Both images below via the il2Sturmovik website:

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A7-6.JG26-Brown-4-Walde

Focke-Wulf-Fw190-A-8-Josef-Pips-Priller-

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Thanks 1

Thank you 72modeler, the photos you have posted may be the racks in question. 

I am interested in Brown 13 as illustrated in Kagero's  publication on JG 26...

spacer.png

I am contemplating a build in 1/32 scale, but would like to confirm the drop tank rack first. 

Thank you Giampiero!  The photos and drawings you posted are very helpful, and show modifications to the tank as well as the rack.  The accompanying text makes reference to FRB Erla in Antwerp being involved, apparently in design and construction.  Most likely the additional bracing on the tank was a field modification.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

You've gotta love the chap standing smoking a cigarette next to the tank on the wheeled dolly above!

Empty or full (and the caption would suggest the latter) he's literally playing with fire!

SD

Fritz asks, "Hast du ein licht?"  To which Horst replies, "Dummy- du bekommst gleich einen!" :angry:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Fritz asks, "Hast du ein licht?"  To which Horst replies, "Dummy- du bekommst gleich einen!" :angry:

That would work for Hogan's Heroes or Inglourious Basterds (maybe even go as Russian in The Great Escape), but to be pedantic:

Licht (nown, starts with a capital "L") is a "light" (lamp, or just the light emitted by a lamp, but with "ein" rather a lamp than the lamp's light), not a match which would be called Streichholz ("Hast Du mal ein Streichholz?") or Feuer ("Hast Du mal Feuer?"), and "Licht" is neuter, so the reply should be "Dummchen, Du kriegst gleich eines!" or "Dummchen, Dir wird gleich eines aufgehen!" (you will be enlightend) - but it just doesn't quite work in German all the way.

Maybe

Q: "Hast Du mal Feuer?" (Would you have a light)

A: "Ich feuer Dir gleich eine!" (I'll give you a slap in the face!)

Imagine the trouble dubbing a movie. In case you meet a Frenchman pretending to be a German, let him say "Streichholzschächtelchen" (small box of matches) and listen closely :laugh:

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

Imagine the trouble dubbing a movie.

In the three years my Father and our family was stationed at Wiesbaden, 1965-68, at Lindsey Air Station, I'm afraid I didn't learn to speak German very well. (Seems like all the Germans  except some of the elders spoke German and English!) Add to that, idiomatic and slang expressions don't always translate, and Google Translator isn't all it's cracked up to be. Poor attempt at humor on my part, Jochen. Es tut mir leid! Better yet- Lo siento mucho!

Mike

Focke Wulfs uber alles!

Edited by 72modeler
added text

From what I've pieced together this this rack was designed and built by the Erla VII factory near Antwerp.  Erla VII had set up shop in the former Minerva factory, initially repairing Bf 109s, Ju 87s and later Fw 190s.  Apparently a request came directly from JG 26 for something better than the standard ETC 501 rack. Erla designed and fabricated a simple light weight design that required modification to the drop tanks. 

The Erla rack can be seen on Fw 190 A-7 and A-8 machines of JG 26.  JG 2 had at least one A-8 with the Erla rack.  In the late summer of 1944 Erla VII was abandoned to the advancing allied forces, and that was presumably the end of it.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

In the three years my Father and our family was stationed at Wiesbaden, 1965-68, at Lindsey Air Station, I'm afraid I didn't learn to speak German very well. (Everybody except the elders spoke German and English!) Add to that, idiomatic and slang expressions don't always translate, and Google Translator isn't all it's cracked up to be. Poor attempt at humor on my part, Jochen. Es tut mir leid! Better yet- Lo siento mucho!

Mike

Focke Wulfs uber alles!

No problem! I wasn't objecting, I was just trying to show off.

In the early days of machine transaltion "Der Geist ist willig aber das Fleisch ist schwach" (the mind/spirit is willing but the meat (body) is weak) translated into Russian and back to German supposedly gave "the spirits are weak and the meat is cheap" (or vice versa or something like that) and in German some say "Der Geist ist schwach aber das Fleisch ist willig!" (the mind is weak but the meat is wanton).

Anyway, Heinz Schultz smoking right next to that 300l droptank seems a bit "optimistic".

• Haha 1