Miniart ball tank

Ozzy

I picked one of these up and thought it would be a bit of fun, I wasn’t disappointed it’s a really nice build. It’s got a full interior with plenty of detail, my plan is to do it in a battle of Berlin. Toppled over with a dazed crew bailing out with some Volkssturm troops to capture them.

FAC5277-C-8-C4-C-46-F4-8866-897-B809-C65

149254-A4-951-D-4586-BC9-E-1-F3-B8761-F4

5-A73-E220-5588-49-A6-8-D28-B216-B52-C2-

6-DE0-AB9-E-A5-BD-4281-BBFC-D16-EFA22046

BCFAFCB8-38-D4-4-EBF-A4-EA-01115-F0-D37-

C88-EAA97-258-A-49-F0-A826-1-BCF0232-CD1

CAE32-FC8-06-F4-4-A33-AC08-2321-CDDAD731

E8416406-26-D2-4-A24-B2-EF-82-FEDA756-ED

• Like 16

16 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Odd looking things, like something out of Star Wars. Good luck on your dio. It sounds an intriguing idea.👍

Seconded!

Looking like a very promising, really interesting build. I will watch with interest, if I may.

Vytautas

• Like 1

While this particular Russian ball tank did not exist (did it on paper?), Germany did build a "kugelpanzer" ball tank design as kitted by AMG and more recently by Das Werk.  It is at the Kubinka tank museum near Moscow (below).  Apparently Russia has prevented any metallurgical sampling of its armour, said to be only 5mm thick, after taking their own samples.

For anyone interested, there is an excellent history of ball and monowheel tank and vehicle designs here: http://www.tankarchives.ca/2019/05/in-search-of-perfect-sphere.html  The idea is older than you might think.........

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Odd looking things, like something out of Star Wars. Good luck on your dio. It sounds an intriguing idea.👍

Cheers Stef,

It would sit well in a Star Wars episode. 

10 hours ago, edjbartos said:

I do like a Miniart kit and always wondered what these look like to build. Looks interesting , you have done a nice clean build here. Interesting to see how this will look like when finished. Looks good...

Ed

Thanks Ed,

I got if for a really good price on an auction site as it looked like a fun build with no end of possibilities. For a paper panzer there has been some thought gone into the interior.

7 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Now that's a really cute build I must say!

Cheers

LM

Cheers LM,

it most certainly is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vytautas said:

Seconded!

Looking like a very promising, really interesting build. I will watch with interest, if I may.

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas,

I will hopefully have the build finished this week.

3 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

While this particular Russian ball tank did not exist (did it on paper?), Germany did build a "kugelpanzer" ball tank design as kitted by AMG and more recently by Das Werk.  It is at the Kubinka tank museum near Moscow (below).  Apparently Russia has prevented any metallurgical sampling of its armour, said to be only 5mm thick, after taking their own samples.

For anyone interested, there is an excellent history of ball and monowheel tank and vehicle designs here: http://www.tankarchives.ca/2019/05/in-search-of-perfect-sphere.html  The idea is older than you might think.........

spacer.png

Cheers for the info Das abteilung,

I had read somewhere there was a ball concept, you can see where Miniart got their inspiration from.

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Was it the Panjandrum that featured in an episode of Dad's Army? I remember an explosive wheel causing "panic" amongst the platoon.

Hopefully this one will stay upright and not follow the platoon 🤣.

• Haha 1

On 18/11/2021 at 19:40, diablo rsv said:

That looks like an interesting subject. Looking forward to see how you progress with it.

Wayne

thanks Wayne,

I think because it is a little different is what drew me to the build.

got some paint on today.

49405-F54-E6-AB-4-D20-9-A03-99-CF6-BD63-

5-AAF3-D80-CADC-4-D6-A-A871-5537-B50-F7-

D35-FD7-AE-BE25-4753-83-A9-E46-B97-E0-C0

F33-CB219-3-F90-41-EE-B331-FD3765235-C5-

FB1730-C0-1-DDF-4-EB3-A42-E-EA292-AF2320

• Like 9

9 hours ago, John_W said:

Totally bonkers.

I can imagine the differential sizing up and turning the thing in to an armoured spin dryer for the unfortunate crew.

It’s certainly is totally bonkers,

that’s my plan, having been hit by a panzerfäust that the crew emerge a little dazed as its spun off unexpectedly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Looking good Ozzy.👍

Cheers Stef,

I thought I’d hand paint rather than use the decals, hopefully I haven’t offended anyone with my Russian slogan?

A65-F38-C7-F697-48-AB-A05-D-394492-B4-E4

• Like 7

I'm just reading a book about the development of the tank. This one has interesting parallels with the British WW1 tanks.

The crew are crammed in with the engine and the armour is thin. At least in 1917 they could (almost) see where they were going!

Nice model though, and I look forward to seeing your diorama.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm just reading a book about the development of the tank. This one has interesting parallels with the British WW1 tanks.

The crew are crammed in with the engine and the armour is thin. At least in 1917 they could (almost) see where they were going!

Nice model though, and I look forward to seeing your diorama.

Cheers Pete,

there are a lot of similarities even the exhaust terminates inside the ball, not sure how long you’d last battened down. It’s even more interesting that the Germans planned something similar.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

there are a lot of similarities even the exhaust terminates inside the ball, not sure how long you’d last battened down. It’s even more interesting that the Germans planned something similar.

These tanks seem to have been designed by the Germans for the Russians and the Russians for the Germans. Since they hated each other, they tried their best! :D
Nevertheless, it looks very interesting. Really good job!

Vytautas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/11/2021 at 18:55, vytautas said:

These tanks seem to have been designed by the Germans for the Russians and the Russians for the Germans. Since they hated each other, they tried their best! :D
Nevertheless, it looks very interesting. Really good job!

Vytautas

Cheers Vytautas

• Like 1