Southern Europe GB Chat

Wez

On 3/10/2023 at 12:06 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Please excuse my lack of geographical knowledge here, however can anyone provide some post-war French aviation examples that might fit this category? 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

I see, Dave, that Patrice has covered your question. We all look forward yo seeing what you pluck from that selection ;)

Martin

• Like 1

Good day all,

Apologies for not replying sooner, I've been travelling with work and had limited internet access, then yesterday I was suffering from a bit of jet-lag, but having had a great night's sleep I'm hopefully over that nonsense now.

Thanks to Patrice @TEMPESTMK5 for providing that comprehensive list to which I can add the following Aéronavale base:

Nîmes-Garons in the Gars department of the Occitanie region.

I think Patrice's advice offers the best recommendation

On 10/03/2023 at 12:47, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I can only advise you to do some research according to the type of aircraft you intend to represent, the units that used it and the time .

As an example after the reconquest of Corsica by the allied forces in 1943 and until the end of the war in 1945 a lot of units of the allied air forces operated from airfields located in the island and sometimes for hardly some months and this is also the case for other airfields located in Southern France  ..

I've limited the regions of France to Occitanie, Provence-Alpes-Côte D'Azur and Corse (Corsica):

Occitanie (Occitaine) includes the coastal departments of Aude, Gars, Hérault and Pyrénées-Orient.

Provence-Alpes-Côte-D'Azur includes the coastal departments of Alpes-Maritimes, Bouches-du-Rhône and Var.

Whilst there is the potential for some wriggle room I don't want to extend the area too far into France or I might as well just include the whole of France which is really not the intention of the GB.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Wez

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

I see, Dave, that Patrice has covered your question. We all look forward yo seeing what you pluck from that selection ;)

Martin

Thanks Martin, although I’ve spent a short while researching something suitable, I’ve not come up with anything firm as yet. Sure looks like a nice place to take Mrs RL on a holiday though!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Martin, although I’ve spent a short while researching something suitable, I’ve not come up with anything firm as yet. Sure looks like a nice place to take Mrs RL on a holiday though!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Good afternoon Dave

I am sure that Mrs RL would appreciate to spend a few weeks of holidays  in Southern France ..

if you look for post war french aircraft :

"Please excuse my lack of geographical knowledge here, however can anyone provide some post-war French aviation examples that might fit this category? 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave *"

You will be interested to know that the 5e Escadre de Chasse was base on the Orange Caritat Air Base from april 1945 until the 2020's and operated  the following aircraft :

De Havilland Vampire FB.5 (1950-1954)

SNCASE Mistral (1954-1956)

Dassault Mystère IIC (1956-1957)

Dassault Mystère IV A (1958-1961)

Dassault Super Mystère B2 (1961-1966)

Dassault Mirage III C (1966-1975)

Dassault Mirage F1C (1975-1990)

Dassault Mirage F1B (1981-1990)

Dassault Mirage 2000C (1988-1995)

Special Hobby provides the markings for anDassault Super Mystère B.2  of the EC 1/5 Vendée coded 60/5-NJ based in 1961 at  Orange-Caritat Air Base ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An excellent list Patrice @TEMPESTMK5 and certainly quite a few potential subjects that are more than possible. With so many great GB’s on offer this year I’ll struggle to build more than one here and I’ve already hinted at a possible Italian F-86 build. Only yesterday I took the opportunity to buy a cheap Meng Fiat G.91 with Portuguese markings, so that’s another potential choice. I’d like to do something a little different so who know’s what gets plucked from the stash when the time arrives. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

An excellent list Patrice @TEMPESTMK5 and certainly quite a few potential subjects that are more than possible. With so many great GB’s on offer this year I’ll struggle to build more than one here and I’ve already hinted at a possible Italian F-86 build. Only yesterday I took the opportunity to buy a cheap Meng Fiat G.91 with Portuguese markings, so that’s another potential choice. I’d like to do something a little different so who know’s what gets plucked from the stash when the time arrives. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

Good morning Dave

I understand you perfectly ..

Have fun with whatever kit you will choose for this Gb ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Today I moved the next batch of kits from The Stash to The Ledge.  I was concerned to see that the two Special Hobby Mirage F1s for this groupbuild are the last in The Stash.  :yikes: 

Good evening Enzo

Ho my god !!!! only 2 SH Mirage F1 left in your stash I can't believe it how can it be possible ? Did you fall victim to a burglar ?

I hope you can get more ...

Best regards

Patrice

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

the two Special Hobby Mirage F1s for this groupbuild are the last in The Stash.  :yikes: 

1. Spanish and Greek?

2. Buy more Mirage F.1s

32 minutes ago, Wez said:

1. Spanish and Greek?

Yep.  The Spanish aircraft in the overall light grey air police scheme and the Greek aircraft in the Aegean Ghost scheme.

32 minutes ago, Wez said:

2. Buy more Mirage F.1s

I'm going to have to.  I want to do a camouflaged Spanish aircraft in the Desert GB.

• Like 2

I've had a change of plan for this one, which originally was going to be a Martin Maryland. 

There are 2 reasons

1. I can't find the Maryland :facepalm:

2. I've found something,  very me, ie, completely eclectic instead ! :yahoo:

Now just the simple matter of getting about a half dozen current builds completed :whistle:

Cheers Pat  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I've had a change of plan for this one, which originally was going to be a Martin Maryland. 

There are 2 reasons

Now just the simple matter of getting about a half dozen current builds completed :whistle:

Cheers Pat  

Shame about the Maryland, but you've got me curious about what you're going to do instead.

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

There are 2 reasons

Cheers Pat  

Don't Special Hobby do one, Pat?

• Like 1

On 12/04/2023 at 18:57, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Ho my god !!!! only 2 SH Mirage F1 left in your stash I can't believe it how can it be possible ? Did you fall victim to a burglar ?

I hope you can get more ...

Problem solved by that nice Mr Kingkit who was very happy to sell me a couple.  Cheap as chips! :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Found markings for a Spanish Armada Sea King that operated in Iraq in 2003, so count me in for this one.

Great to have you along mate

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Sam said:

Come on, come on, I want to start with my Greek F-16!!!!

Just over three weeks to go.

2 hours ago, Sam said:

Does the 25% rule apply in this GB? I will start with the ordnance if so. 

Yes it does, standard for all GBs I believe

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wez said:

Yes it does, standard for all GBs I believe

Yippee! 
I have a set of eduard‘s GBU-31 JDAMs and a set of eduard’s IRIS-Ts which I plan to load onto the F-16 of the 340th Sqdrn of the Hellenic Air Force. 😎

• Like 1

I've just realised that the SAAF option in this kit (the one with 4*20mm cannons), is based at Gioia del Colle, Southern Italy.

I've looked it up, about an hours drive from Taranto.  

I'm hoping you can let me in with this.

Airfix-Spitfire-VC.jpg

Start would be delayed until end of Aug - as I have a VERY similarly coloured Hurricane IID for the Desert GB.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I've just realised that the SAAF option in this kit (the one with 4*20mm cannons), is based at Gioia del Colle, Southern Italy.

I've looked it up, about an hours drive from Taranto.  

I'm hoping you can let me in with this.

Italy based so it qualifies as far as I'm concerned, looking forward to your build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/11/2021 at 20:31, Wez said:

Cars raced in the Monaco GP would be acceptable too.

I have a Heller Bugatti T50. They did't race at Monaco but three of them at Le Mans.
Is that southern too?

Edited by paul-muc